I’m still lost in effing Mirkwood

By NPAW, in Rules questions & answers

SPOILERish

The forced travel effect on the Objective Locations - travel to the next stage A or C, whichever it is.

Is it that the next Stage A or C in the quest deck, as you go down through the cards. For example you are at Stage 2A and the forced effect says the next Stage C, and the next Stage C card in the quest deck is Stage 2C, so you put that in play?

Or is it the next Stage A / C up? As in, you are at Stage 2A. The travel forced effect says next Stage C, so you go to Stage 3C.

cheers

Edited by NPAW

I’m pretty sure, keeping with the spirit of theme, that you’re intended to advance in the latter manner you described. Following the words on the cards by the letter means that you advance to the next stage A or C, regardless of number.

You jump to the next number. Go from 2A to 3C, not 2A to 2C.

I played it the wrong way at first. If you go from 2A to 2C, then 2C to 3A, then 3A to 3C.... you can reach a point where the quest is unwinnable.

Hadn't occurred to me you could play it going from 2A to 2C! I think it is right to go from 2A to 3C, eg, rather than 2C, but it's not really that clear from the objectives themselves.

*SPOILER*

I'm stuck on this mission and found this thread.

There are 2 objective locations that advance A and 2 objective locations hat advance C. BUT there are 3 more quests to get to, so even if you switch from A to C or vice versa you can never get to the last quest. I'm stuck on stage 3 and there's no way out.

Your process should look like this:
Start on stage 1.

Travel to an objective location. Depending on what you explored, you will advance to either 2A, then flip to 2B. Or you will advance to 2C, then flip to 2D.

Travel to another objective location. Depending on what you explored, you will advance to either 3A, then flip to 3B, or you will advance to 3C and then flip to 3D.

There should still be 2 objective locations left in the deck at this point (in play or in the encounter deck/discard pile). If there are not, you did something wrong (?).

Travel to another objective location. You are now on either 4A or 4C, and will flip to 4B or 4D accordingly, which have the scenario win conditions.

There should still remain one objective location which you did not travel to at this point. You don't need it.

----------

One more thing that might help to clarify: if you get to 2C, you *skip* 2A. If you get to 3A, you're going to be *skipping* 3C. You do not need to clear every quest card -- in any given playthrough, you will only be completing half of the quest deck. Gives the scenario some replayability. There are other scenarios like this as well, where you don't advance through every quest card in order to win the game.

That makes sense. It reads "next C" so that's where I got confused.

Thank you!