Test penalties and characteristics bonuses

By Brutis 2, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Couldn't find a simmilar topic on the forum so i apologize if there is one.

Do test penalties stack form different abilities? Example if the character is fatigued, under the influence of inflict pain power and lets say shaken cause of the failed fear test. Would that be -30 to all tests or only the highest penalty applies?

Another question is about characteristics bonuses. When you get penalties to all tests (eg. fatigue) are all of your characteristic bonuses considered to be 1 lower? There's an example in the core rulebook about poisoning and toughness tests penalty which reduced the effective damage absorption by 1, but a contradictory example with fatigue and running which seemed to have no impact on the speed.

Yes, all penalties are cumulative, unless they specifically state otherwise.

If I understand the RAW correctly, ALL bonuses and penalties stack, up to a maximum total bonus/penalty of +/- 60.

Hope that helps. happy.gif

Yes, enduring ability penalties usually do lower the ability bonuses.

Cifer said:

Yes, enduring ability penalties usually do lower the ability bonuses.

Toughness being the one major exception. Usually...

If a character has not slept in 40 hours and has been rather active then they almost certainly will be taking negative modifiers for Toughness tests regarding endurance. The same nap-deprived acolyte would suffer penalties to their (Agi-based) Dodge skill if they had any Fatigue points (very likely in this case) but would NOT suffer from a reduced Toughness for calculating damage or resisting weird weapon special-effects using some sort of "roll Toughness or die horribly" mechanic.

If you are not a Space Marine then you should probably sleep every few days or so. Seems like a good idea...

ZillaPrime said:

If you are not a Space Marine then you should probably sleep every few days or so. Seems like a good idea...

Or a Tech-Priest with a LOT of Las Packs to lick for that special sort of "pick me up". Granted, after about week 7 or so your sanity might begin to take a dip.

Anyway, all penalties and bonuses stack, and while they do affect most/any/all/whatever skill checks, they tend to not effect the base stats themselves as well as leaving any of the stat bonuses alone. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rules, so make sure to double check if any of the effects state otherwise.

Or a Tech-Priest with a LOT of Las Packs to lick for that special sort of "pick me up". Granted, after about week 7 or so your sanity might begin to take a dip.

That implies he had any to begin with, doesn't it?

Anyway, all penalties and bonuses stack, and while they do affect most/any/all/whatever skill checks, they tend to not effect the base stats themselves as well as leaving any of the stat bonuses alone. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rules, so make sure to double check if any of the effects state otherwise.

I refer you to the Core rules on page 183.

Where do you note penalties at? For example, someone from an Imperial world gets a -5 penalty on Forbidden Lore (Int) tests from Blessed Ignorance. Where is this penalty noted on the character sheet? Do I write it under Advanced Skills and put -5 in the Skilled column?

On 10/24/2019 at 2:02 PM, Mnbrightblade said:

Where do you note penalties at? For example, someone from an Imperial world gets a -5 penalty on Forbidden Lore (Int) tests from Blessed Ignorance. Where is this penalty noted on the character sheet? Do I write it under Advanced Skills and put -5 in the Skilled column?

You put it where you can, generally I note these things next to the skills themselves.