Questions about the app

By ScarecrowKing, in KeyForge

I like the idea of tracking a deck's performance. I'm curious about one thing, though. What if I trade or sell my deck after I've logged it into the app? Do you think there will be a built-in way to indicate ownership was transferred? Or will it only track performance of the deck, regardless of who pilots it? If I can transfer it officially to someone else, will it be possible to see how it does after that?

Mostly just idle speculation, I know. But until we get decks in hand, gotta have something to talk about.

there will be a certain amount of decks not rated for those who won't go play official or local tournaments... I don't know if the info we have so far states that a deck winning a Saturday night against a dude completely drunk will be credited of one victory or so...Or if only organized play will allow people to promote their deck and make it shine...

On 8/6/2018 at 9:35 PM, ScarecrowKing said:

I like the idea of tracking a deck's performance. I'm curious about one thing, though. What if I trade or sell my deck after I've logged it into the app? Do you think there will be a built-in way to indicate ownership was transferred? Or will it only track performance of the deck, regardless of who pilots it? If I can transfer it officially to someone else, will it be possible to see how it does after that?

Mostly just idle speculation, I know. But until we get decks in hand, gotta have something to talk about.

The app is probably tied to your account (either Asmodee or e-mail or something similar) so the app will probably pick up a new user when it's scanned in someone else's app. Pure speculation of course, but doesn't seem unreasonable. Brings it's own privacy issues of course, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they will handle the app and the data it collects.

Maybe you scan at the start of every game? The owner is just whoever scanned it last.

At about 4 minutes in Richard says "ultimately play the deck online" I really hope that is true....

Yeah, being able to play with your own personal deck online would be super cool. I’ve always thought a game where physical cards translated to an online game would be super neat. And with this whole idea of a QR code representing a whole deck it just makes tons of sense and is probably easy yo do.

22 minutes ago, LeVitaMonster said:

Yeah, being able to play with your own personal deck online would be super cool. I’ve always thought a game where physical cards translated to an online game would be super neat. And with this whole idea of a QR code representing a whole deck it just makes tons of sense and is probably easy yo do.

That game existed 12 years ago. It was called Chaotic and died to what appears to have been licensing issues, but it is still unclear and locked under NDAs.

Every card had a code on it that corresponded with online. And each character also had variable stats, within a range of 5 points for every stat.

I am glad someone is finally doing something like this.

Blink and you miss it but "in the future you can scan your QCode and play online."

10 hours ago, LeVitaMonster said:

Eye of Judgment for PS3 was a fun game that sadly was discontinued after three sets. I guess it was way ahead of its time.

At ESSEN 2017, there was that french company who was demoing a game they made where you buy physical cards with a chip-set inside and a card reader to be able to use those cards in a computer game. I mean the goal was to make people compete online but with physical cards on hand... the thing was that every card had its "skills tree" and only view-able on the computer.

I wasn't interested at all for one reason : if your card became unreadable with time or the online game died, you were left behind with useless costly cards... So I think I would prefer this kind of online solution where you still have your material deck fully operational and having an option to play it online than the project I mentioned above.

13 hours ago, Elrad said:

At ESSEN 2017, there was that french company who was demoing a game they made where you buy physical cards with a chip-set inside and a card reader to be able to use those cards in a computer game. I mean the goal was to make people compete online but with physical cards on hand... the thing was that every card had its "skills tree" and only view-able on the computer. 

The game is called Malkyrs, and seems pretty dead right now. :/

On 8/9/2018 at 11:34 PM, MrVandor said:

The game is called Malkyrs, and seems pretty dead right now. ?

Oh yes, that's it ! Me and the names... I'm not surprised that it is quite dead by now...I don't know who it was aimed at: Boardgames players and video game players ? But the former like material component and the latter has the possibility to play games like Heartstone or Magic online or anything so... well.

It was played at our shop but sadly they had some problem to supply the base kit (the one with the dock that could read your cards), which didn't help the game to grow at all. When they made the necessary changes to allow smartphones to read them it was too late I guess.

At least it is how I remember things.