If able - how important is it?

By NightmareSmith, in Rules Questions

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask about some resolutions.

Cards like Marched to the Wall have 'if able' in their text. What about Forced March or Even-handed Justice? Me and couple of guys play melee format and I'm curious what happens, when one (or more) of the players doesn't have a character with military icon (Forced) or a character at all (Justice). Can I play Justice when I don't have anything to kneel on my side? Can I resolve the first (or second) sentence of Forced March, when one of the players is out of characters with military?

What do you think?

Even Handed Justice requires a character from each player, because those characters are targets of the effect (the verb "choose" indicates it).

For Forced March, you can resolve the first effect if at least 1 opponent has a character that can be affected by the plot (standing, military icon, not immune), but the "then" part requires the first effect to be fully successful (ie 1 character from each opponent) to resolve.

Thanks for the answer.

One more thing. 'Then' part of Forced March can be resolved only once, right?

It's part of the effect you repeat, so you can resolve it as long as each opponent has just knelt a character for the first part and you have a character to kneel.