Possible spoiler regarding the Lion/Unicorn conflict

By mirrorcat, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

This has likely been pointed out somewhere but just in case...

Breath_of_Kami_F_1200x1200.png?v=1529603 L5C14_101.jpg

Can we take this as a sign that the Ponies managed to retake the fort? (unicorn's card art shows some signs of battle and a newly built stable)

“sacrifice a (friendly) Cavalry character”

But at what cost?

1 minute ago, Manchu said:

“sacrifice a (friendly) Cavalry character”

But at what cost?

1 love-struck rebellious teenager?

I feel sorry for the boy but he was definitely pursuing the wrong lady.

I would hate to lose him. He’s the only one witha good head on his shoulders. She, however, would not hesitate.

*snerk* Like ponies and kitty cats know anything about sacrifice.

Given that the force that took it was likely operating outside the authority of the Lion high command and most of their military is oriented toward the Crane I don't think the Unicorn will have too much trouble liberating it once their counter-offensive gets going.

I have mixed feeling about him.

while i appreciate the fact that he called out his mother actions as a selfish and pretentious excuse to please her own pride, i do also find his implicit intention to restore the bethrothal to be equally hypocritical

2 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

This has likely been pointed out somewhere but just in case...

Breath_of_Kami_F_1200x1200.png?v=1529603 L5C14_101.jpg

Can we take this as a sign that the Ponies managed to retake the fort? (unicorn's card art shows some signs of battle and a newly built stable)

Isn't that the stable that shows up on Sabotage? In which case it might be that it was burnt down allowing the Lion to take and hold the fort.

2 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Isn't that the stable that shows up on Sabotage? In which case it might be that it was burnt down allowing the Lion to take and hold the fort.

Sabotage.png?version=99ff7af92f1d40ef20d

this burning stable seems to be residing inside an encampment/fort or at the very least adjacent to a wall while the Unicorn's one appear to be a makeshift one built outside.

But most importantly, are you trying to insinuate that the proud and honorable members of the Lion clan would degrade themselves to adopt subterfuge and underhanded tactics? Surely you jest!

Edited by mirrorcat
2 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

But most importantly, are you trying to insinuate that the proud and honorable members of the Lion clan would degrade themselves to adopt subterfuge and underhanded tactics? Surely you jest!

Of course not!

... that’s what they hire ronin for.

That’s what someone hires ronin for ... nobody is quite sure who hired them.

18 minutes ago, Manchu said:

The Crane?

* points at Hotaru *

I thought we were talking about the ronin who captured Kuwanan.

41 minutes ago, Manchu said:

Ah, so the Lion lack proper oversight over their mercenaries. Good to know.

“Proper” is a word I don’t feel the Crab are entitled to use.

I'm sure the Lion will spare no effort uncovering who would dare to undermine their authority and misrepresent their leadership in such a way. Indeed, the magistrates are no doubt right on the heels of such a villain, and I am looking forward to their investigations bearing fruit.

Matsu Tsuko is already quite suspicious. If she can figure out that Toturi needs to know, the mystery will be solved.

I'm more curious about the stats having a potential flavor impact.

Lion have slightly more province strength but lower starting honor. So does this mean they won the province, and re-fortified, but, because they were the aggressors in Unicorn held lands they lose some honor as a result?

Or maybe Unicorn won back the province and the fortifications are somewhat weakened by all the recent conflict, but, Unicorn regain some honor by claiming back what is rightfully theirs and causing the Lion to lose face by being defeated in battle?

Just some broad generalizations, just curious if the varying province stats represent anything important.

9 hours ago, Manchu said:

“Proper” is a word I don’t feel the Crab are entitled to use.

Of course we are. We invented the financial system and operate on a very tight budget so we're experts on keeping track of expenses and who authorized what so they can be held responsible if something goes wrong. But I suppose since they lack the urgent matter requiring constant attention that the Crab have the Lion can afford to have shoddy policies in their handling of the tax revenue the Emperor generously allows them to make use of.

9 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I'm more curious about the stats having a potential flavor impact.

Lion have slightly more province strength but lower starting honor. So does this mean they won the province, and re-fortified, but, because they were the aggressors in Unicorn held lands they lose some honor as a result?

Or maybe Unicorn won back the province and the fortifications are somewhat weakened by all the recent conflict, but, Unicorn regain some honor by claiming back what is rightfully theirs and causing the Lion to lose face by being defeated in battle?

Just some broad generalizations, just curious if the varying province stats represent anything important.

I'd like to think that the -1DEF is the result of the newly commisioned hole delivered right on the left of the main gate (that btw is still as pristine as the day they installed it)

while the extra influence could represent the remarkable impression left by this victory on the amazed courts of rokugan. (This is afterall the first defensive loss for lion since the start of the conflict)

7 hours ago, mirrorcat said:

I'd like to think that the -1DEF is the result of the newly commisioned hole delivered right on the left of the main gate (that btw is still as pristine as the day they installed it)

while the extra influence could represent the remarkable impression left by this victory on the amazed courts of rokugan. (This is afterall the first defensive loss for lion since the start of the conflict)

In fairness its also the first battle between the clans as it is the start of the conflict. You have to remember Lion took the city when there was no Unicorn garrison present to speak of, Unicorn get word and they send Shono and an army to re-take it. I would put the changes down to Influence decrease is down to the shady way that Lion are justifying the taking of the city and the view left by the rest of the clans on their actions, the province strength is that the Unicorns did some damage when they re-took the city so will need to make some repairs before it is fully defensible again.

19 hours ago, Manchu said:

18 hours ago, Manchu said:

Matsu Tsuko is already quite suspicious. If she can figure out that Toturi needs to know, the mystery will be solved.

Ah, yes, although they claimed they were hired by the Lion, we cannot be sure of who hired them.

If only we had someone to interrogate regarding this matter, like their leader... He would know for sure, but, unfortunately, was beheaded by Matsu Tsuko, surely in one of her infamous fits of rage, and not because she didn’t want him to talk about that delicate matter...

From my point of view, if both players play with that stronghold, then we can safely assume that they're battling it out for the ownership of that specific territory.
The stronghold's ability needs you to sacrifice a character, as in, station them on guard management duty.
To me it's a culminating moment for the Lion-Unicorn war over that particular conflict and I would love to see much more iterations of this for characters, attachments and even actions!

On 7/30/2018 at 11:07 AM, Tabris2k said:

surely in one of her infamous fits of rage, and not because she didn’t want him to talk about that delicate matter...

That's a bizarre insinuarion considering the story is told from her POV.

Edited by Manchu
9 minutes ago, Manchu said:

That's a bizarre insinuarion considering the story is told from her POV.

Insinuation? Who’s insinuating? Oh, moi ? No, no, no, nothing further from the truth. I’m only saying that a little bit of self-control would have gotten more information than a rage-born sword slash.

No, seriously really. Those ronin are first depicted by Ikoma Eiji as “honorless ronin” attacking by themselves.

Then, from Kakita Asami POV we got that “the Crane Clan forces would not have fallen—not to some “band of ronin,” as the Lion had claimed. Even
if there had been ronin at the vanguard, the Lion had assuredly paid them off, and some bannerless Lion Clan ashigaru had no doubt supported the warriors as well.”

Then those ronin appear in the Lion encampment and claim to have been hired by the Lion.

And then, Tsuko kill their leader before asking him who exactly hired him, after being wondering about that same thing?

Not the smartest move...

Also, I think it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that the Lion indeed hired those ronin, and Tsuko just ignored it. It seems a maneuver a clever Ikoma could pull to gain some political weight.

3 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

Insinuation? Who’s insinuating? Oh, moi ? No, no, no, nothing further from the truth. I’m only saying that a little bit of self-control would have gotten more information than a rage-born sword slash.

No, seriously really. Those ronin are first depicted by Ikoma Eiji as “honorless ronin” attacking by themselves.

Then, from Kakita Asami POV we got that “the Crane Clan forces would not have fallen—not to some “band of ronin,” as the Lion had claimed. Even
if there had been ronin at the vanguard, the Lion had assuredly paid them off, and some bannerless Lion Clan ashigaru had no doubt supported the warriors as well.”

Then those ronin appear in the Lion encampment and claim to have been hired by the Lion.

And then, Tsuko kill their leader before asking him who exactly hired him, after being wondering about that same thing?

Not the smartest move...

Also, I think it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that the Lion indeed hired those ronin, and Tsuko just ignored it. It seems a maneuver a clever Ikoma could pull to gain some political weight.

I see you're making the first mistake in a Manchu discussion of letting logic and common sense try to refute his position. Expect the standard nope she did nothing wrong response shortly.