Horrific Journeys

By Duciris, in Mansions of Madness

New expansion announced: Horrific Journeys .

mad27_box_left.png

Playable Characters:

• Agnes Baker
  • Jim Culver
  • Silas Marsh
  • Trish Scarborough

3 New Scenarios.

Nice! Notice the cruiser in the background! I'd love if there was a scenario aboard a ship.
Edit: the tiles disclose as much! YAY!!!

Also pleased to see that one of the scenarios will place hidden adversaries among the player right from the start. Many games do this, but i'm looking forward to play it inside MoM 2ed specifically. This seems to be just the right amount. I'm hoping for a situation where you won't even know if there is an adversary among you, but i'll be happy whichever.

Edited by Aelitafrommars
5 minutes ago, Aelitafrommars said:

Nice! Notice the cruiser in the background! I'd love if there was a scenario aboard a ship.
Edit: the tiles disclose as much! YAY!!!

And you can see the stern of a ship on one of the tiles!

mad27_sample.png

They didn't give us so much as a quarter as to when to expect this. Arkham Nights is almost exactly 4 months away. After the fiasco last year (they announced that it would be available for early purchase at Arkham Nights 2017, but it was delayed and thus, was not; they also offered a cardboard box as loot, but was not - it was sent to people's physical address later, so that dismay was lessened), do we think that Arkham Nights 2018 is a reasonable guess?

Also, where is Daisy Walker!?! I so wish to play as her across all of the games, plus use her mini from MoM in AH:LCG.

3 minutes ago, Duciris said:

And you can see the stern of a ship on one of the tiles!

They didn't give us so much as a quarter as to when to expect this. Arkham Nights is almost exactly 4 months away. After the fiasco last year (they announced that it would be available for early purchase at Arkham Nights 2017, but it was delayed and thus, was not; they also offered a cardboard box as loot, but was not - it was sent to people's physical address later, so that dismay was lessened), do we think that Arkham Nights 2018 is a reasonable guess?

Seems highly likely that they'll at least have it there to preview/play. I'm not sure they'll have it for sale, though.

And now, a couple of DLCs to keep us busy while waiting for the release would be perfect

Haha, I'm super excited for the Silas miniature with his washboard abs.

But, really, happy about the investigator selections. Agnes looks like a force to be reckoned with, and Trish has some great physical stats.

I'm not particularly looking forward to the deep one hybrid mechanic. I think actions are so restricted in MoM that I'm not entirely certain it'll be fun to have the mythos AND fellow investigators working against you. I wonder if there are going to be new rules for attacking other investigators? It's going to be real annoying if you just get into pushing battles where you end up pushing each other back and forth through fires. -_-

I was really hoping for a Sefina mini though.

Edited by Soakman

Great news.

How many scenarios will that give us in total?

35 minutes ago, ellhaynes said:

Great news.

How many scenarios will that give us in total?

There are 15 now, so 18. 2 (that we have already) are $5 DLCs & 2 require MoM 1e or the tile & monster expansions.

Edited by Duciris
2 hours ago, Soakman said:

I'm not particularly looking forward to the deep one hybrid mechanic. I think actions are so restricted in MoM that I'm not entirely certain it'll be fun to have the mythos AND fellow investigators working against you. I wonder if there are going to be new rules for attacking other investigators? It's going to be real annoying if you just get into pushing battles where you end up pushing each other back and forth through fires. -_-

I'm guessing (from the deep one card previewed and from the nature of the game itself) that the conflict will continue to be more indirect. I doubt the goals will be as direct as "kill the other investigators" and will be more like things you can get away with by "accidentally" playing sub-optimally, or they'll (hopefully) go the Dead of Winter route where the humans will have goals to fulfill that made lead them to do weird things, so everyone suspects everyone else.

36 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

I'm guessing (from the deep one card previewed and from the nature of the game itself) that the conflict will continue to be more indirect. I doubt the goals will be as direct as "kill the other investigators" and will be more like things you can get away with by "accidentally" playing sub-optimally, or they'll (hopefully) go the Dead of Winter route where the humans will have goals to fulfill that made lead them to do weird things, so everyone suspects everyone else.

I like the Dead of Winter reference, but that game was developed with the notion of a potential conflict of interests at the heart of the game. I find it hard to believe that if a fellow investigator decides to not pull his weight by playing sub-optimally, that the other investigators could really do anything about it at all. The game balances itself by the number of players (limiting numbers of turns before major scenario progressions, requiring more checks on trait tests, higher enemy hp), so in the case that someone even just decides they are going to stand in one spot for the rest of the scenario... would the other players even be able to win? It seems like the app is going to have to know exactly how many players are deep one hybrids at the very beginning of the game in order to balance appropriately. It feels like there's going to be some major heavy-lifting for the app, or deep one hybrids are going to need for investigators to succeed, or there needs to be a mechanic to 'exile' a traitor or some such similar mechanic.

I'm curious, but skeptical. I'd like to be proven wrong though.

Edited by Soakman

I love new content. But since I play solo for 95% of the time, I don’t like the hidden traitor aspect. I found it already game breaking when I played such a hidden system two times in Dead of Winter with a group of 5. All I could think was “meh” and I have no interest in playing Dead of Winter ever again.

I really don’t think this system has any place in Lovecraft cooperation games. It is US against all odds.

I hope you can ignore this hidden system and that it doesn’t hamper play balance when you ignore it OR it would certainly put an immediate stop on purchasing new expansions.

Silly by the designers that they introduce hidden mechanics in a game that is often played with just one or two people.

Edited by MMOfan
6 hours ago, MMOfan said:

I love new content. But since I play solo for 95% of the time, I don’t like the hidden traitor aspect. I found it already game breaking when I played such a hidden system two times in Dead of Winter with a group of 5. All I could think was “meh” and I have no interest in playing Dead of Winter ever again.

I really don’t think this system has any place in Lovecraft cooperation games. It is US against all odds.

I hope you can ignore this hidden system and that it doesn’t hamper play balance when you ignore it OR it would certainly put an immediate stop on purchasing new expansions.

Silly by the designers that they introduce hidden mechanics in a game that is often played with just one or two people.

I don't think there will be an option to play that particular scenario without a hidden traitor by the sound of it (unless you play completely solo with one investigator?).

It sound like you just are not a fan of competitive elements at all, which is completely understandable, but I do know there has been a clamor from some people to do this. I've even heard some fans trying to make a 'hidden cultist' variant for Eldritch Horror (which is very not suited to that game). But so far, FFG hasn't bitten at that idea.

My issue, however, is not that they're including a competitive scenario (after all it's just one scenario), but rather that I'm not sure the game is suited to it without some very complicated alterations to balancing. And since the game is app-run, it's going to be very difficult to tell what they actually did to balance it out.

I guess we'll find out... (or I will at any rate)

Edited by Soakman

it seemed the deep one hybrid cards had player counts. So my guess is the chance is weighted depending on number of players. Probably 0 if solo. My hunch is deciding which ones are deep one hybrids also counts for NPC:s, as per mediated via the app. Players being able to be one is probably to give the base premise some extra edge.

Just a guess though.

3 hours ago, Aelitafrommars said:

it seemed the deep one hybrid cards had player counts. So my guess is the chance is weighted depending on number of players. Probably 0 if solo. My hunch is deciding which ones are deep one hybrids also counts for NPC:s, as per mediated via the app. Players being able to be one is probably to give the base premise some extra edge.

Just a guess though.

It was explicitly stated to be so in the article:

When playing Hidden Depths with three or more investigators, you each receive an agenda card that you must keep secret from the rest of the team.

I suppose if you're playing with 3+ players & don't want to use the agendas, then you just don't use those cards. The option is yours.

I normally only play 2 player, so I won't be able to use them anyway.

I'm not the kind to enjoy hidden traitor aspects, but I'm sure I can find something to like about this one. I like getting Trish as an investigator, but I'm still waiting for my Roland, Tony, and Lola.

2 hours ago, Matt620 said:

I'm not the kind to enjoy hidden traitor aspects, but I'm sure I can find something to like about this one. I like getting Trish as an investigator, but I'm still waiting for my Roland, Tony, and Lola.

There's three new scenarios, and by what the article says, only the one includes the betrayer mechanic. I think it's awesome that they try to release scenarios with different mechanics. It's like how some of the existing ones focus on puzzles more and others character interaction and others combat.... If you don't like a mechanic you don't need to play the scenarios but there's plenty of others still. Also it will include new characters and items and other fun stuff that will come up in other scenarios.

Wow what lovely news to hear about this, right out of the blue. Maybe the next options will be small towns and county side locations and other that maybe one set in Africa or another exotica location ?

31 minutes ago, soulman said:

Wow what lovely news to hear about this, right out of the blue. Maybe the next options will be small towns and county side locations and other that maybe one set in Africa or another exotica location ?

I suppose its weird for a game called "MANSIONS of Madness" that many of the scenarios don't play in mansions... Hehe. But now that you've said it, I so badly want a scenario set on an African safari!

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:19 AM, neosmagus said:

I suppose its weird for a game called "MANSIONS of Madness" that many of the scenarios don't play in mansions... Hehe. But now that you've said it, I so badly want a scenario set on an African safari!

The original game was much more mansion-based.

And what's with all of the conversation focused on 'different locations' and 'hidden traitors'? One of these missions is on a freaking Zeppelin! That's the headline here! :D

Im 90% sure im going to have the same problem with the deep one cards as i do the traitor cards.

I dont care about having traitor cards in the game if theres ways to deal with the situation once they have revealed themselves. Currently in the game however, theres absolutely no way to stop someone once u have suspicion. They just freely do whatever they want and u have to just watch them ruin the game. Thats really, really lame.

1 hour ago, PinkTaco said:

Im 90% sure im going to have the same problem with the deep one cards as i do the traitor cards.

I dont care about having traitor cards in the game if theres ways to deal with the situation once they have revealed themselves. Currently in the game however, theres absolutely no way to stop someone once u have suspicion. They just freely do whatever they want and u have to just watch them ruin the game. Thats really, really lame.

Especially because even if you did find a way to off them (like pushing them repeatedly through fire).... You lose 1 turn later anyway. -_-

7 hours ago, Soakman said:

Especially because even if you did find a way to off them (like pushing them repeatedly through fire).... You lose 1 turn later anyway. -_-

There will likely be scenario specific rules in play that will apply to this.

I got MoM for free (legally for free mind you) and I want an expansion this one has my favorite gator from the LCG but 60$??? That's as much as a brand new game o.O

HJ is on presale at Miniatures Market.