Warsaw second challenge Tournament report

By Susanooo, in Runewars Battle Reports

As we are growing our community in Warsaw we had yet another tournament here and i will not stop with doing those cause i just love this game too much. From the initial 8 players 7 showed up (we had a starting time change right before a tournament so one gut form another city unfortunalety didnt make it.) Factions were represented as follows: 3 Waiqar Undead Legion players, 2 Mighty Daqan Lords players and 2 Defenders of the Amhylin forest Latari players.

Prices were form challenge kit:

sGPVrdR.jpg

I got first round bye so i had time to watch what everybody is playing and perform a duties of the judge (as by now i have biggest knowledge of the rules). First round was Bounty on Battle lines

eymWEYA.jpg

Latari (Antoni) vs Waiqar (Michał) battle

XOeDW8Y.jpg

Konrad (our new local player) vs Artur (our previous champion) Game came down to 8 point diffrence on Artur's Favour (soo **** close)

qysyc3I.jpg

Waiqar (Adam) vs Daqan (Jakub D). Deathcaller disco. Ardus show up the claws here denying is uselessness everybodys talking about by:

itSWrGR.jpg

Literally blighting away any dice the cavalry could ever think about and cutting them to pieces!

Result after first round went like this:

fI4clWF.jpg

On the next round i was matched with Artur with his Kari thorne list that won previous tournament and i had nightmares about. We played Votile runes on that weird deplyment with 1 range deep deployment zone all acros the table. As for the game itself: Fortunately my archers managed to kill his elves , deathcaller wounded one golem before was shot down by kari herself but my death knight managed to charge his second unit of golems (2 of them there) and reanimates finished the job. Also they killed off hawkthorne and maro reanimated the reanimates back to 2 tray unit (only carrion was left there). so i've managed to win.

Pjz5HNj.jpg

Here is this monstrosity of a list that everybody was trying to beat.

Here are the results after second round:

3gVYy8j.jpg

After Antoni win with Adam we were matched on table one (unfortunately we didnt stream it but next time we might ;) ) but before third round we had a painting contest that was won by Konrad with his beutifully painted Deepwood archers inspired by warcraft 3 night elves:

2AdWkEs.jpg

He also had scion in the back but unfortunately i dont have the whole picture of that unit.

Round 3 was break their defences on carefull approach and i already love that deployment zone, because it forces you to use all ot the table area not just one side of it like some games usually are played. Here my opponent make a terrible mistake of being passiveand allowing my units to take superior positions. Maro shot down Maegan but before that she managed to kill deathcaller to ruin my combo but reanimates were too strong to beat for 4 tray lennox unit with moment of inspiration. Also they were in range of dimorran fissurethyat also dealt damage to them.

QH8Z6J4.jpg

Round 3 table one (2 top places after round 2)

In the meantime on another side my deathknights charded his archers (in one round they did 3 then 2 move to charge on the next one) but my archers were chopped down by Aliana (but she died also due to maro shooting and archers retailating). That big block of deepwood archers ried to run away from death knights but in shifting away they also allowed death knights to enter the deployment zone in another charge and gaining extra points at the end. (You dont run away from death!) After that decisive win (2 tray archers were left so mov was hevily on my side) i managed to win whole tournament and claim the champion title :D

Final Results:

8FpoTuU.jpg

And now for the thing everybody clicked here THE LISTS:

Mine (Jakub Jarmuła on score table)

wpRqBRH.jpg

198/200

Reanimates [50] 3x3
Deathcaller [5]
Support Carrion Lancer [6]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 63

Reanimate Archers [45] 3x2
Tempered Steel [3]
Raven-Standard Bearer [3]
Close Quarters Targeting [3]
Total Unit Cost: 54

Death Knights [24] 2x1
Obcasiums Gauntlet [5]
Total Unit Cost: 29

Ankaur Maro [40] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]
Violent Forces [6]
Total Unit Cost: 52

Artur Szyndler List (second place, photo was poster earlier)

199/200

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17

Rune Golems [28] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 28

Kari Wraithstalker [32] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]
Total Unit Cost: 38

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 34

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Wind Rune [6]
Metered March [2]
Total Unit Cost: 38

Antoni Starzyński List (Latari third place)

jS9dcAx.jpg

194/200 (also new player in our community)

Leonx Riders [30] 2x2
Raven Tabards [2]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 37

Aliana of Summersong [33] 1x1
Packleaders Spear [8]
Ambush Predator [3]

Maegan Cyndewin [36] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]
Arcane Mastery [2]

Deepwood Archers [42] 3x2
Blackthorn Assassin [7]
Wind Rune [6]
Support Aymhelin Scion [4]
Rallying Starling [4]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Storm Sorceress [4]
Total Unit Cost: 69

If you want i will post other 4 lists in order of places they have taken :D

What do you think about this tournament summary?

Excellent report! Wow, three games makes for a long day. Congratulations on the win!

Tell me your thoughts on the effectiveness of Ankaur Maro as his own cavalry unit? I really like him, and I got defeated by him in my tournament. How do you deploy him? What do you have to watch out for?

Firstly, i was using him as sole regen hero. It always didnt went well becuase when he was wounded he was an easy pray for enemy. Then ive tryied to run him with heartseekerto regenerate trays and stay away from harm = behind my units. Once it did wonders when my skeletons were fighting close combat units but against ranged he didnt have range to deal anything so he went down staring there and regenerating trays. For 56 points. So then ive started playing him with fortunas dice and changed my approach compleetly: Screw early regenerate, let him stay NEARBY units, slightly back and on the side and that made wonders. as you can see on my third game he is positioned slightly behind archers (0,5-1 tray away from the front) and between my both units. This way he had great range, his late shot could target units comming for my skeletons and when i eliminated the major threat to him ive used regenerate to ressurect trays that have already died to regain some points. So to sum it up: Position is EXTREEMLTY important, resist temptarion to ressurect early and do it later when he is SAFE, use his late attack to fire at enemies that might COME TO HIM with their earlier moves. Dont fight with archers with him, he wont survive that. Use him against melee heroes or to finish of targets of opportunity. In one of my games he almost ONE SHOTTED Maegan with single stable rune with one die (protected keyword saved her for one round). Keep in mind he is hard to use, i would say he's somewhat high risk- high reward.

And as for the tournament we played from 11:30 to 16:40. Pretty decent time as we were playing that 75 minute time limit.

I hope my english wasn't full of mistakes (its not my first language :) )

Edited by Warlordus