Kyle Katarn as an Imperial Assault Hero #neverforget

By Kraemet, in Imperial Assault Campaign

So, because Disney left Kyle definitively in the dust as of Rogue One and because he is a great fit for IA thematically, I have tried my hand at designing him into the game as a playable hero. He is supposed to be a versatile and self-sufficient hero, who can be built either towards damage/disruption or survivability as you see fit.

This forum allows only for 70kB attachments, so follow this link to see Star Wars' own Chuck Norris in his Imperial Asault Glory along with my commentary.

https://imgur.com/a/cZSRRmW

Feedback welcome - in fact, that's the only reason I'm posting this publicly. It was hard to reconcile the facts that as per canon he'd be able to solo all the missions, but in the game he must function only as exactly 25% of a team and not much more. Some abilities may be too weak as a result and other too useful...

OLD VERSION! SEE NEW IN LINK ABOVE. (The upload functionality of this forum here refuses to cooperate)

SW-IA-Character Template_web.jpg

Credits to

- kaio89 for the awesome illustration of Kyle that looks like it was made for the game :) https://www.deviantart.com/kaio89/gallery/

- geckoTH for the psd template wihtout which I would have spend twice the time doing this! www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/72602/geckoths-photoshop-templates

Edited by Kraemet

This is really cool! Between Force Grip, Jedi Reflexes and a few other abilities there's going to be a lot of mind games going on with positioning on both sides.

I see what you were saying in the other thread about being able to heal quickly (especially with the energy shield adding a block), but with his other abilities adding a lot of strain (and that strain potentially turning into damage) it may not be too much. The key might be that he has to use his Tempted ability at the end of his turn (at least at the beginning), meaning that if he does it the imps should hopefully be able to pile on and finish him off in one burst. Although Jedi Reflexes makes this a bit harder... really it's tough to say, I guess you'll just have to try him out :) . If nothing else, if he spends his time healing he won't be doing much else which is not always a bad thing for the imperial side.

In any case, huge props for making such an interesting character with abilities that tie in so well thematically to the PC games.

Does Tempted by the Dark Side allow to remove strain tokens from any hero and replace them with damage?

Wording suggestion:
Tempted by the Dark Side : At the end of your activation, you may remove any number of strain tokens from your sheet, then suffer an equal amount of dmg (damage).

Do Jedi Reflexes need to move exactly 2 spaces? (There are very few 1-space-wide places, so you can usually zig-zag to end up in an adjacent space, but "up to 2 spaces" might be more clear.)

Edit: Force Speed - you should require that Kyle doesn't end movement in a space with blocking or impassable terrain. (See my Salvaged Jetpacks from SWIA050.)

687474703a2f2f7777772e696b692e66692f6131

Mind Trick: "Performs an attack controlled by you." needs rewording. Now it's not one or the other. Either you perform an attack with that figure , or the figure performs an attack (and can only target hostile figures).

Clarity: Should be "when you have not suffered strain equal to your endurance." but it's long. (maybe "if you can voluntarily suffer strain".)

Typo corrections and missing "the" articles are also required.

Force Speed and Mind Trick are "reserved words", so I suggest trying to come up with a little different names for the abilities. (And we already have two Force Lightnings.)

Edited by a1bert
5 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Does Tempted by the Dark Side allow to remove strain tokens from any hero and replace them with damage?

Wording suggestion:
Tempted by the Dark Side : At the end of your activation, you may remove any number of strain tokens from your sheet, then suffer an equal amount of dmg (damage).

Do Jedi Reflexes need to move exactly 2 spaces? (There are very few 1-space-wide places, so you can usually zig-zag to end up in an adjacent space, but "up to 2 spaces" might be more clear.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for Jedi Reflexes , yeah that was supposed to be "up to two", missed while transcribing from my notes.

Elsewhere it was pointed out to me that Tempted by the Dark Side is not tempting enough - and that's true I guess. As is, it is just delaying a problem you already have, so I'd change it to something that gives an actual advantage but still retains the spirit of the thing:

"Take X (at least one) DMG. Then, recover X+1 STR (no DMG)."

You still hurt yourself, but it's a net benefit. I dislike the wording of " X (at least one)", but idk how to formulate "2+" and then refer to it as "X+1". Also, this makes Clarity slightly weaker for the missed opportunity cost :(

As ManateeX says, it will have to be play tested to truly figure out if it's a bit too much. But I feel confident that he's a pretty high-strain-cost character and if you take more than one defensive skill, you won't on the other hand have all that many things to spend strain on. My biggest worry is that some abilities (esp. Clarity, as it is quite a twist on the gameplay) are just not worth taking over others - but that's a problem the official heroes tend to have as well, so clearly it's a hard one to avoid.

Thanks for all the corrections, I will definitely do some editing when I get home today :)

Version 2.0 is up! Implemented most of the suggestions I got, among them removing Imperial Defector (nice thematically, but it cluttered the card and is overkill mechanically) and Force Speed (turns out with it he was potentially faster than Jyn Odan, eh) and adding a hopefully more enjoyable skill.

Great Update!!!

Here's a back card for his XP cards. :)

Full size here: https://imgur.com/bvf2544

_XP card back.gif

Edited by JasonTheConner
Fixed URL