What prevents trading and deck tampering?

By SeldomRamon, in KeyForge

I understand that organized play events would prohibit deck tampering as it's one of the tenets of the game, but what's to stop a secondary market from forming and players modifying their decks? Is there some kind of deck ID printed on the card? What if a card is lost or destroyed? The whole deck is now worthless?

The back of each card has the image and name of the Archon. The name of the Archon is also on the front the card.

The deck ID is a QR card that comes with it. If you lose or damage a card, presumably you can't play that deck anymore.

Does each deck have a unique Archon or is there one Archon for each faction combination? Seems like unique Archons would be the only way to ensure no one can tamper with their deck, but that would also be an absurd feat of card design!

Edited by SeldomRamon
14 minutes ago, SeldomRamon said:

Does each deck have a unique Archon or is there one Archon for each faction combination? Seems like unique Archons would be the only way to ensure no one can tamper with their deck, but that would also be an absurd feat of card design!

Yep, Archons are unique.

1 hour ago, SeldomRamon said:

that would also be an absurd feat of card design!

kf01_cardfan_unique2.png

Look at the similarities/differences between the shapes of the Archons on these backs, more than just the colors.

Also, each name (on the bottoms of the cards, front and back) is procedurally generated.

The QR code would also prevent this, as it will tell you what is supposed to be in your deck.

The back of the Archon card is also a decklist, along with the QR code.

In addition, each card has the unique archon/deck name printed on its front as well as its back, so you don't even have to take them out of opaque sleeves to verify.

"What prevents deck tampering?" The Categorical Imperative!

What really prevents it is people punching cheaters in the head when they find out.

34 minutes ago, Robin Graves said:

What really prevents it is people punching cheaters in the head when they find out.

You need another coffee?

Just now, Amanal said:

You need another coffee?

Rough day at work.

Not entirely the answer to the topic as it was already given in detail but I wanted to mention that losing or damaging a card might not be the end of that deck.

Considering the immense logistic difficulties that the printer had already faced to print an infinite amount of completely different card sheets I would assume that the studio is well prepared to put together large batches of whatever card combination is needed, both front and back of the card. Therefore by sending an inquiry about the damaged card along with the deck ID, it would not be so difficult to maintain a list of cards for replacement and print them in batches. Sending them afterwards though may be a bit more difficult.

13 hours ago, Valdemart said:

Not entirely the answer to the topic as it was already given in detail but I wanted to mention that losing or damaging a card might not be the end of that deck.

Considering the immense logistic difficulties that the printer had already faced to print an infinite amount of completely different card sheets I would assume that the studio is well prepared to put together large batches of whatever card combination is needed, both front and back of the card. Therefore by sending an inquiry about the damaged card along with the deck ID, it would not be so difficult to maintain a list of cards for replacement and print them in batches. Sending them afterwards though may be a bit more difficult.

It's probably logistically possible, but I question whether they'd do it. What's to stop somebody from, say, snapping a picture of the tournament winner's deck, printing off a QR code, and then submitting replacement card requests a few at a time to rebuild the whole deck?

7 minutes ago, kaffis said:

It's probably logistically possible, but I question whether they'd do it. What's to stop somebody from, say, snapping a picture of the tournament winner's deck, printing off a QR code, and then submitting replacement card requests a few at a time to rebuild the whole deck?

Do you think they'll replace cards? I think they'll send you a replacement deck if you are missing cards or they are damaged on purchase.

After that I think you have to look after your stuff.

Yeah, that was me saying I don't think they'll replace cards, and why, even if they've got the tech to technically do it.

19 hours ago, Amanal said:

Do you think they'll replace cards? I think they'll send you a replacement deck if you are missing cards or they are damaged on purchase.

After that I think you have to look after your stuff.

I know FFG works with a print-on-demand company to print promotional cards for their existing games... maybe they'd do something like that? Tell 'em, "Hey, my dog ate [this card]," and they'll print a fresh one for you.

They won’t replace cards (they don’t in Destiny and it’s way more easy there). If you bought a faulty product for some reason they might send you an entirely new deck though.