Jedi Star Misc thread

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

Which students aren't being trained as Jedi?

I think there are a few who arnt even fs right? I may be mistaken.

13 hours ago, CathyKitten said:

Are you forcing these characters to have lightsaber proficiency? Teetoe has 1 brawn and will not be spending XP on a lightsaber tree. Is he expected to spend XP (10/15/20/25/30) on ranks just for this one encounter?

13 hours ago, Stormbourne said:

that is another thing what of those who don't want lightsabers surly i could be placed with them until and appropriate narrative moment to get a kimber stone

7 hours ago, TheShard said:

I think he's talking about the students that will be training more or less as jedi. That's not all students.

4 hours ago, TheShard said:

I think there are a few who arnt even fs right? I may be mistaken.

All of the starting characters are Force users, though some don't know it yet, and are native F&D characters. It's only @Lotr_Nerd 's character, Jornek Accendere , a Master level character, who is not the least bit Force Sensitive.

And, yes, the idea is that they would all be training as Jedi . That's the whole purpose of the Jedi Star, and the primary goal of this campaign. It is to train a new generation of Jedi. Everyone knew that coming in.

A required part of Jedi training is proficiency in the lightsaber, and having to build a lightsaber. This means at least one rank (if not 2-3 ranks) in the Lightsaber skill. This is a standard part of Jedi training, and rite of passage all Jedi trainees were required to pass. The dojo grants Lightsaber as a Career skill to a the PCs who make use of it, and the Holocron on board the ship grants Mechanics and Lore as career skills as well, and includes schematics for different types of lightsabers, as well as basic teaching on every non-unique Force power. Even if a character later chooses to forego using his or her lightsaber, it is required of all Jedi that they build one, and know how to use one properly in order to attain the rank of Jedi Knight . In fact, there are certain minimums every Jedi needed to know, aside from lightsaber proficiency (including being able to deflect or otherwise avoid blaster bolts). All Jedi needed to know the basic Enhance power, with Force Leap, They had to know Sense , Foresee , and Move . These are all part of the Trial of Skill . The Jedi Trials can only be taken once the starting characters have reached an FR of 2 and have at least 100 XP spent on Force powers and upgrades, or Force using specs.

You can't force people to pay xp for something they don't want. Ffs we've just been over you have to let people play their characters how they want.

17 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

All of the starting characters are Force users, though some don't know it yet, and are native F&D characters. It's only @Lotr_Nerd 's character, Jornek Accendere , a Master level character, who is not the least bit Force Sensitive.

And, yes, the idea is that they would all be training as Jedi . That's the whole purpose of the Jedi Star, and the primary goal of this campaign. It is to train a new generation of Jedi. Everyone knew that coming in.

A required part of Jedi training is proficiency in the lightsaber, and having to build a lightsaber. This means at least one rank (if not 2-3 ranks) in the Lightsaber skill. This is a standard part of Jedi training, and rite of passage all Jedi trainees were required to pass. The dojo grants Lightsaber as a Career skill to a the PCs who make use of it, and the Holocron on board the ship grants Mechanics and Lore as career skills as well, and includes schematics for different types of lightsabers, as well as basic teaching on every non-unique Force power. Even if a character later chooses to forego using his or her lightsaber, it is required of all Jedi that they build one, and know how to use one properly in order to attain the rank of Jedi Knight . In fact, there are certain minimums every Jedi needed to know, aside from lightsaber proficiency (including being able to deflect or otherwise avoid blaster bolts). All Jedi needed to know the basic Enhance power, with Force Leap, They had to know Sense , Foresee , and Move . These are all part of the Trial of Skill . The Jedi Trials can only be taken once the starting characters have reached an FR of 2 and have at least 100 XP spent on Force powers and upgrades, or Force using specs.

You can not require people to do anything with their characters. If you could I would quit the game on principle. The plan for Chemdat is to do at least most of what you said (not sure how he'd get parry/reflect because neither agressor nor warden have those) so even though it's not a huge leap for my starting character, I would quit the game if you had the authority to put requirements on anyone else's character. Your vision for this game holds no more weight than anyone else's. A *theme* was agreed to, game mechanical requirements were not. If you have a rules/build related expectation on anyone else's character, you should divest yourself of it now, because it's not going to be followed or enforced and if it was enforced, then this game would end.

4 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

You can't force people to pay xp for something they don't want. Ffs we've just been over you have to let people play their characters how they want.

I’m not telling people how to spend XP, not even the majority of it. I am simply reminding you all of what the requirements are for Jedi training, as well as qualifying for and passing the Trials , and what the primary campaign goal is, as established at the very beginning of the game and something everyone agreed to in the prep thread when they joined the game. That was the reason why all of the starting characters were required to be F&D characters in the first place. everyone agreed at the start of the game that their starting characters would all be training as Jedi in one form or another. This does have certain minimum requirements, and is what the Jedi masters will be teaching, be it a given lightsaber form, Force powers, lore, etc.

Just now, Tramp Graphics said:

I’m not telling people how to spend XP, not even the majority of it. I am simply reminding you all of what the requirements are for Jedi training, as well as qualifying for and passing the Trials , and what the primary campaign goal is, as established at the very beginning of the game and something everyone agreed to in the prep thread when they joined the game. That was the reason why all of the starting characters were required to be F&D characters in the first place. everyone agreed at the start of the game that their starting characters would all be training as Jedi in one form or another. This does have certain minimum requirements, and is what the Jedi masters will be teaching, be it a given lightsaber form, Force powers, lore, etc.

You do not get to decide what it means to be a jedi, or who does or does not get that label.

9 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

You do not get to decide what it means to be a jedi, or who does or does not get that label.

I’m going by what it says in both Nexus of Power and Disciples of Harmony. The Jedi Trials, as stated in DoH can only be undertaken by a character who has reached a FR of 2 and/or 100XP spent on Force powers or Force using Specializations. The Trial is Skill in Nexus of Power has several tests which require Move , Enhance , Sense , and Foresee , including certain upgrades. Those are in the rules. They’re not my requirements, for Jedi training, they’re the books’ requirements. They’re also canon requirements.

Edited by Tramp Graphics

You need to stop taking the books as gospel. Theres mechanical rules then theres fluff.

3 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I’m going by what it says in both Nexus of Power and Disciples of Harmony. The Jedi Trials, as stated in DoH can only be undertaken by a character who has reached a FR of 2 and/or 100XP spent on Force powers or Force using Specializations. The Trial is Skill in Nexus of Power has several tests which require Move , Enhance , Sense , and Foresee , including certain upgrades. Those are in the rules. They’re not my requirements, for Jedi training, they’re the books’ requirements. They’re also canon requirements.

Nexus of power is suggested reading not a requirement. Canon has nothing to do with game mechanics. And DoH, which is reasonable, does not require what you said was required in previous posts.

Ultimately, what you spend your XP on is your business. However, if you expect to take the Trials when the time comes, then it is highly advisable to put some XP into those skills and powers.

Just now, EliasWindrider said:

Nexus of power is suggested reading not a requirement. Canon has nothing to do with game mechanics. And DoH, which is reasonable, does not require what you said was required in previous posts.

1 minute ago, SithArissa said:

You need to stop taking the books as gospel. Theres mechanical rules then theres fluff.

I'm going to be running the Trials as they're written in DoH and Nexus of Power.

2 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

It's been something I've been trying to get through to Tramp for about 13 years now

Edited by EliasWindrider
2 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Ultimately, what you spend your XP on is your business. However, if you expect to take the Trials when the time comes, then it is highly advisable to put some XP into those skills and powers.

I'm going to be running the Trials as they're written in DoH and Nexus of Power.

Then people are going to opt out and do them on the next GM's turn. In other words EXPECT a boycott

Edited by EliasWindrider
4 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Page 78 of DoH states:

To become a Jedi Knight, Jedi Padawans were required to pass the Jedi Trials. Current Mentors can have their students face similar trials. Outside special exceptions, no student action should count toward the Jedi Trials until the student has achieved a Force rating of two or invested approximately 100 XP in Force powers or specializations from the careers in Force and Destiny.

Notice the words 'were' and 'can' one referencing old ways and one meaning OPTIONAL

Edited by SithArissa
15 minutes ago, SithArissa said:

Notice the words 'were' and 'can' one referencing old ways and one meaning OPTIONAL

You’re talking about at least five Jedi masters trained in the “old ways”. And Korath, in particular, was trained by a Master from ancient times predating even the Ruusan Reformations. These are the standards that the masters will be using, and be among the things we’ll be teaching, Korath in particular. Whether your characters actually learn them (put XP into them) is another matter.

Also, as with the Gathering and building of lightsabers, the party will be split between two GMs for the Trials , including the Trial of Spirit and Trial of Skill , to enable all of the starting characters to participate. If I were to GM these sessions solo, my starting character couldn’t participate in them.

So, as I said, I am not telling anyone what they “have to” to put XP into. I am advising them to make sure that their starting characters prepare for these events, and that these are things the mentors, particularly the Jedi Masters, will be teaching in order to prepare them.

However, given that both Xanth and Avalon already have at least one rank each in the Lightsaber skill already, I don’t see the problem.

I might note that if Tramp had been explicit in describing the campaign he was going to run at the get go, there would be no room to complain.

But (as it seems to be a pattern now) Tramp assumed... And when you assume, you make an *** out of you and me...

44 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

These are the standards that the masters will be using

@Tramp Graphics You don't get to choose what standards any other master character besides yourself will use.

So to the rest of you, if you don't want Tramp's/Korath's requirements to apply to you then don't have his character Korath as your apprentice character's master. I am willing for Chemdat to be Korath's apprentice so no one else has to and Tramp/Kortath gets to have an apprentice.

4 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

@Tramp Graphics You don't get to choose what standards any other master character besides yourself will use.

So to the rest of you, if you don't want Tramp's/Korath's requirements to apply to you then don't have his character Korath as your apprentice character's master. I am willing for Chemdat to be Korath's apprentice so no one else has to and Tramp/Kortath gets to have an apprentice.

i think avalons taken that roll already and i am to make it very fun

Just now, Stormbourne said:

i think avalons taken that roll already and i am to make it very fun

that's your call but if Tramp's requirements get to onerous for you later, feel free to switch masters and Chemdat can fill the void.

26 minutes ago, Jonas Shaaf said:

I might note that if Tramp had been explicit in describing the campaign he was going to run at the get go, there would be no room to complain.

But (as it seems to be a pattern now) Tramp assumed... And when you assume, you make an *** out of you and me...

Actually, I thought I was plenty explicit at the start.

I just checked the first post of the prep thread and yep, I was pretty clear:

One  , a n  ative Force and Destiny Starting XP character, built by RAW. by RAW. These will be training to  become a new generat   ion of  Jed  i.  

bull

that's a general statement which we signed up for, you made unusual assumptions about specifics that you now want to enforce as requirements.

Just now, SithArissa said:

bull

Bull that I was being clear or bull that I thought I was being clear?

Bull that I was being clear or bull that I thought I was being clear?

Bull that you were clear. I don't think anyone is challenging that you THINK your opinions make sense.