Need Spell Lists...

By thegrognard, in Realms of Terrinoth

I'm very disappointed that there is not a list of spells in Realms of Terrinoth like we have on the sample character sheets. A spell book with predefined and named spells is sorely lacking for Genesys.

I realize that spells are supposed to be made up on the fly but fantasy RPGs (like D&D) have set deep expectations for redefined spells...so much so that my players aren't interested in Terrinoth for this very reason (unless I can come up with a solution).

My question is, has anyone put together the equivalent of a spell book for the various kinds of magic in Terrinoth?

This might help:

These are some sheets to keep track of different combinations, so you don't just make things up every time. The ones from Drainsmith are particularly well formatted.

Edited by arMedBeta

I made a list of example spells for my custom setting. You're welcome to use any of them for help of inspiration.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qRv-c9Qx-JuIDVQZ6zCvkDanoBtDqlz3/view?usp=drivesdk

I do want to point out that these were designed with the intent to provide inspiration for my players to create their own spells, and not be a full list.

Edited by Noahjam325
13 hours ago, thegrognard said:

I'm very disappointed that there is not a list of spells in Realms of Terrinoth like we have on the sample character sheets. A spell book with predefined and named spells is sorely lacking for Genesys.

I realize that spells are supposed to be made up on the fly but fantasy RPGs (like D&D) have set deep expectations for redefined spells...so much so that my players aren't interested in Terrinoth for this very reason (unless I can come up with a solution).

My question is, has anyone put together the equivalent of a spell book for the various kinds of magic in Terrinoth?

Your players aren't terribly imaginative then imo. I always GM but I would F-ing back flip leap at the opportunity to play as a caster and be able to make up my own combinations and name them.

There isn't a spell list in Terrinoth, but there are "spells" sprinkled throughout the last third of the book in the bestiary/adversary stat blocks for magic using Rivals and Nemesis. Some of theme are the same but renamed, but for the most part just compiling those into a list would be good first start as well.

Z

Example spells are easy, but as the pirate said you should encourage the players with a spell casting character to come up with a list of the characters “most used spells” that truely fit the theme of the character. Then when they come up with more during play they add them to the list.

The reason I always recommend this is because only your players know who their characters are, what they do, how they do it, and why. Making spells can actually help flesh out the character in question a lot

So heres an example Orc Shaman list:

Fury of Galmorak (Signature Spell): Grug begins chanting in deep guttural cries, stirring himself into a rage. As his blood races and his face darken his nails grow long and sharp like those of the feline predators of his homelands. Those who face him tremble at the sight and grow to fear his wrath.

Augment + Haste + Primal Fury.

Dranurars Stomp: With raised arms Grug cries out to the spirit of earth from which his great ancestors arose, calling for the earth to rise up and crush his foes.

Attack + Impact + Blast + Range.

Spirit of Death: Grug points his finger and bellows one long howling word of his ancient tongue “Yarrakarnor!!!” which translates loosely to “death comes for you”. A bolt of unearthly green lighting leaps from the young Orks outstretched finger and smashes into the skull of his foe.

Attack + Deadly + Range

Mengurrs Spirit: For once Grug whispers, muttering a low dirge of grunts and growls. With hands raised grasping his his staff above his head he conjures forth one of the many Ork animal spirits to run loose amongst his foes. The wild animal spirit attacks the nearest living being, drawn by its life force, trying to consume its spirit.

Conjure + Medium Summon + Range

Edited by Richardbuxton