Wraiths

By willrum, in Runewars Rules Questions

wraiths can- during a march or shift you may ignore any number of units and terrain.

Lets say my wraiths are engaged with an enemy unit and i want to get away. Can i dial up a march and go through them or do i still need to shift to disengage to get away?

1 hour ago, willrum said:

wraiths can- during a march or shift you may ignore any number of units and terrain.

Lets say my wraiths are engaged with an enemy unit and i want to get away. Can i dial up a march and go through them or do i still need to shift to disengage to get away?

Rules Reference 47.2 "A unit that is engaged with an enemy unit cannot perform a march action. If it reveals a march action, the action is
canceled."

So it looks like, a unit of Wraiths engaged with an enemy will still have to shift to disengage. Sadly.

1 hour ago, Parakitor said:

Rules Reference 47.2 "A unit that is engaged with an enemy unit cannot perform a march action. If it reveals a march action, the action is
canceled."

So it looks like, a unit of Wraiths engaged with an enemy will still have to shift to disengage. Sadly.

Ok. I thought maybe unit card rules trumped that rule. Or maybe im not fully understanding the "engaged" state.

That would have been a little bonkers! haha

Well, I think there is room for the developers to say, "Wait! We intended them to be able to march while engaged!" I mean, if you ignore any number of units, then you could reason that you aren't considered to be engaged.

But as written, if they're engaged, the march is canceled as soon as it is revealed, which means there is no march action for Wraiths to use their ability of "during a march, you may ignore any number of units and terrain."

EDIT : One more HUGE annoyance. In section 83 on Timing, the Rules Reference outlines the terms "when," while," "before," and, "after." However, the Wraiths' ability doesn't use any of those terms - it uses the term "during." What does that mean ???

Edited by Parakitor
8 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

EDIT : One more HUGE annoyance. In section 83 on Timing, the Rules Reference outlines the terms "when," while," "before," and, "after." However, the Wraiths' ability doesn't use any of those terms - it uses the term "during." What does that mean ???

I am thinking during implies the march must be able to trigger, so if engaged, you can't march and therefore there is no 'during' to trigger the wraiths ability.

Dang. all very good points. Thanks

Given their relatively low cost, I don't think you're going to get easy disengages that way.

And even if you could, it would take until initiative six, if you were facing your opponent, to be able to get enough distance to get clear of him, and that's only if he's 1 tray deep. (Even if you did a turn or wheel, that's not enough distance, I don't think.)

Edited by Xelto
31 minutes ago, Xelto said:

Given their relatively low cost, I don't think you're going to get easy disengages that way.

And even if you could, it would take until initiative six, if you were facing your opponent, to be able to get enough distance to get clear of him, and that's only if he's 1 tray deep. (Even if you did a turn or wheel, that's not enough distance, I don't think.)

Wheel 2 will get you clear. With raven tabards and trumpets you can do it at init 3.

17 minutes ago, QuickWhit said:

Wheel 2 will get you clear. With raven tabards and trumpets you can do it at init 3.

In order to get tabards you would have to have a 2x2 configuration. I suppose you could still pull it off if you had lost trays, but usually you'll be at (gasp!) initiative 4.

Either way, these units are fairly cheap. I doubt they're going to be allowed to disengage without using the shift command.

40 minutes ago, Xelto said:

In order to get tabards you would have to have a 2x2 configuration. I suppose you could still pull it off if you had lost trays, but usually you'll be at (gasp!) initiative 4.

Either way, these units are fairly cheap. I doubt they're going to be allowed to disengage without using the shift command.

Ardus baby!

20 minutes ago, Xelto said:

I've been running the 3x1 with Ardus, RT, and trumpets. It's by far the best use I've found for host of crows so far. See this thread for just some of the things this unit can do:

They would be very broken if they could disengage with a march.