What does this offer?

By jonboyjon1990, in Arkham Horror

I've never played Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror.

I have base game Mansions of Madness 2.0 and everything for the LCG, which is among my top games of all time.

If anything this looks more like Arkham Horror: The Card Game: The Board Game.

Between the LCG and Mansions I’m not really sure what this offers.

Mansions is more thematic and immersive and the LCG is fantastically deep, better narratively and can be set anywhere.

AH 3.0 looks mechanically like a halfway house and has a much narrower setting.

I'm also concerned about how scenario based it will be. One thing that is great about the LCG is that it's effectively 2 games in one - first the narrative exploration of scenarios and campaigns when they are new or new-ish to you and second - the optimisation puzzle of trying to 'beat' them whilst exploring the player card pool.

Of course Arkham 3.0 doesn't have deck building, a player card pool and I imagine the different investigators are less asymmetric (a bit like in Mansions). So I'm worried it'll be less replayable and completely reliant on expansions.

Well, given that it looks like it's equal parts EH, MoM, and AH... I'd say that it's fair to assume that it will work well. It's hard to guess mechanics since it was just announced and the only video up of it so far is a teaser. Given time I'm sure they will produce something that will explain rules and game play, like many of the other product pages have.

Don't forget that AH and AH:LCG are also two different products, so this game will play more like EH and AH2e, which is why there is no deck building. That being said AH:LCG is really the product that is reliant on expansions. Don't get me wrong since it's a game that I enjoy and have gotten all , but each phase of the scenario is sold separately so you are usually patching many small expansions to complete the story line.

Edited by LordPyrex

I am with you buddy. I am struggling to see how this differentiates itself other than here is a pure board game for Arkham if you want to hunt Cthulhus. I am convinced that MoM is the premium experience and this is supposed to be a little more entry level. I think that is the most apparent in the game pieces themselves.

The card game is different enough in its form and function to MoM, especially given its campaign style. Between those 2 I am not sure why I would want to play this over those 2. Hoping as the game play comes out that will be more clear.

I'll preface this by saying that I own everything for Eldritch Horror, MoM2, AH LCG.

AH 3rd edition appears to be more replayable relative to MoM2 and AH LCG. Without EH, I would definitely add AH 3rd edition to a collection comprising of only MoM2 and AH LCG.

The question only arises when compared also to Eldritch Horror. I give a more detailed view based on my GenCon experience over at Board Game Geeks. My overall is a thumbs up, will buy. However I was not as impressed when going from Eldritch Horror to AH 3rd.

My opinion is that the 3 major pillars of FFG Mythos are:

AH LCG: card game with lower replayability (I said "lower" not "no") that costs more (requires monthly mythos packs), plays relatively quick with a small foot print for 1-4 players.

MoM 2: board game with lower replayability costs less than AH LCG as expansions come out slower. Larger footprint on table to accommodate for all the tiles, plays slower taking hours for 1-5 players.

EH and AH 3rd edition: board game with higher replayability costing less than AH LCG. Narrative is mostly disjointed, plays slowest taking hours supports 1-8 players.

AH3 is dropping to a 6-player max. From the production page.

Arkham Horror Third Edition is a cooperative board game for one to six players who take on the role of investigators trying to rid the world of ancient beings known as Ancient Ones in the 1920’s.

However, they also put an apostrophe in 1920s, so who can trust them. :P

Edited by Duciris
7 hours ago, Duciris said:

AH3 is dropping to a 6-player max. From the production page.

However, they also put an apostrophe in 1920s, so who can trust them. :P

I learned to use the ‘ at school

Or this another one of those differences between English and US grammar?

14 hours ago, cheapmate said:

I learned to use the ‘ at school

Or this another one of those differences between English and US grammar?

Easily could be. We (USA) use it to for contractions and to indicate passive-¿ness? I guess we also use it to denote a specific 'word' or 'group of words.' The only other thing I can think of off-hand is its use in calculus – specifically Lagrange's notation for derivatives, such as the derivative ƒ'(x) = dƒ/dx. By-the-by, I only bring up the cursed calculus - black arts of the math world - to illustrate the only three uses of the apostrophe I know.

Of course, if you're from the eastern side of the Atlantic, I suppose you'd say 'maths.' ?

Edited by Duciris

I’m not English, but we do get the UK English at school, but my apologies for derailing the topic.

I like Arkham Horror 2E (are we calling it this now all of a sudden?), but it was too big, especially with any (or all) expansions included and setup, together with upkeep was a burden. It was not something you took out on a whim.

I would love a sleeker and “faster” version of Arkham Horror, that is not a copy of Eldritch Horror and the new AH indeed looks good.

As for the difference between this and MoM2E, not needing an app seems like a significant one. Also MoM2E always seemed more mystery solving instead of fighting Ancient Ones, which it was perfectly suitable for, better than EH or AH could ever be.

Also, when comparing Mythos games, people always leave out Elder Sign, which is one of the best ones made and certainly the one that gets most playtime in our house.

British English should be the same as American English here: it's 1920s, or '20s, but for no reason is "20's": it's not an aglosaxon genitive, but a plural to indicate a span of years.

7 hours ago, cheapmate said:

Also, when comparing Mythos games, people always leave out Elder Sign, which is one of the best ones made and certainly the one that gets most playtime in our house.

While not granting the most playtime for us, this is a great intro to the basic mechanics in the Arkham Files. I love the game and have all the expansions.

My only complaint is that the story elements can be glossed over unless you mentally zoom in on them... it is too easy to make it into a Yahtzee puzzle without the theme in the chasing of the Elder Signs.

This looks like a mixture of old AH and fallout, that's not bad, but this will be a typical AH, EH, type game, by the 3rd expansion it will get out of hand, especially the map.

oh yeah, I'm all in.

Even if (when) there will be more map tiles, you’ll not have to use them all, so I hope this will keep the map in hand.

Yeah, akin to MoM2. The difficulty of modular boards, I've found, is finding a storage solution that will also lend itself to sorting and finding the right tiles.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Yeah, akin to MoM2. The difficulty of modular boards, I've found, is finding a storage solution that will also lend itself to sorting and finding the right tiles.

Depending on the size of the tiles, I like accordion folders. That's what I use for my Gloomhaven tiles.

There won't be that many tiles, so it shouldn't be a problem with finding the correct one.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:10 AM, Mortalo said:

There won't be that many tiles, so it shouldn't be a problem with finding the correct one.

Right, and you won't be revealing a new one every other round like you do in MoM2. It'll be part of the setup.

If it weren't an established town, one presumably at least half of the investigators live in, it would be fun to reveal new locations when you move down the street.

Edited by Duciris
Can't words good
2 hours ago, Duciris said:

Right, and you won't be revealing a new one every other round like you do in MoM2. It'll be part of the setup.

If it weren't an established town, one presumably at least half of the investigators live in, I would be fun to reveal new locations when you move down the street.

That's what MoM is for. I'm happy to keep 3rd ed less fiddly if possible. The actions already seem to add quite a bit of extra steps and rules to negotiate (warding removes doom from the board, but not the AO, but if you remove 2+ doom, you get a remnant), in order to advance the codes you need to research clues (but you can't research clues to pull them off the board, you have to have an encounter that will pull them off the baord, and THEN you can research them if you have them on you to place them on the codex).... etc.

Again, I think it'll be a fun game, but adding the oddball rules to the actions is making this feel less streamlined than it appears. I'm good with less 'wow' elements at this point if it means less things to keep track of and remember.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:21 PM, Duciris said:

If it weren't an established town, one presumably at least half of the investigators live in, I would be fun to reveal new locations when you move down the street.

I'm sure one of the scenarios (maybe in an expansion) will allow you to do this.