First Ever 800 Game Report

By Cornwolf, in Battle Reports

Here we go, kind of my second report but my first full one. This past weekend I went to my first ever table top war game event. I went in a bit blind having only played the taster game which is around 500 points. I have been watching a few videos so knew roughly what to do. The proceedings for the games was 3 x 2 hour games. I am sorry if I can't remember the types of games but you will get me as I explain them.

My army:

Since the game was released I decided to go Rebels, a lot of people where going imperial that I know so why not. I have 4 x core troops with Z-6, 2 x RT-RT's with Rotatory Blaster, 1 x fleet troopers with Scatter gun targeting scopes and concision grenades, Luke with force reflexes and force push, Leia with Commanding Presence, enviro gear and Esteemed Leader

Round 1

So here we go first ever game, no idea what I was doing however my opponent was understanding. The objective was 5 tokens around the board with 2 we places each and one in the middle placed by the card, clear conditions and rapid reinforcements, finally the starting zones where opposite corners. Well this was different, if I am honest, I didn't do too bad. I completely underestimated the power of the At-St and that people play it too. I managed to hold my own for a fair few rounds with a couple objective tokens and then my opponent then dived in and beat me 3-1 for the tokens. I learnt a lot about the game and my cards and lets be fair going into the tournament I was expecting it to be a white wash.

Round 2

Against another imperial opponent and with an At-St. This time we where on the opposite ends of the table the shorted sides. The objectives was 3 tokens in the middle of the board where only troops can take these. The conditions was where you had to be touching cover to remove suppression. The game started with us both having an objective token turn 1 because we were both so close to them. Then the fight was on for the middle token. I lost a few troops here and there but I was more aggressive this round. I managed to sneak Luke up the side while flanking with other troops and he jumped in and took out both troops that where holding the other objective, I had a command card active which allowed me another move with Luke, bye bye troops :) The next move it was all or nothing because I had no troops to take the other objective so I pulled the command card for Leia that gives you 3 shots at range 4, I had kept her at the back of the board for this reason, I got damage on the remaining units as well as a nice heap of suppression. He took a move to try and kill my troops which he got unlucky rolls and I got very good rolls the back to Luke to move up the board and force push his troops back off the objective. This resulting in a draw because I missed 1 flame trooper on an objective so we had one each. Great match.

Round 3

Rebel vs Rebel, this was going to be an interesting battle because I had been drawn against my mate. We had the card again where had 5 objectives, the layout was the L same in the corners and clear conditions, game on! This was very interesting because we had both learnt a lot from battling other people and both pretty aggressive. We both made a move to an objective but I used the standby feature which caught him out which didn't help me much against an AT-RT but the whole game was us chasing each others AT-RT's however mine had the edge due to my mate rocking the flame thrower so I just kept my distance. I managed to kill his Luke and take a few other tokens from him by sneaking around corners to him. The game ended and I was up 3-1 on tokens. I win my first ever match :)

Wrap Up

In wrap up and had an awesome time and my local store did an outstanding job in organising the first Legion tournament and would you believe it? I can 3rd over all the table top gods where on my side, so I walked away with a few pro mo cards, a coin and store credit, bonus. My mate won best painted unit too which was awesome. Not bad for a pair of noobs. A few things I learnt was to be more aggressive when playing but more than that know your cards and what you are playing, it saves a lot of time moving around the table all the time but also means you wont miss something. I just need to know how to take out an AT-ST should I come up against them again.

good right up, however the only unit that can take on an AT-ST in your list is Luke, if you can engage it the same round that you pop Son of Skywalker then you have a good chance of killing it.

Or just ignore it and wipe other things, only attacking it if you have an opportunity.

It's a rare thing for an art to pay itself back since it has no surge on the attack and unless you kill it, firepower thrown at it will be a waste most of the time

Edited by Deuzerre

From what I have read, it is often best to just ignore a AT-ST, where the AT-ST needs to be aggressive to try not to be ignored. Just theory, actual results may not reflect my opinion.

So some of the most competitive rebel lists have 2 laser canon at-rts instead of rotary at-rt because its one of the only sources of impact right now for rebels. So how you take out the at-st quickly is pretty easy actually. Your rebel list has 9 activations and any imperial list with an at-st will at most have 8. So killing an at-st is pretty easy. Just make a plan to keep your at-rts out of range of the at-st so it cant move and shoot you but close enough you can move and shoot the at-st.

1) play a high pip card so u go second and issue orders to 2 units and place them on the at-rts.

2) have the at-rts both activate last. So going second in the turn and having more activations will allow you to activate the at-rts both in a row.

3) so move both the at-rts into range and fire at the at-st.

4) then next turn play a pip card to go first and issue orders to the at-rts again but have them both go first and aim and fire at the at-st.

If your lucky and your opponent doesnt activate there at-st first on that next round after your initial attack on it, you could have 4 laser attacks on it in a row.

Edited by Gun4hire

Thanks for all the advice guys. Like I said I am very new to all of this but I am getting the hang of it pretty quickly.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day!

On 6/29/2018 at 7:20 AM, Deuzerre said:

It's   a  rare thing for an art to pay itself back since it has no sur  ge on the attack an  d unless  you kill it, firepower thrown at it will be a waste most of t  he ti  m  e

I agree that the best thing to do with an ATST may well be to accept that you can’t kill at and therefore you shouldn’t waste time shooting at it. But I think the “pay for itself” calculations are really oversimplified. An ATST on the board commands a lot of attention from your opponent - even in terms of just protecting his units. So even if the thing doesn’t fire a shot it may well be providing great value for your strategy.

I run the AT-ST a lot and I gotta say its definitely worth its points as long you position it correctly. In my opinion the best weapons set-up is Light Blaster cannon and Mortar. The light blaster boosts your damage at range 1-3 and the mortar lets you add suppressive to range 4 attacks. In addition the mortar gives you some good counterplay against special forces snipers. You can also use it to surprise panic troopers that stray too far from their commander. I've used it to panic troopers off the board round 1 against unwary opponents.

As far as positioning goes I will typically plop it down on a firing lane or close to an objective and just sit and Aim+Shoot at anything that dares approach