Necklace of Girion and "cannot have attachments" cards

By donkler, in Rules questions & answers

I was sitting down to build a deck for the first Rhovanian quest when I immediately ran into a question. What happens if I play Necklace of Girion and it finds a Goblin Troop for its guarded effect? Is there a distinction between a card being an attachment vs being attached? Granted Necklace of Girion is also an "attachment" card, but it is not being attached in a conventional way. I feel like the intent is that the necklace attaches to the goblins, but I am not sure. The word "Cannot" is always supposed to be absolute. Have I missed a clarification in the Guarded keyword player card rules?

Hmm. That's an interesting conundrum and it has me stumped! You might want to submit a rules query. I assume you simply discard more cards until you get an eligible enemy.

4 minutes ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Hmm. That's an interesting conundrum and it has me stumped! You might want to submit a rules query. I assume you simply discard more cards until you get an eligible enemy.

I went ahead and submitted a question to FFG just to be sure. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious since this seems like it would be a fairly common interaction between cards included in the same set.

Somewhat similarly, what if the encounter card is Immune to Player Card Effects? When does that text apply?

The guarded keyword cannot even decide whether it attaches the objective to the guard or the guard to the objective, so who knows what should happen.

Edited by NathanH

I read that as the Goblin Troop are guarding the Necklace... not wearing it.

You're not playing the Necklace as an attachment until you play it as an attachment . Until you get the guard out of the way, you don't get to play it.

Caveat, I don't have the card, or that set, so I'm purely guessing :)

Edited by icabod

I also asked a followup question about Valour of the North and if that works on enemies that are guarding the necklace card since it is attached and an attachment.

1 hour ago, donkler said:

I also asked a followup question about Valour of the North and if that works on enemies that are guarding the necklace card since it is attached and an attachment.

Yes, it works.

I heard back from Caleb! His response is below:

Since the Goblin Troop cannot have player card attachments, you would need to continue discarding from the encounter deck until you discard an eligible enemy or location.
I hope you’re enjoying The Wilds of Rhovanion!
Cheers,
Caleb

So, not what I expected, but I think it makes total sense. That makes this card really good for certain quests that have nasty enemies that can't have player attachments like Ships, Mumak, Nazgul, Huorns etc.

Huh, shows what I know.

I guess the word "attach" works both ways, in that case, as the Guarded keyword states that you attach the card from the encounter deck to the objective. But looking at the card, it's not an objective, so I don't quite get how that fits in.

The description of Guarded (X) in the Wilds of Rhovanion rules is quite clear that Guarded (X) cards are attached to the guard. The original rulebook's description of Guarded is quite clear that the guard is attached to the Guarded card. The Rules Reference description of Guarded switches between the two interpretations on a whim. It's all rather confusing.

Edited by NathanH
On 6/26/2018 at 2:39 PM, donkler said:

T hat makes this card really good for certain quests that have nasty enemies that can't have player attachments like Ships, Mumak, Nazgul, Huorns etc.

This is thread is a little old now, but the first scenario of the Gray Havens (I haven't played any of the others of this cycle so maybe this isnt exclusive) ONLY has ship enemies that cannot have attachments. Thus, Sting is free and, once you empty the encounter deck, is unguarded.

I have a question regarding something similar to this topic.

Guarded attachments, namely, player card guarded attachments, count as attachments for the sake of targets, correct? What I mean is if you play a guarded card and it is attached to a location, many of the Woodmen effects trigger? You can play "South Away!" Or quest without exhausting Haldan, right?

4 hours ago, player3351457 said:

I have a question regarding something similar to this topic.

Guarded attachments, namely, player card guarded attachments, count as attachments for the sake of targets, correct? What I mean is if you play a guarded card and it is attached to a location, many of the Woodmen effects trigger? You can play "South Away!" Or quest without exhausting Haldan, right?

Correct