Vorun thuul place in Waiqar list building

By Susanooo, in Runewars List Building

As weall wait for our next waves of expansions (with wraiths just right abou the corner) ive been thinking how to build an army sround our yet unreleased hero: Lord Vorun Thull. We all know that in Ardus lists we usually want upgrades and some carrions and archers for our skeleton general to utilise surges on. We also know that our humble Maro really likes infanty heavy lists to use his regeneration ability for them to allow our skeletons to keep fighting. But what about vorum thull. Hes more a flank, ounmaneuver them type of hero with some serious punch. Ive been thinking about 4 tray death knights and 3-4 tray wraighs as main damage dealers with maby 4-6 tray block of basic archer reanimates to attack from far away or maby a 6 tray block of reanimates with lingering dead as an anvil that will tie our opponent unit and alow knights wraiths and thull to flank and destroy that what skeletons are tying in combat. Thull with 4 tray death knights, 4 tray wraiths, 6 tray reanimates and 4 tray archrs are 179 points so 21 points for upgrades. What are your plans on using vorun thull and what units might be just right for him to take on a list?

Edited by Warlordus

I honestly haven't given it a lot of thought yet, but my instinct is a 12-tray unit of Reanimates with Ardus upgrade as the start of that list. As long as Lord Vorun'thul has line of sight, he should be able to find a way to engage with whomever is engaged with the Reanimates. I'd probably throw in some 2x1 Reanimate Archers with Combat Ingenuity so Ardus can deal blight with surges. Here's the rough draft:

Reanimates [64] 4x3
Ardus IxErebus [23]
Front Line Carrion Lancer [5]
Blighted Vexillum Bearer [3]
Aggressive Drummer [5]
Lingering Dead [3]
Total Unit Cost: 103

Lord Vorunthul [40] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 40

Reanimate Archers [18] 2x1
Combat Ingenuity [6]
Total Unit Cost: 24

Reanimate Archers [18] 2x1
Combat Ingenuity [6]
Total Unit Cost: 24

191 points, so Lord Vorun'thul should have room for upgrades. It's probably too many upgrades on the 12 tray Reanimates, but they combo well. This will do okay this tournament season, but the 12 tray is easily flanked, so Demoralize Their Forces is rough. But next season we lose Demoralize Their Forces, and pick up Sieze the Artifacts, which will be a good one for this list.

P.S. you mentioned the 6-tray Reanimates as an anvil, but they can't take Lingering Dead until the 9-tray, so I think they'd fold pretty quickly.

I would seriously consider him with an all worm army of various sizes. Then try an all knight build, then try sprinkling wraiths in.

12 hours ago, Parakitor said:

P.S. you mentioned the 6-tray Reanimates as an anvil, but they can't take Lingering Dead until the 9-tray, so I think they'd fold pretty quickly.

then i could drop 2 trays of archers for 9 tray reanimates with just lingering dead. then they can survuve significatly longer and also be able to deal lots of damage on their own and i still have wraiths death knights and Vorun thull as main damage dealers.

I need to see his next reveal article before I can really wrap my head around his list build type.

Just a random thought...

Vorun gets a surge to add brutal 1.

Ardus gets the ability to use surge abilities of nearby units, can dial up a surge, and gets an upgrade to add a surge to anytime he fights.

If you really want to combo it;

6 Reanimates with fallen hero, Dusk Blade and Combat Ingenuity.

Now Ardus (with Fortunas Dice and Ardus Fury) can dial up a surge, add a surge, rolls 2 white dice, and can dictate 1 of those dice.

Spends 1 surge to go to brutal 2 (thanks Vorun), and another surge to drop the defense of his opponent by 1.

Against defense 2 cav, an average round would kill 9 cav.

If you don't want super combo, take re-rolls instead of the surge, and just have ardus hang out near Vorun for the extra brutal.

Ardus steals Surge abilities, not Unique Surges, so he wouldn't be able to steal VT's Unique Surge

2 hours ago, rebellightworks said:

Ardus steals Surge abilities, not Unique Surges, so he wouldn't be able to steal VT's Unique Surge

There is a very real chance that unique surges are a type of surge in much the same way that turning marches are a type of march. Will require FAQ, but I expect it to be ruled the same way as the Aggressive musicians - permissively.

As for Vorun'thul, without having played against him, I expect him to bring serious force projection to Waiqar. Death Knights sorta have it, Wraiths sorta have it, but overall it's tough for Waiqar to be very threatening on the board. Vorun'thul should be able to bully in much the same way as Kari can, preying hard on things that can't stand up to him, but also critically being able to get himself out of trouble with the flexibility of his shapeshifting.

So what army can take advantage of that presence? Well, any that wants some relief from more mobile, aggressive foes I'd say. When it comes to fighting, Reanimates are pretty swell! It's just they're incredible slow. With Vorun'thul at their side, they're much harder to approach risk-free.

Very interested in seeing him on the table.

7 hours ago, Bhelliom said:

Reanimates are pretty swell! It's just they're incredible slow.

Once you practice the butt-swing charges, they really aren't that bad.

And that is coming from a former Reanimates hater.

But back to Captain Peroxide - he is a great Obcasium's Gauntlet delivery service.
Will be fun with Reaping Blade and can boost that 3x2 Reanimate unit if you take Ardus to be more threatening.
The 4x3 with him is likely an overkill.

3x2 Lord V, Lingering Dead, Raven Tabards is a fairly cheap Threat 4 with excellent dice.

So far we haven't seen any of his Uniques but it looks like he should not run as expensive as Ankaur Maro does at 52 (Fortuna, Violent Forces)

He makes listbuilding around him challenging because he doesn’t really force an archetype. So I don’t really have a muse when looking at his card.

Barring some absurd uniques, he looks to be an interesting flank guard.