RIP Rebel Faction

By Tvboy, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

This hurts rebel melee figures more than ranged figures though.

Melee figures don’t have the luxury of hanging back close to their support units to get focused up each round. That round 1 focus is usually all you get as a melee figure before you charge off into battle.

Also Scum doesn’t rely on focus nearly as much as Rebels do. A lot of scums figures are self-focusing or self-hiding, and Scum has access to 3 focus generators instead of just 2.

Edited by Tvboy
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:45 AM, brettpkelly said:

Either focus is a broken mechanic and losing a focus is a big deal, or focus is not a big deal and losing it doesnt matter. You can't argue that both Focus is too strong AND that losing focus has a negligible impact.

Gideon, 3PO and Jabba generate 3 Focus a turn, on Uscru I can focus up to 6 figures before the action really starts. That is broken. Even if you don't have Jabba, you can still focus Han and 3 Rangers before the action really starts. That is really powerful, at the edge of being OP.

Removing ONE of those 4 to 6 Focus is not as strong ...

Spending 12 points on support is not op.

1 hour ago, DerBaer said:

Gideon, 3PO and Jabba generate 3 Focus a turn, on Uscru I can focus up to 6 figures before the action really starts. That is broken. Even if you don't have Jabba, you can still focus Han and 3 Rangers before the action really starts. That is really powerful, at the edge of being OP.

Removing ONE of those 4 to 6 Focus is not as strong ...

Its not OP at all.
Against the Empire, it ends up with some VERY close games in our groups and we're at high level competitive play.

I needed to confront my ideas with other people to understand where the real power of this card is. I initially thought this was just a focus on round 1 and a reroll. When you use pirates or rangers you want them to kill someone early during the round to get rid of an opponent's activation. Because of Doubt you'll need to activate focusers first, give focus and then activate pirates or rangers. 2 focused pirates are a threat, if only one of them is focused chances of making a kill lowers consistently (newer units have also bigger health pool). Activating pirates or rangers after Gideon and C-3PO means that you probably won't have LoS anymore on the strategic target you wanted, perhaps the target has been already activated and this reduces the advantage you get from the kill, also you activated Gideon and C-3PO conceding 2 activations to the opponent that may potentially kill 1 pirate or ranger. This card is powerful. Its power is inside the threat it has during the course of the game. This is what the user of the card really wants. Removing the focus or rerolling a die are just nice additions. The threatening effect affects opponent's strategy and screws his/her plans. If the threatening effect due to the focus removal isn't enough, you can add Tough Luck and you'll have your opponent playing on the safe side for the whole game otherwise he/she may miss an attack.

Edited by Golan Trevize

Hrmf. Impulsive post that didn't actually add to the conversation.

Voluntarily removed, with apologies. ; )

Edited by IndyPendant