Anyone else going to run it?

By JinFaram, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

I've seen that many of you are either getting it for collector value or think it is a waste of money. My copy arrives tomorrow and if I can find gamers I'm going to try and run it. Does anyone else plan on running it?

My group is going to try it once some of our members kids go back to school.

Already started running an adventure with my kids “A Sith called Wanda”. Using the kids as test dummies as I write and rewrite it to run as a proper one shot later this year.

The physical books are great for getting new people who may be interested hooked rather than pointing at PDFs

I've run an adventure of it at the last two Just A Game Con s I've attended. Once for 2 players, then, last one, twice for 5+.

Yes, 1st ed. (I prefer 2nd, but first is very playable for me. I dislike 2nd revised.)

Yeah, I have run it a few times last year, and will continue to do so in the future. It’s my go-to SW RPG. I obviously already have copies, but I ideally want copies for all players at the table. Ideally just the rulebook, but it doesn’t seem like there will be a way to buy it by itself. I usually try to game with around 7 players not including myself, so, passing one rulebook around the table is a real drag.

Picked up my copies today from my FLGS. Yes, I will probably use the books some as reference material. We use the later 2nd Edition Revised, Expanded, Updated rules for our game play and find that it is yet to be surpassed as an RPG for Star Wars.

Edited by Edsel62

I will probably get a copy for a collectible. I have been thinking about trying to see if my sons would be interested in playing. If I did, I would probably use the 2nd Edition, Revised, Expanded, Updated rules.

I will try to get my group interested. Wish me luck!

You will have to forgive my RPG ignorance as FFG's Star Wars RPG is the only system I'm familiar with. My cousin is wanting to teach me D&D 5e so I know a little about that. How does this system work?

Roll a boatload of d6s and try to beat a difficulty number. Overall, it's a fairly easy system compared to what's popular these days.

Cool. So when I get it I will try to run it.

It is quick and easy to run. However there is a reason that there was a 2nd Edition and a 2nd Edition Revised. There were things easily broken once characters became very experienced, the latter editions did a lot to remedy those situations. Still for a one-shot or a short campaign the old 1st edition rules should work fine.

Most likely my games will be short. If they start to run long I will either give fewer skills points or limit skill improvement to one pip between adventures. I have about a page of potential house rules. 2nd Edition adds a lot of good stuff but it looks like it could get complicated.

1 hour ago, HistoryGuy said:

You will have to forgive my RPG ignorance as FFG's Star Wars RPG is the only system I'm familiar with. My cousin is wanting to teach me D&D 5e so I know a little about that. How does this system work?

Well. I'm glad you asked...

There are 6 Stats and then there are skills off those stats, Example: Dexterity might be 3d6, all skills off DEX roll 3d6 (Blasters, Dodge, Melee, etc.) Character creation allows you to spread some dice across all your skills (you might add 2dice to Blasters, and one for Dodge), now you have 5d6 For shooting with Blasters and 4d6 as Dodge. To shoot someone, there is a Difficulty Number (the first RPG to use such a system, from memory)Point Blank = DC5, Short Range = DC10, Medium = DC15, long DC20, Extra Long = DC25, Are You Freaking kidding!!! = DC30. Even if a Blaster has a 50m range, there's always a chance to hit beyond that.

Anyhoo! Roll the Blaster skill (5d6) and compare to the Range. If the target is Short Range, the roll must be higher than DC10. You might be thinking... 5d6 to roll 10+? If you choose to make a second or even third attack (or choose different targets), you begin to remove the overall number of dice you roll. If you hit (5d6, the average result is about 18), each Blaster has a Damage Value, 4d6 is a standard Blaster, 5d6 is a Heavy Blaster (Han's Blaster), 3d6 is like a Holdout Blaster.

You roll the Damage, and the target rolls their Strength. It's not that easy to 'kill' someone, but lots of people get knocked out and pushed around. The 4d6 blaster vs a 3d6 Strength check, will mean on average (14 vs 11) the opponent is in a state called Wounded, the 3d6 Holdout Blaster vs 5d6 (the Target is a Wookiee), then the result will more than likely be a Stun result and knocked to the ground for a round.

It's a great, easy, fun system. It can have a couple of mods to make it 'more real' but probably less Star Wars; and all you need is a bunch of D6.

I certainly plan to.

Really, all that needs doing is for FFG to post some pdfs of character sheets, templates and maybe charts and tables on the support section.

I hope to run it. I ran Star Wars d6 the prior year at the local game store - little interest, but the few players that played had a blast.

You really don't even need to wait for such things. Just go old school like in 87 - write off your characters onto notebook paper and refer to the charts and tables at the back of the book as needed. Really, I only ever got the GM screen for the adventure.

Just now, Scott Bot said:

You really don't even need to wait for such things. Just go old school like in 87 - write off your characters onto notebook paper and refer to the charts and tables at the back of the book as needed. Really, I only ever got the GM screen for the adventure.

On 7/5/2018 at 7:19 PM, Voltron64 said:

I certainly plan to.

Really, all that needs doing is for FFG to post some pdfs of character sheets, templates and maybe charts and tables on the support section.

On 7/8/2018 at 5:30 PM, Scott Bot said:

In 1987. I made my own screen - by photocopying the charts, then gluing them into manilla file folders, and trimming them with the paper cutter.

I always just looked them up as needed. don't remember if that was the first RPG I had seen that collected the charts at the back of the book like that, but it sure was helpful in its time. Love how that's become a standard since!

On 7/5/2018 at 12:59 AM, JinFaram said:

I've seen that many of you are either getting it for collector value or think it is a waste of money. My copy arrives tomorrow and if I can find gamers I'm going to try and run it. Does anyone else plan on running it?

I bought my copies due to being a Star Wars fan, and a Roleplayer, I bought multiple copies because I will use one, keep one, and gift one,

i’ll be using this with the companion,

What is with Yoda and the 18D in survival?? (page 137 of the Sourcebook)

45 minutes ago, Rithuan said:

What is with Yoda and the 18D in survival?? (page 137 of the Sourcebook)

It was 8D in the original print of the book.

Yeah, the typos are interesting ...

On page 96 of the 30th Anniversary Sourcebook, it lists lightsaber damage as “50” yet the original Sourcebook had the correct value of “5D.”

Regarding Yoda, “Survival” was also spelled correctly in the original Sourcebook.

Edited by BanthaPoodoo72

Yes, I’ll probably be running it soon for my gaming group. Haven’t played 1st Edition in well over 20 years, and I had forgotten how streamlined the system was before 2nd Edition started introducing more crunch and “optional” rules.