AAA!

By Hepitude, in Runewars Miniatures Game

3 hours ago, Xquer said:

Would  anyone mind sharing the objective card for Kethra?  

The name of the objective is Conquest. Each player places an objective token on up to 4 of their units. Don't remove deployment markers after setup. If a unit with an objective token enters the opponent's deployment zone, score 15 points.

Edited by Budgernaut
18 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

The name of the objective is Conquest. Each player places an objective token on up to 4 of their units. Don't remove deployment markers after setup. If a unit with an objective token enters the opponent's deployment zone, score 15 points.

Sooo....focused break their defenses?

35 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

Thanks!

Wonder if you could abuse that by just having a single unit that shifts in then modifier set to shift back out.

4 minutes ago, Xquer said:

Thanks!

Wonder if you could abuse that by just having a single unit that shifts in then modifier set to shift back out.

That would cost that unit one turn, and it would have to be near the enemy zone. I don't anticipate any problems.

51 minutes ago, Xelto said:

That would cost that unit one turn, and it would have to be near the enemy zone. I don't anticipate any problems.

Yeah, I imagine you score it once per token so that the each unit can only get points once.

Still I got a giggle out of the image of a lone scion constantly shuffling back and forth while its friends are dying thinking "I'm a helper!"

So I’m only getting 2 boxes of the Scouts (for now, it’s already a big order) so I probably won’t try this, but I just thought of a potentially very exploitative use for 4 boxes.

rune 2x. 2x2’s of scouts, one with Pathfinder, one with Kari. 86 points, so over 40% of your list, but what it can let you do is save two units to late deploy no matter what. Find the greatest high value target of your enemy that you think you can exploit and eliminate. Deploy Kari scouts and execute a 3 turn, try and position for a flank. Get engaged by end of turn 1/beginning of turn 2, and drop your pathfinder scouts to pincer that same unit. You have enough points left over for 2x 3x1 crossbows w/ rank steel, and still have 46 points for some defender(s) in front. Play defensive until the scouts are done and can press the flank, and if your enemy actions toward the scouts advance and shoot with the rest of the army while Kari splashes on the advancing threats.

i realized this is planned out in a vacuum with multiple convenient factors. (Enemy deploys sloppily, doesn’t understand the potential threat, well placed terrain near said vulnerable enemy, etc) and that your enemy reacts in a binary response to your ambush. Also even if you do pull this off I doubt that enemy will ever make the same mistake again.

just saying, would be pretty cool to pull off.

I think this wave is great across the board.

I'm thinking if your opponent does drop 2 2x2 scouts like that, then you'd better find a way to deploy and early maneuver to avoid it. It is a cute trick, but it depends extremely on absolutely everything going right and your opponent being a bit dense when it comes to strategy and tactics.

38 minutes ago, Vergilius said:

I'm thinking if your opponent does drop 2 2x2 scouts like that, then you'd better find a way to deploy and early maneuver to avoid it. It is a cute trick, but it depends extremely on absolutely everything going right and your opponent being a bit dense when it comes to strategy and tactics.

Agreed. Again it definitely requires a best case scenario, however there certainly is still value in forcing your opponent to deploy more defensively or grouped simply due to the threat and penalty that comes with not planning for that. Could certainly help slow down that Uthuk rush that seems to be plaguing Terrinoth right now. Maybe not worth 40% of your list. But I’d argue it’s worth a few tries.

2 hours ago, jcshep19 said:

there certainly is still value in forcing your opponent to deploy more defensively or grouped simply due to the threat...

Exactly this.

4 hours ago, jcshep19 said:

however there certainly is still value in forcing your opponent to deploy more defensively or grouped simply due to the threat and penalty that comes with not planning for that.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about for Waiqar. I think for us, defensive deployment is the order of the day. I can't split my forces and hope to win. If my forces are split, I need to have a plan to bring them together to focus our attacks. So we always need to be grouped, and hope that we can take on the enemy piecemeal. I think Wraiths are an interesting option here because they can force rerolls and even pass through units to force the enemy to split their attention. In theory, anyway.

Speaking of Wraiths, I haven't mastered Undying Hate. It activates before deployment, so ideally you can scare your opponent from putting a unit somewhere good. In practice I think most people won't be afraid of a unit that trades a blue die for a white die without rerolls or any way to use surges. If you're going to get mileage out of Undying Hate, I think you may need to spam a little. I think I'm going to take three 2x1's and see how that works out, because you'll have one more enemy unit with Mark of Vengeance over two 3x1's, and you can send all you're Wraiths to gang up on one of three enemy units instead of two. I could be way off here. Just like an opponent maybe shouldn't fear that white die, it might not be worth giving up threat just to get it to trigger.

On 8/3/2018 at 12:00 PM, Xquer said:

Thanks!

On 8/3/2018 at 12:06 PM, Xelto said:

Put a Scuttling Horror on the line. It scuttles in and shifts out every turn for 15 points.

I don't believe this actually works. I think the objective token is removed from the unit when you score it. I can't check the wording, though, because all my Runewars stuff is in the trunk of my car that was rear-ended yesterday and is now at the towing yard.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, Xquer said:

Would anyone mind sharing the objective card for Kethra?

I wish there was a way to grab the terrain from other fractions. Tournaments seem to give out the objectives/deployments to some extent. People tend to buy two starters so that's easy enough to trade, but who buys extra copies of heroes?

I really should not buy Kethra just for those items right?

I forgot to ask Brooks at the tournament whether there were plans for terrain/scenario catch-up packs. Yeah, OP has been doing scenario cards, but if your local store has given up on running quarterly tournaments... Also, not everybody should have to go all-in and buy four copies of a hero the way Josh did to get the terrain he wanted...

On 8/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, Xquer said:

Yeah, I imagine you score it once per token so that the each unit can only get points once.

Still I got a giggle out of the image of a lone scion constantly shuffling back and forth while its friends are dying thinking "I'm a helper!"

I mean, turnabout is fair play, right? I fully anticipate that, a year from now, Scions stop being a legal ally to Latari as diplomatic ties between their races break down over the cavalier sacrifice of Scion after Scion on the battlefield by Latari generals...

On 8/4/2018 at 9:29 PM, Budgernaut said:

...because all my Runewars stuff is in the trunk of my car that was rear-ended yesterday and is now at the towing yard.

**** man, is it OK at least??

27 minutes ago, Viktus106 said:

I will hopefully find out tomorrow. Getting hit on a Friday means we've been waiting all weekend for Monday when we can actually talk to insurance companies and stuff. They have to take possession of the vehicle in order to cut open the trunk which is smashed so bad even a crowbar can't pry it open. It's been pretty hot, so most of my figures will be horribly bent if they're not broken. My priority, though, has been on my 6-year-old daughter who is in the hospital with a broken femur. But with something like that there's only so much you can do, which is why I've had a lot of downtime to spend on the forums while sitting around waiting for doctors and stuff. Fortunately, my wife, my 9-year-old, and I all got out with nothing but scrapes and bruises. We were hit pretty hard and are just grateful to all be alive.

Edited by Budgernaut
spelling
42 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I will hopefully find out tomorrow. Getting hit on a Friday means we've been waiting all weekend for Monday when we can actually talk to insurance companies and stuff. They have to take possession of the vehicle in order to cut open the trunk which is smashed so bad even a crowbar can't pry it open. It's been pretty hot, so most of my figures will be horribly bent if they're not broken. My priority, though, has been on my 6-year-old daughter who is in the hospital with a broken femur. But with something like that there's only so much you can do, which is why I've had a lot of downtime to spend on the forums while sitting around waiting for doctors and stuff. Fortunately, my wife, my 9-year-old, and I all got out with nothing but scrapes and bruises. We were hit pretty hard and are just grateful to all be alive.

Sounds like a harrowing experience and I'm glad you and your family are pulling though.

Never easy going through something like that. The waiting I find is the worst part but hopefully you will hear some positive news soon!

On 8/5/2018 at 10:42 PM, Viktus106 said:

Update! I got my luggage back from the crushed trunk today (and my daughter was discharged from the hospital). None of my figures appear to have broken, though there was defibitely some bending. Templates and range rulers all survived, but my core set box did not. Also, Raider's Tent, Burning Forest, and one other terrain suatained some damage, but they appear to be playable. Burning Forest/Ransacked Manor is one I use frequently, but I have two copies and can only put one in a tournament terrain deck. My regional trophy also survived, but it was in its own pocket and wrapped in a 3'x3' felt mat, so that's not too surprising.

My Rune Age box is now trash and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game box is now looking rather sorry. At least the latter one will be replaced by Heroes of Terrinoth soon. I'm glad the Rune Age cards weren't ruined since that game is out of print.

I had a lot of figures and such stored in the new expansion boxes and I must say I was very impressed with the protection they offered. They are so much better than the old expansion boxes. The other surprise was that the spines on the tail mouth of the Spined Threshers poked through the inner wall of the box without sustaining damage.

Glad to hear you are safe. That's a harrowing experience, for sure.

4 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

Update! I got my luggage back from the crushed trunk today (and my daughter was discharged from the hospital). None of my figures appear to have broken, though there was defibitely some bending. Templates and range rulers all survived, but my core set box did not. Also, Raider's Tent, Burning Forest, and one other terrain suatained some damage, but they appear to be playable. Burning Forest/Ransacked Manor is one I use frequently, but I have two copies and can only put one in a tournament terrain deck. My regional trophy also survived, but it was in its own pocket and wrapped in a 3'x3' felt mat, so that's not too surprising.

My Rune Age box is now trash and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game box is now looking rather sorry. At least the latter one will be replaced by Heroes of Terrinoth soon. I'm glad the Rune Age cards weren't ruined since that game is out of print.

I had a lot of figures and such stored in the new expansion boxes and I must say I was very impressed with the protection they offered. They are so much better than the old expansion boxes. The other surprise was that the spines on the tail mouth of the Spined Threshers poked through the inner wall of the box without sustaining damage.

Glad to hear your daughter is out of hospital and that things are looking up!

Also:

"The other surprise was that the spines on the tail mouth of the Spined Threshers poked through the inner wall of the box without sustaining damage."

Further proof that Spined Threshers are the real OG of the Rune Wars game.