Starting the rpg

By RafaelNN, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Im looking into starting an l5r rpg group, so I have to buy the books and all that. So I have a few questions for those of you who already have bought things:

1)Im reading the Beginner Game box description and it says it comes with " a complete set of rules including a play example,". So this means theres a rulebook included inside the box? Or is it a resumed rulebook (like all the rules but no artwork, etc). In essence, what I want to know is: Will I be able to fully play the rpg with the rules that comes in the beginner game box (all classes, rules, etc) or do I need to buy the hardback rulebook appart?

2)The beginner game box says it comes with a set of dice. Thats the same amount of dice (10) that comes from the dice pack?

3)Assuming the rulebook from the beginner box isnt the complete ruleset, and I need to buy the rulebook: Is there a way to get a pdf of the beginner box adventure (so I can then tie it to the emerald palace and all the other ones)? Or is that adventure exclusive to the beginner box?

My group and I basically dont care about premade characters, we much rather prefer to make our own, specially with the game of 20 questions. Extra content like a map of rokugan is nice, but not a real consideration for us. What matters to me (and my group) is that the rules are complete, so that we can play any character and all that, that there are enough dice, and the adventure. Can anyone help clearing this doubts please?

1. The rules are just basic rules for running the adventure. No character creation and some things have been simplified. No advanced critical hits, no disadvantages, etc.
  2. You do get ten dice, five skill and five ring.
  3. No pdf as yet, but I am sure it will show up on drivethru eventually.

Not sure the starter adventure will go to PDF. But I believe there is a free follow up adventure available from the FFG website.

Personally the starter set is worth it for the adventure alone. I realize not everyone can afford the $100+ dollar she’ll out it would be to get starter + core rules + dice pack or two + GM screen (which should also contain an adventure).

The starter adventure is a pretty solid and continuing a tradition of decades. I'm amused that one of the non-competing NPCs was a competitor in an earlier incarnation of the adventure.

The disappointment is that it is a recycled adventure.

The rules are subset, but pretty robust. As noted by others, no CGen, no disads. Very simplified opportunity tables.

30 minutes ago, AK_Aramis said:

The disappointment is that it is a recycled adventure.

Well, the Topaz Championship does have a long history of being used as an introduction adventure to L5R from all the way back to 1st edition. It's even been used in various forms for the Heroes of Rokugan campaigns, since it serves the purpose of teaching new players about both the system and the setting.

So in that respect at least, FFG is continuing the game's long legacy regarding the championship as a new player's first step into the Rokugan setting while teaching them the mechanics of the game. Frankly, none of the Topaz Championship adventures have been all that exciting, as they were written more as teaching tools than as truly stand-alone modules.