Announced: Arkham Horror Third Edition

By Phoenix_FFG, in Arkham Horror

On the fence about this one.

this isn't the anniversary edition I was hoping for, information is scarce but it seems more lightweight. It won't replace arkham horror in my collection, seems more likely to compete against elder sign: streets of arkham.

more cthulhu games are always welcome but if it means arkham horror will never be reprinted then this comes with a heavy cost.

About! ****! Time!

?

I've been waiting for this for years!

Arkham Horror: The Jig-Saw Puzzle...

I am wondering about the promo Uncovered Lore . Are the additional stories and lore in addition to the two rule books in the hardback? I assume the stories are on par with the ones released in The Investigators of Arkham Horror but I'm not sure about the other lore.

I'll wait until I see a proper gameplay video before making a final decision, but so far if this is what's replacing Eldritch Horror I think I'm going to stick with Eldritch Horror.

Yeah. Not excited yet. I wanted Arkham Horror with Eldritch Horror mechanics (or Eldritch Horror with a smaller board scale). This is... not that.

I am positively intrigued by the looks and mechanics of this game.

Edit: I own both a full collection of Eldritch Horror and AH:LCG

Edited by Raahk

I actually think it looks rather ugly. I mean, Mansions of Madness proved you could have good-looking tiles. These are kinda small and cramped, and the connectors don't fit the district tiles at all. THe streets look too different from the buildings.

6 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Yeah. Not excited yet. I wanted Arkham Horror with Eldritch Horror mechanics (or Eldritch Horror with a smaller board scale). This is... not that.

Eh, I already have EH & AH2. If I want to play them, that's what I'll do. I'd rather have a different game than just a re-reskin.

2 hours ago, Raahk said:

I am positively intrigued by the looks and mechanics of this game.

Edit: I own both a full collection of Eldritch Horror and AH:LCG

Same. I'm I seeing this correctly, AH3 has the chaos bag - er, mythos cup?

2 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

I actually think it looks rather ugly. I mean, Mansions of Madness proved you could have good-looking tiles. These are kinda small and cramped, and the connectors don't fit the district tiles at all. THe streets look too different from the buildings.

latest?cb=20120621002059

It's an extrapolation and breakdown of the AH2 board (which I know too well can get really cramped). I'm not sure how I feel about the look of the board, but I like the reduced number of possible locations.

Also, I love the sleek look of the card art style.

For me it seems like a mash-up of AH:LCG, MoM(2ed), and EH which is interesting enough for me (Narrative, Mythos -bag -cup, monsterdecks...). In my opinion, Duciris has it right when he says that there is no actual need for a reskin of a game. Just play the game you already have and save yourself some money.

Though i can't say if i will by into this even if i like it. Because as of now, MoM 2nd Ed and EH dont hit the tables very often these days solely due to AH:LCG being our most favourite game the last couple of months

Curious how replayable the scenarios will be. If only once and they are spoiled I will stick to EH

Just noticed they are using 'roles' that seem to be a carry over from the LCG. This was snipped from the video and is on Agnes's investigator card. 2nd is from Daniella.

Capture.GIF

oo.GIF

Edited by Soakman

I'm also not sure about his for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with the game itself, and more the timing. It seems to heavily compete with the LCG and looks a LOT like the LCG sans card decks. A more adventuresome, less personal, experience that can be replayed and does not feature a 'campaign' mode but still tells a modulated story with a resolution.

Is that what I want? Well, EH kind of also does that but on the global scale. I prefer this scale. The microcosm reacting to the cosmic horror. I DID however, JUST back Cthulhu Must Die because I was looking for something a little more 'gamey' but I've grown very attached to FFG's characters.

Let's just say there is an AWFUL lot of Lovecraft in my collection. I'm not sure when/where they fit and how often they will hit the table if my hobby time is spread so thinly.

Basically I just need more boardgame friends and a LOT more free time and there is no problem.

Edited by Soakman

I will certainly be giving this a try... as FFG has yet to really miss with any of the systems they have attached to the Arkham Files. Arkham Horror 2.0 awakened my sleeping tabletop gamer after decades away in video games, and all the later products have always built on the lore, and refined the mechanisms of the games before them. They have been making games in Lovecraft's worlds before it was public domain, and few other games come close (I have and enjoy Fate of the Elder Gods, Pandemic Cthulhu, and Cthulhu Realms... but the Arkham Files have the narrative developed.)

My favorites in order are:
Mansions of Madness (both 1 and 2!)
Arkham LCG
Eldritch Horror
Elder Sign
Arkham Horror
Call of Cthulhu LCG/CCG.

I am a bit kicking myself as I never got the revised Curse of the Dark Pharaoh, and hoping to find one at an FLGS before too long.

I might get this. The old arkham horror had waaay to many components and certain graphical designs I did not like. While the jigsaw puzzel looks odd (more suited for an android setting if I'm honest) I'm not put off by it.

I'm still on the fence about characters from AH LCG porting over. On one hand it's good to see my gal Jenny again. On the other hand it's FFG recycling cthulhu art again.

11 hours ago, JoshisJoshingyou said:

Curious how replayable the scenarios will be. If only once and they are spoiled I will stick to EH

It seems like the scenarios aren't as story driven as the card game. It seems to be very similar to how Eldritch is set up.

I love modular boards but this looks more like a spaceship than a city and the perspective of the street connectors with the tiles looks ridiculous. I expect a more polished design from FFG after all this time. The continued use of recycled art also does little to entice me and makes me feel like I am not missing out on anything I can't find in other Arkham Files games.

Edited by Sindriss
8 hours ago, Sindriss said:

I love modular boards but this looks more like a spaceship than a city and the perspective of the street connectors with the tiles looks ridiculous. I expect a more polished design from FFG after all this time. The continued use of recycled art also does little to entice me and makes me feel like I am not missing out on anything I can't find in other Arkham Files games.

I feel like I've seen a similarly designed board before recently. I'm not sold that it is ridiculous. I think it will certainly cut down on the table space needed, and if they are double-sided, it adds options without creating clutter. In AH 2e, there were many locations you never even bothered with encounters for, but they still took up table space. In my dozens of games, I think I pulled an administrations building encounter maybe 3 times.

Like the chaos bag in the LCG, I think I won't know how I feel about the board until I get to use it a few times.

Yep. Visually not so keen on this, but modularity allows different versions of eac district to be used. Sometimes these tree buildings Are important to the story, sometimes other tree places in the same district can be the usefull ones, so this opens up a huge amounth of development room!

really interested to see what the developers do in the long run!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv

Well I gotta say aside from AH3rd which MAY be interesting, this years gencon in flight report has got to be the most underwhelming in years...almost all the "new stuff" are extensions, some of which like mother of dragons feeling more like padding and really the only new game is basically a reskin of blue moon legend with a few gimmicks added.

I agree. Not as much this year. Could just be an anomaly in the long run.

So. I got to demo this at GenCon.

While it is a nice enough addition to Arkham Horror Files, it in no way feels like the next iteration of the classic Arkham Horror board game. It is a very different game.

FFG is, again, showing their corporate disconnect by labeling this as a 3rd edition. It's a new game in the Arkham Horror Files brand. End of story.