Other language? Same decks?

By larryhoteep, in KeyForge

I dont know if the decks/cards will be translated, but could that mean that each unique decks will existe in each translated versions of the game?

40 minutes ago, larryhoteep said:

I dont know if the decks/cards will be translated, but could that mean that each unique decks will existe in each translated versions of the game?

Then they wouldn't be unique any more.

8 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

Then they wouldn't be unique any more.

I agree. I think the algorithm won't repeat itself, even in other languages. Perhaps an identical snowflake here and there, but I have my doubts.

29 minutes ago, Duciris said:

I agree. I think the algorithm won't repeat itself, even in other languages. Perhaps an identical snowflake here and there, but I have my doubts.

"If we took every deck we could possibly generate, and spread them evenly among every single person on planet Earth, each person would get 32 billion decks."

That'd be one rare-*** snowflake.

This has me thinking though...what if Worlds comes around and you’re playing, say, someone with a deck in Italian, how will you know what their cards do? Is everyone supposed to know all 370 odd cards in the set even though they might otherwise never see 40% of those (just picking a random percentage)?

You could call a judge or look at an app to see what the card does.

That's not really a problem. ^^

15 hours ago, Palpster said:

This has me thinking though...what if Worlds comes around and you’re playing, say, someone with a deck in Italian, how will you know what their cards do? Is everyone supposed to know all 370 odd cards in the set even though they might otherwise never see 40% of those (just picking a random percentage)?

You think this has never happened in other card games?

FFG's policy is that any "official" card is legal for a tournament (for example, netrunner was translated into 6 languages... any of those 6 was good enough). Other companies may have different policies (I know a Magic shop in germany that only allows german cards for their tournaments), but in general it should not be a problem.

1 hour ago, Kalrhin said:

You think this has never happened in other card games?

FFG's policy is that any "official" card is legal for a tournament (for example, netrunner was translated into 6 languages... any of those 6 was good enough). Other companies may have different policies (I know a Magic shop in germany that only allows german cards for their tournaments), but in general it should not be a problem.

I’ve played against my share of non-english cards, but 99% of the time they were decks/cards widely used in the meta which made then known to everyone just by card art and it was a far smaller collection whereas in Keyforge it could be any card from the entire set (or sets later on). It’s not a problem per se I’m just curious how this will be handled in the bigger tournaments.

The theory is that you get the individual cards all translated, then get the algorithm to throw out card numbers into deck lists, and print a certain number of these decks in each language.

So what we can expect is that every single deck will be unique whatever the language... Ok, bah let's see if the game will take off.

Talking about Magic, I once bought a X hand deck (meaning a terrible one) for a hand of bucks and there were cards in many languages including some I didn't even recognise...So it won't be a problem facing a deck in thai or in Sanskrit (...if they ever translate a deck in that very precise language).

5 hours ago, Elrad said:

Edited by Kalrhin

Where did you get the certainty that decks will be repeated in other languages? First of all, no announcement of other languages has been done...but it is safe to assume it will be eventually printed in other languages. The game is called "Unique deck game" not "Unique deck game in each language".

I guess that the algorithm they use to pick the cards of each deck makes sure there are no repetitions (a pseudorandom seed can make sure of that). So, i f (for example) they want 10k decks in English and 5k copies in french...then they just need to run the algorithm and produce 15k decks. Use the first 10k for English and the last 5k for French. As others said, when printing in french you replace the image of each card for the French version and...presto! All cards are different even in different languages

Edited by Kalrhin

Who said anything about a certainty? I only saw a question asked

4 hours ago, Kalrhin said:

First of all, no announcement of other languages has been done...but it is safe to assume it will be eventually printed in other languages.

There are announcements, KeyForge will be printed in German and Spanish , and most likely other languages as well, but these two are the ones that I already saw. ;)

On 8/13/2018 at 10:36 PM, Palpster said:

Who said anything about a certainty? I only saw a question asked

Elrad did. For some reason I had some problems quoting him/her...but you can still see the post