How have you managed/attempted to build community around this game?

By Mikael Hasselstein, in Star Wars: Rebellion

As the title asks:

How have you managed/attempted to build community around this game?

Given that this is not an easy game to set time aside for, what methods have you used?

For my part, I created a Facebook group - just as I did for Armada and Legion (despite not actually playing the latter), in the same mold as an X-Wing group already existed for my town (Portland, OR). However, unlike those others, the FB group has not really taken off. I attribute that to the fact that there isn't a tournament scene, and it gets less continual support from FFG with news and expansions. So, one reason I'm asking is to see if there are better ideas out there.

I haven't had a ton of luck.

I've played with:

My wife (maybe 3 games)

My best friend (3 games)

My brother (3 games)

My sister (1 game)

and another friend (1 game)

It's tough to get people to commit to the game, given its length.

That's my curse, though- I love long, epic games like this and War of the Ring. Even if they go 6+ hours, time flies for me with them.

I've taught and played a full game with about 6 different people. Two own it, although one couldn't understand the rules when they went through them. Three of the players love it as much as I do and I play with them every once in a while.

I play with family and friends when we are out for a long weekend.

I am constantly recruiting friends to gaming, I don't get lucky most of the time but I start showing off with Armada ( my favorite) and if they find it too complicated and want to play more classical boardgame style then I introduce Rebellion. No one can resist mini ISDs and mini Death Stars.

I have two friends who enjoy it as much as I do but would love to create a larger community or play in a tournament.

I bought it recently, really looking forward to playing it.

I insist on having everything painted though before my first game, just to maximise the experience (and to hook people!).

The most tedious minis to paint are all the stormtroopers (just because they are white, annoying to paint on).

Well, the other day I put out a call for a game at my place on the Rebellion Facebook group that I created at about initial launch time. Awesomely enough, it looks like I'm going to have 3 or 4 people over. (If 4, that means that I shall be superfluous, and will just have the opportunity to play host.

On 7/16/2018 at 12:20 AM, Gridash said:

The most tedious minis to paint are all the stormtroopers (just because they are white, annoying to paint on).

Ironically enough, those are the only ones that I've painted.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:03 PM, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Well, the other day I put out a call for a game at my place on the Rebellion Facebook group that I created at about initial launch time. Awesomely enough, it looks like I'm going to have 3 or 4 people over. (If 4, that means that I shall be superfluous, and will just have the opportunity to play host.

Ironically enough, those are the only ones that I've painted.

Could you share the link for the Facebook group if it’s public?

18 hours ago, player1397720 said:

Could you share the link for the Facebook group if it’s public?

Yes, I can, though it's a closed local group:

Rebellion Grand Moffs of Portland