More later...

1 minute ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

New Story

More Dragon!

More Kinzen!

Hitomi!

More later...

You forgot MITSUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just read this while eating a chocolate muffin whose sugar quantity I refuse to check. Aaaaah I love life.

Interesting tidbits:

Hitomi is in charge even though Mitsu is higher ranked because he's a monk, and monks don't lead armies.

Mitsu is said to have trained through many lifetimes. Does this mean he's exceptionally old, or that some Ise Zumi reincarnate, rejoin the order and reawaken their memories of previous training.

Hitomi challenged Yakamo to a duel when she was 8 . Over the death of her brother. I think there's been some re-alignment of ages here.

What are the Dragon really up to? We still don't know.

3 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Interesting tidbits:

Hitomi is in charge even though Mitsu is higher ranked because he's a monk, and monks don't lead armies.

Mitsu is said to have trained through many lifetimes. Does this mean he's exceptionally old, or that some Ise Zumi reincarnate, rejoin the order and reawaken their memories of previous training.

Hitomi challenged Yakamo to a duel when she was 8 . Over the death of her brother. I think there's been some re-alignment of ages here.

It sounds like the Dragon themselves don't often know. They're just told to be in a place at a certain time, and they'll know it when they see it.

I love the dialog in this one, really shows some great courtiering.

Nice piece.

loved the Lion's army description, it offers solid impression of the resources and capabilities of the most military oriented clan in Rokugan.

on the sad note, next week marks the end of the weekly fiction till the novella comes out (in october?).

I'm under the impression that this cycle the plot has not really advanced at all, am i in the wrong? (Few things did take place but it mostly feel like resolutions of the event fictions/novella and setup for the next set)

also for a cycle based on the imbalance of the elements with got very little insight on it

Edited by mirrorcat
37 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Interesting tidbits:

nope that jives with the old timeline

11 minutes ago, mirrorcat said:

I'm under the impression that this cycle the plot has not really advanced at all, am i in the wrong? (Few things did take place but it mostly feel like resolutions of the event fictions/novella and setup for the next set)

also for a cycle based on the imbalance of the elements with got very little insight on it

I agree 100%. The only majo event the storys had since the launch of the game is Toturi winning the championship. But at the rate new fiction come out, with long intervals, I doubt the storyline will advance much anytime soon. And if they rush the story (as in many changes in too few fiction pieces) it would suck

17 minutes ago, mirrorcat said:

Nice piece.

loved the Lion's army description, it offers solid impression of the resources and capabilities of the most military oriented clan in Rokugan.

on the sad note, next week marks the end of the weekly fiction till the novella comes out (in october?).

I wouldn't say it hasn't advanced (elevating the Kaito to a proper family, pieces of Atsuko's prophecy vis-a-vis Meishodo maving into place), but it feels like we're still setting up the dominoes before the whole edifice comes down.

I'd say several causes for the elemental imbalance has been explored in this cycle. For example the PLS's assertion that they are living in an age of declining virtues, a shadowland incursion in the Crab lands, Djinn attacking the Kami in the Phoenix lands, the use of the Shadow by the Scorpion, Mantis pretending to be storms at sea... Perhaps all of the above is contributing to the perception of imbalance. Certainly the Phoenix novella points to not everything being attributed to the imbalance being what it seems. Though honestly I think the label for the cycle had more to due with card pool being more focused on claiming rings and elemental role locking.

The Phoenix had received more forward movement than most due to the novella giving them way more screen time. That said we've seen storylines evolve quite a bit. The Meishodo plot, Emerald Championship, Crab/Mantis alliance, Naga awakening, the Miyako/Hiroue PLS investigation ... so they aren't just spinning their wheels on the other storylines. I'm okay with the pace of the story. I'd much rather this than rapid turn around of events, which wouldn't allow us to "live in" the setting (if that makes any sense). That said I'm not looking forward to another hiatus The last one was so long and that void of L5R content was definitely felt.

I'm very curious to find out where the Dragon army is marching, but I'm not going to hold my breath on a timely resolution to a Dragon storyline. Though maybe I'll be surprised and we'll see where they are marching to next story. Nice to see more Mitsu. In a clan full of characters historically I've had trouble liking I always thought Mitsu was a very fun character. I love that they paired Hitomi and Mitsu. They make an entertaining team :)

Edited by phillos
1 hour ago, mirrorcat said:

Nice piece.

I am going to guess we will see quite a bit more storyline movement when the RPG comes out.

This story was a lot of fun and stuff actually happens, but I have a feeling we will not see what Yokuni's vision was about until a storyline prize or mcguffin is revealed.

After the RPG article yesterday, I expected PLS (Perfect Land Sect) to show up. Can't say as I'm disappointed in the story, though.

I feel like the end of the Toshi Ranbo season (which ends this week at GenCon) will yield new momentum for the storyline. So far, it's all been establishing players, distinguishing similarities and differences from OL5R, getting a feel for what the world looks like. Moving forward will hopefully see the establishment of player influenced storylines. We haven't seen the fallout of the shogun's decision at Worlds yet (although it's magnitude has been hinted at by Brad Andres). The usurpation of the city by (I have to assume) the Scorpion will undoubtedly not be overlooked by the characters so far established.

A question that this fiction raises: will other clans have a hand in the movement of Toshi Ranbo from Crane to Scorpion hands? I have read that there is an understood alliance between Dragon and Scorpion, is this what the Dragon are moving toward?

Also, I have forgotten, what makes Toshi Ranbo so appealing to the clans?

I agree. The story in general hasn't had major plot development, But I like it. It lets them create the setup. We have an idea of where all the clans are, and clearly Toshi Ranbo is gearing up to be the first major plot event.

13 minutes ago, Duciris said:

A question that this fiction raises: will other clans have a hand in the movement of Toshi Ranbo from Crane to Scorpion hands? I have read that there is an understood alliance between Dragon and Scorpion, is this what the Dragon are moving toward?

Also, I have forgotten, what makes Toshi Ranbo so appealing to the clans?

Toshi Ranbois appealing to the Crane because of the fields that they desperately need since they are still reeling form the tsunami, as well as the Mantis raids.

The Lion hold ancestral claim and it is where Toturi's brother died.

The rest is more each clan exploiting the conflict for their own interests. Unicorn are anti-Lion. There are reports of disturbed Kami, so Phoenix would probably try to restore balance. Crab likely would use it in bargaining to get more supplies. Scorpion would use it to destabilize the Crane and Lion. Dragon are Dragon, so who the **** knows.

It was noted in one of the articles that Toshi Ranbo had a jade mine within it's territory. That was billed as the Crab's motivation. Though nowhere in the fictions is that ever presented as a possibility. It will feel a bit out of left field right now if Crab get's awarded Toshi Ranbo considering Taka's appeals at the capital for support amounted to a response of "just deal with it bro". Also Toshi Ranbo is on the other side of the map from the Crab lands. So that would be an effort to occupy. I assume they'll attempt to smooth it out with some fiction if it happens.

The Phoenix are concerned about the spirits in the area. One of the fictions opening the season had that conversation between Toturi and Kaede explaining the spiritual problems within the city.

Unicorn/Crane and Lion's motivations are obvious since they are all directly involved in the conflict.

Dragon I'd say have little reason to want the city, but this fiction is showing that the Dragon are getting way more involved than we originally anticipated. Also Dragon could use the boon considering they aren't exactly rich with resources.

Maybe the Emperor awarding Toshi Ranbo to a seemingly neutral clan would be his attempt to stop the conflict over the city. If that ends up being the direction they go in then I guess any clan could make sense as the end owner of Toshi Ranbo. I assume that's the route they'd go if the city is awarded to the Scorpion. The neutral clan choice of course being heavily influenced by his close advisors the Scorpion.

Edited by phillos
4 minutes ago, phillos said:

So that would be an effort to occupy. 

Build a wall around it and throw some samurai on it. ;)

1 hour ago, kTravio said:

Build a wall around it and throw some samurai on it. ;)

"Kaiu-sama, you cannot solve all of your problems by building walls around them."

"The **** I can't!"

Take it away, Moneybrother .

Edited by Mangod

I like that we keep all the best bits of Mirumoto Hitomi’s backstory. With her not being the daimyo as well, it feels like they can go in any direction with her. And MITSUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The entire fiction could have been him sitting on a roof and ai’d have been happy.

Dragon gonna Dragon.

Like the contrast between Mitsu's impulse humanitarianism and Hitomi's "stay on mission, you jerk!" mentality.

Also good to see Mitsu allowing everyone involved in his little conversation to save some face.

What would Sun Tao say about this? A good general wins every battle she fights. A great general can win a battle without fighting.

Togashi Mitsu is very likeable. But he is somewhat rash. Just as he assumed the ronin were on Lion's payroll, he assumed he misled Ikoma Tsanuri. In reality, Tsanuri would have been fully within her rights to destroy the trespassing Dragon army. But to what end? Having obtained Mitsu's word that Dragon is not marching to Crane's aid, and having accepted Mitsu's excuse that the Dragon were ignorant as to in whose territory they were discovered, Tsanuri stood to gain nothing from engaging them. She obtained important intelligence, especially Togashi Yokuni's own prophetic utterance regarding Crane. Mitsu can recognize that Tsanuri is a wise woman and yet believes she would come to the most superficial conclusion. Perhaps because that is his own nature?

My compliments to @Kinzen for beautifully introducing this illustrious Lion character in the new continuity.

13 hours ago, phillos said:

It was noted in one of the articles that Toshi Ranbo had a jade mine within it's territory. That was billed as the Crab's motivation. Though nowhere in the fictions is that ever presented as a possibility. It will feel a bit out of left field right now if Crab get's awarded Toshi Ranbo considering Taka's appeals at the capital for support amounted to a response of "just deal with it bro". Also Toshi Ranbo is on the other side of the map from the Crab lands. So that would be an effort to occupy. I assume they'll attempt to smooth it out with some fiction if it happens.

And in a surprise twist Crab wins the tournament, is awarded the fort+region and immediately offers it to the Mantis so that it may become their first stronghold as major clan

giphy.webp

Edited by mirrorcat
19 hours ago, phillos said:

Toshi Ranbo is not gonna be occupied military, it will be assigned by Imperial Decree. Hence the “Glory Points” to decide which clan gets it.

So there will be no need to put a garrison to defend it, nobody will go against the will of the emperor.

Regarding Crab, I see it as a political maneuver. If they give them the Jade mine, it’ll look like that they’re actually giving into Crab demands for help, but at the same time they’re resolving the Toshi Ranbo problem without much fuss (nobody’s gonna argue about their duty to help in the fight against the Shadowlands), apart from shutting the crab’s mouth for some time.

I picture it like the emperor appearing in the middle of the armies during a massive battle, fully dressed as The Colonel , and then shouting “Stop it! This is silly! Stop it right now!... ok, the Crab gets the city now. Now, everybody, off you go!”

Edited by Tabris2k
18 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

Is this true in the new lore? From the cards released so far, it seems that Unicorn are even more of a military oriented clan in new L5R. Which I suppose make some kind of sense: not much point in politicking when everyone thinks you are barbarian scum, too unrefined to appreciate the fine details of diplomacy. ;)

6 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

And in a surprise twist Crab wins the tournament, is awarded the fort+region and immediately offers it to the Mantis so that it may become their first stronghold as major clan

giphy.webp

Blast he knows too much, quick paint some scrolls black and leave them in the Phoenix library as a distraction

Edited by Schmoozies
spelling of the spelling god

Of particular interest is the Crane turning inward. If we lose the Osari Plains and Toshi Ranbo, things do not look good for feeding the people. Doji Hotaru is already selling down, how much worse will it get if we get punched up by the Lion while the Mantis pick our pockets? Will the Kuwanan/Hotaru conflict come to a head? If he learns about Hotaru & Kachiko, there's no way he doesn't think that his sister had her Scorpion lover kill their dad.