First tournament Latari list

By eomir4122, in Runewars List Building

Hey all, i'm new to the game but loving it. I haven't played a full 200 pts game yet but decided to dive right in and sign up for a tournament next weekend.

I've gone with latari as i used to play woodelves in WFB. This is the list i've come up with. Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Aliana of Summersong [33] 1x1
Ambush Predator [3]
Total Unit Cost: 36

Deepwood Archers [42] 3x2
Verdant Sorceress [3]
Wind Rune [6]
Support Aymhelin Scion [4]
Rallying Starling [4]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 61

Deepwood Archers [17] 2x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Lay of the Land [4]
Total Unit Cost: 24

Leonx Riders [30] 2x2
Raven Tabards [2]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 37

Aymhelin Scions [14] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 14

Aymhelin Scions [14] 1x1

Aymhelin Scions [14] 1x1

total: 200 pts

I would consider taking verdant off in favor for a vicious roots. Since you have wind and rally, that is already your two actions a round.

Of course if you have been facing a bunch of banes I can see it being helpful to have options.

I have not gotten a chance to try out lay of the land. Since you have tempered on them, just be careful about how you spend the surges. Lotl can't help if you don't have the surges to perform the initial shift.

Good luck in the tournament!

I would recommend swapping Raven Tabards for Metered March on your 2x2 Leonx. Metered March is significantly more forgiving and that could help for a first tourney and first large games. You can dial in the late speed-4 March and then just decide how far to move.

First off, congrats on choosing the Latari and looking forward to your first tournament. I bought into the game with the Latari and they are my favorite faction (I also play Uthuk).

Regarding the list: The 3 Scions end up being blockers trying to hold the enemy in place, while the 3x2 Archers and the 2x1 with LotL to a lesser extent are built for mobility and juking the enemy. I'm not sure you need that many Scions on the board. As a one threat unit with no rerolls, they actually don't generate much damage. I think you can get rid of a single Scion for upgrades and/or adjustment to your other trays. Or you could try getting rid of some of your mobility upgrades in favor of damage upgrades. I worry that the archers won't put enough damage through before your opponent finishes enough Scions that they get through.

Hi, is your Tournament at Common Ground in Stirling? That’ll be my first one (this Sunday)

Rather than rallying up Tempered steel why dont you put fire rune on your 2x1 archers? Then you dont need simultaneous orders either. @Church14 is right about metered march, you want to find a way to put that on the cats. Also you may want to find a way to either put malcorne's bequest on Aliana to better control runes or packleader's spear to make her hit harder.

Most importantly, however, have you practiced this enough to be comfortable with it? In my experience you are better off bringing a list you know than a list that may be 'better' that you havent practiced with.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

thanks for all the replies.

Given that it is my first time out with latari proper, im not expecting much. Just want to play a few games and meet players.

I can drop a scion to make room for vicious roots on other 2 and pack leader spear on Aliana.

As for archer load outs, the verdant is in there mostly for the overgrow 2 to ensure that almost all terrain will trigger the support scions ability. Again, having not played full scaled games yet, maybe im being overly cautious? I'm used to using hit and run tactics from my wfb days so im generally ok sacrificing a bit of hitting power for increased get the **** out of here ability.

I wanted versatility on smaller block hence both lay of the land and tempered steel. Having no knowledge of local meta etc, im giving myself options and i can always take what i learn from this and narrow down more specific roles for archer units. I'm also trying to keep my rune dependency on 1 colour , hence steel over fire rune.

I like the idea of being able to windrune big block and also refresh either steel or inspiration on leonx. Again, am i being naive in thinking that i will pull that off enough times for it to be worht it?

8 hours ago, eomir4122 said:

thanks for all the replies.

Given that it is my first time out with latari proper, im not expecting much. Just want to play a few games and meet players.

I can drop a scion to make room for vicious roots on other 2 and pack leader spear on Aliana.

As for archer load outs, the verdant is in there mostly for the overgrow 2 to ensure that almost all terrain will trigger the support scions ability. Again, having not played full scaled games yet, maybe im being overly cautious? I'm used to using hit and run tactics from my wfb days so im generally ok sacrificing a bit of hitting power for increased get the **** out of here ability.

I wanted versatility on smaller block hence both lay of the land and tempered steel. Having no knowledge of local meta etc, im giving myself options and i can always take what i learn from this and narrow down more specific roles for archer units. I'm also trying to keep my rune dependency on 1 colour , hence steel over fire rune.

I like the idea of being able to windrune big block and also refresh either steel or inspiration on leonx. Again, am i being naive in thinking that i will pull that off enough times for it to be worht it?

For what you describe here, I'd simply recommend putting it on the table and seeing how it plays it out. Experience is one of the best teachers. I think I tried out a different list for the first ten or so times before I started settling on a set of ideas that I liked and merely started tweaking between one Aliana list and one Maegan list. Answering the last question is very difficult. Sometimes, a list is trying to do too much. Sometimes, the list is fine but it can be played differently to be able to pull off the same effect.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, eomir4122 said:

the verdant        is in there mostly f  or the overgrow 2 to ensur  e that almost all terrain will trigger the support scio   ns  ab  ili  t  y  

Ah yeah I forgot that's the one with two overgrowth. Totally a valid concept to keep you mobile.

12 hours ago, eomir4122 said:

I like   the idea of being able to windrune big block and also refr  esh either steel or inspiration on leonx. Again, am i being nai   ve in thinking  that i will pull that off enough times for it to be  wor  ht  i  t?

So my favorite list atm has two sets of leonx set up as you do and doing the rally/wind combo is worth for me.

Ultimately, just as @Vergilius said, just try out whatever. There are very few things in this game that I have tried and did not have fun with.