New California Expansion

By joeshmoe554, in Fallout

Does this introduce any changes to the end game scoring?

Very cool!! The characters seem to have interesting sounding abilities and the minis look great. Will be awesome to have even more quests and items and stuff.

18 minutes ago, Big Tom Casual said:

Perhaps it will include more what-are-they-called, the objective cards, and they just haven't mentioned it in the article.

End game scoring can be house ruled (altough a "fix" would have been appreciated), what I really would like is a proper proplogue to each possible outcome from the base scenarios and the new ones.

40 minutes ago, Big Tom Casual said:

Yeah, that's what I was looking for, as I think the game is pointless as the victory conditions currently stand. I like so much else about the game, but they really need to fix that. I guess we'll have to wait for more information.

A reply I got on twitter seems to think one of the scenarios is full on cooperative. If that's true, maybe some of the rules will be tweaked to apply this to all existing scenarios. Still, like my Eldritch Horror, XW, Armada and Imperial Assault addiction, more cards and stuff is good. And to think I've just backed the season 1 box of Elite Dangerous battlecards as well. Gonna have no money left and have some explaining to do to the wife. :)

Edited by Gallanteer
26 minutes ago, mjfilla said:

Yeah, that's what I was looking for, as I think the game is pointless as the victory conditions currently stand. I like so much else about the game, but they really need to fix that. I guess we'll have to wait for more information.

What is wrong with the endgame? I haven't played too much.

4 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

What is wrong with the endgame? I haven't played too much.

Problem is there really is none. The game suddenly ends when someone has enough points to win. Does't matter how far the story has progressed, it just ends. Very abruptly.

I've been playing with a slightly modified version of this scoring variant for the game https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3915573/hitotsumami , and it seems to have help a lot with the point scoring of the game and making sure the game proceeds to a satisfying conclusion instead of ending prematurely.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:07 PM, Systembolaget said:

Problem is there really is none. The game suddenly ends when someone has enough points to win. Does't matter how far the story has progressed, it just ends. Very abruptly.

The even bigger problem is that you can (and will) lose or win randomly based on the agenda cards you draw. If you keep drawing point cards for the side that is losing, you won't win and can't do much about it. This is the worst in a 3 player game because it basically forces you into a 2v1 situation. I'm sad that there is no hint of this expansion changing that. Star Wars Rebellion and Civilization expansion changed their respective combat for the better, so it's not liek there isn't a precedent for a major gameplay element fix in an expansion.

The coop scenario looks nice though. Hope there is some interaction though, and not just - you go there and I go here and then we roll dice.

There would have to be a whole other level of, what's the best word, 'selectiveness', if they weren't aware of how a lot of the community felt about the way the game ends.

I'd think they'll cover some changes in an article by itself, hopefully.

19 hours ago, NulEnvoid said:

There would have to be a whole other level of, what's the best word, 'selectiveness', if they weren't aware of how a lot of the community felt about the way the game ends.

I'd think they'll cover some changes in an article by itself, hopefully.

Let's hope so.

I love playing the game solo. But the scoring system really doesn't work,especially in multiplayer. I've seen a player dominate nearly every situation but lose the game due to getting poor agend cards.

Hope they fixed that but I plan to buy the game either way.

Very excited for this! The new characters look great and fully coop is awesome. My wife and I normally play to win together by having the required influence at the same time when one reveals so would be cool to have a more official way to play coop especially if it works in the other scenerios.

And alternate ending conditions would be good too. All in all looks like a definite pick up as we enjoy the game but it needs more content and variety.

I’m expecting there to be some reworking of some of the core content. Notice in the reveal pic that there’s an encounter card 166. This will replace a current one. Also there are three scenario cards fanned out with the very back one obscured except for the word “Expanded” in the title. So I’m seeing expansion (and enhancement, I hope) of core scenarios in addition to the new ones.

I wonder why we haven’t seen any small box expansions yet that add scenarios, encounters to the deck (so easy to do with the numbered deck system), map tiles, and enemies. I’m thinking and hoping it’s becuase this will be a major revision. Like Fallout 2.0.

2 hours ago, Medix311 said:

Notice in the reveal pic that there’s an encounter card 166. This will replace a current one.

The current deck only goes up to 159 so 166 is a brand new card

I want a companion app, digging for cards and having people read the cards is a little slow. I've played the game 10 times both solo and with people and after chasing a cat or going shopping gets old. My friends seem to fizzle out after about 1/2 through the game, and are sick of trying to find cards or remembering what missions there are currently (maybe they just aren't into it like me).

My house rule for the victory points is when someone can end it they announce it but it doesn't end until everyone is ready.

A coop mission could be getting a water chip... LOL

I would like there to be more than one starting point so players don't "get in each others way".

Yes an app like the one for This War of Mine would be great for solo and help speed up the game.

I would like more starting encounters because I've played every one and its getting a tad repetitive.

There might be a revised scenario from the base game. In one of the pictures of the components there are 3 encounter cards, 2 new ones and one that is mostly obscured. That one says "EXPANDED" on it.

Edited by jcmonson
to get the correct text for the card

This is very exciting! BUT I'm a little disappointed that there hasn't been anything added to the "Support" section of the game listing. No FAQs or other rules clarifications still??

They're probably working on that in tandem with the expansion.

Just been inform FFG have received a cease and desist.

Apparently the name New California has already been used by a mod company.

Edited by Vetnor

Ouch, how does that work then? Said company owns the tm/license to that name? And yet they do their stuff under the license from Bethesda? Seems a bit ironic...

Call it Nuevo California or something?

Edited by Verderer

I would imagine Bethesda owns the rights to New California, and that FFG got permission to use it from Bethesda before announcing the expansion. If there really is an issue and Bethesda doesn't have the final say, FFG could just add "republic" to the end and call it a day.