MMOs we play

By vermillian2, in UFS Off Topic

OK just so a list is out there so I can play with ya'll.

Warhammer Online ; Anyone playing it? I am. Order on Ungrim server, but I'll join another and fight with ya against other players. Order or Destruction, don't care.

WoW : OK I hate that I'm still playing this a bit, but my girlfriend challenged me challenging wikipedia's continuous illegal edit of WoW being "the best game ever" with "well maybe it IS the best game ever.. maybe I SHOULD play wow myself" and so coming from someone that sucks and hates video games I got the demo and let her try. Turns out she likes it, so I bought a month and we've been playing it a bit... I'm on various servers, mostly Elune.

and yeah that's about it for me... I also have guild wars , but really... is that game worth grouping over? (though I could use some help getting to 20... at 14 now... getting slaughtered)

Post here with a quick comment on the game and what server and your name and stuff and maybe we can hook up.

Still WoW for now.

With this crap computer, there's not much other MMOs I could play with a reasonably high framerate.

used to play FFXI. After killing Vrtra in 72 seconds though nothing else in that game really did in for me, lol.

I have a friend who plays a lot of MMOs, but changes every 2 or 3 months. Thus he sucked me into a few.

Maple Story: TBH I love this MMO, and would love to be able to DL it again. Sadly I heard the european server is almost non-existant now. It was your basic side scrolling 2d cutesy MMO, with the 4 simple classes of Warrior, Bowman, Mage and Thief.

Guild Wars: Was pretty overwhelmed by the graphical display, but didn't like the combat system. This is probably the reason I don't play WoW or ever will.

Grand Chase: Not a very interesting name IMO, but basically a 3d version of Maple Story to me, with a little more character restriction. The fact that you replayed levels instead of free roaming was not my idea of fun. Ronan was pretty cool though,

I'm at the point where I'm loving WAR... It is everywhere... I've got a few toons on a couple of servers and just really enjoying the nature of playing against other people... And Witch Elves are stupidly broken....But other wise not that much else... I know some people that should give up their WoW but their Epeeni for having level 80-billion characters and actually having to interact with people see kinda far fetched.

DDO.

WoW is a waste of a perfectly good world and the lives of people who play it :P

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

DDO.

WoW is a waste of a perfectly good world and the lives of people who play it :P

Son Gopaul said:

I have a friend who plays a lot of MMOs, but changes every 2 or 3 months. Thus he sucked me into a few.

Maple Story: TBH I love this MMO, and would love to be able to DL it again. Sadly I heard the european server is almost non-existant now. It was your basic side scrolling 2d cutesy MMO, with the 4 simple classes of Warrior, Bowman, Mage and Thief.

Guild Wars: Was pretty overwhelmed by the graphical display, but didn't like the combat system. This is probably the reason I don't play WoW or ever will.

Grand Chase: Not a very interesting name IMO, but basically a 3d version of Maple Story to me, with a little more character restriction. The fact that you replayed levels instead of free roaming was not my idea of fun. Ronan was pretty cool though,

GW lagged so badly when I tried it decided against touching that.

Wow. bring it, Vern! > :(

Guild Wars- I did play it for a long time, but I got really pissed off when it became impossible for my character to continue solo with bot support. When I've returned to it, it was OK, but there was always something that I didn't like. You spend way too much time doing well in that game. I forget my character's name... I think it was Kraven Bloodfist lengua.gif .

Monster Hunter- when this game still had its server, a lot of people played it for a PS2 game. Good memories there.

Unreal Tournament 3- I'm not even sure that I can lots of people play this (to qualify it as "massively"), but there's always enough people. Lots of exploding corpses. My user name is ctr2yellowbird...

Hellgate:London- I still don't advise anyone play this, but the latest development in its long history of epic management failures suggests that it might finally get the support it deserves by a new company. The new company still needs to officially "officially" support it in English, and they need to do it before Bandai stops supporting its US server come February. My user name is also ctr2yellowbird...

Ragnarok Online- I think that's what it's called. I played it for some time to humor my friend, but I eventually stopped playing due to its lack of coherence resulting in some mega-suck.

AdventureQuest Worlds- umm... sonrojado.gif This is a pretty silly game to be found playing... Again, once humoring my friend, I now find myself playing it mindlessly until I max out my character's level. I think I might continue playing it just to do randomly altruistic feats because its rather amusing. My character's name is ctr2yellowbirdfx. I added the "fx" just for lulz...

papernaut said:

Wow. bring it, Vern! > :(

Honestly WoW is... OK. Like I may have mentioned, I'm playing it a bit. I just get... lonely. Like.. I'm doing stuff, maybe even questing together... maybe even hitting an instance. But the fact that I'm not killing other players in an easily accesible constant manner that lets me level up in only killing other players makes me sad...

WAR just seems so.. pressing. There's that destruction vs. order gauge for each zone in each tier on the top of your screen that just eggs me on to GO FIGHT WIN and kill some opposing, which is VERY accesible from level 1. OR I can level up by doing quests and public quests and instances...

Maybe this will help you understand my problems with WoW.

SO I get online to a new server (PvP server, which, btw is terribly named. More like Get to 80 and maybe kill some people and the rest of the time die to people higher level than you server) that some friends are on. I ask one of them "hey I'm going to level a healer to help you guys out. You want to roll something and level with me?". "No! I need to do raids and get to 80 with my alts"... "um... man. I'm sorry. I didn't know that was so much fun! Wow. Um... rocks to be 80, eh?" "Well its not really that much funner, I just need to do it for my group"... "oh... um... ok. So... see you in game in um... a few months?" "I'll help you level! I can come kill some stuff for you!" "wait.. I thought you had to level your alts to 80 and get ready to raid!?! if you don't have time to roll another dude and play with me on an even basis together, how can you have time to come back and slaughter tings with me?" "..."

Many times when asked if someone wants to try out another MMO they answer "nah man. No time for two MMOs. and I can't take any time off from WoW to go play another one. Got to get my dudes up to 80 (or 'got to keep doing raids to stay in the guild' or 'I already have three 80s I dont want to take all that time leveling something else in another game! thats boring!)"

Since when has enjoying an MMO been entirely restricted to the end game?

If WoW isn't 'fun' until I get to 80 in it... why should I play it? If its such a drag a chore for others to roll a lowbie and play with me 'for fun'... is this a good thing?

WHAT THE EXPLITIVE!!??!!

Meh, no MMO, and yes that includes WHO (I hate the WAR acronym, personally) even though they came pretty close, has done proper PvP right.

Well given it isn't an entirely pvp game though: what would you have liked to have seen in WAR instead?

Oh and to the guy that plays war... right now I'm a knights of the bunring sun named VTank on ungrim. rank 20 itching to drink more beer. (I have others ut he's my favourite right now... erm she...)

vermillian said:

Well given it isn't an entirely pvp game though: what would you have liked to have seen in WAR instead?

Oh and to the guy that plays war... right now I'm a knights of the bunring sun named VTank on ungrim. rank 20 itching to drink more beer. (I have others ut he's my favourite right now... erm she...)

Honestly, again, it didn't have it perfect, but the fact you can get to it right out of the gate and it's an integrated part of the game, as opposed to what seems to be a tacked on (WoW and CoX especially) part is a stroke of genius MMO makers should have had years ago.

When I saw it in action, though, I wasn't exactly impressed. I can't say because I haven't played it personally, but from my third person view it just didn't look fun is all.

GuildWars: have been playing what I think is possibly the nicest looking nonpay MMO for over three years now and I'm still not bored of it! happy.gif I mostly spend my time in Alliance Battles of in Dungeons these days as I have all my character slots filled with max level characters.

Other MMOs I have dabbled in:

City of Heroes/Villains: Great game, pity about the lack of community.

World Of Warcraft: Gave me a headache and is full of lonely pervs who chat up female characters, that really worried me. happy.gif

Matrix Online: Great looking Game, loads to do, suffered from top level characters picking on lower levels on pvp servers.

Dungeon Runner: Still play occassionally, good for a giggle.

FF XI: Played the beta, got bored with in thirty seconds, maybe should have given it a bit more time.

So matrix online was a free for all pvp? Yikes... WAR's got that covered with turning big dudes in to chickens if they go in to lower zones to pick on lowbies, and stat buffs for lowbies when they wander in to too high of a pvp area (though they still die, just not instant death).

I've been meaning to play some more GW... I only ever made it to 14, never did much of the PvP in that game nor dungeons... and it DOES look good doesn't it? heard anything about GW2?

And yeah... I play mostly female characters (look better and confuses people) and I get buffed a lot and chatted up. I go along with it. Its like crossplaying but... not. Not at all actually. :P

WHO (or Warhammer Age of Reckoning > W.A.R.) plays just like any other MMO except that the PvP really is built in to the game, BUT is not a required feature of the game. And its in it in a way that (unless you join a free for all pvp server) you'll never be in a situation where a whole group of enemy players group up and block off entire areas of the board (except until end game where more than half of the game is PvP... so I've heard).

Maybe a story would be best:

This is literally the first time I'd PvP'd in an MMO aside from the gank fest they call PvP in WoW. I'm leveling up and I was all cautious about joining scenarios right away (instant join from anywhere in the world if I haven't already mentioned that a thousand times already)... I'm just doing quests and public quests. I'm at like rank 7 or so and quests tell me to go make sure the enemy doesn't set fire to Festenlatz or something, so I start walking towards it and suddenly the screen tells me "You have entered an RvR area and are now flagged for combat!" or something. I'm like "oh ballz... what?!? This quest takes me into RvR space?!?"... however there was a rank 10 dude near by so I went ahead and did it anyhow. I'm collecting the crap for the quest, and I notice there's a bunch of action down the hill. My hearts racing at this point (there are screams and tons of crying and yelling in the distance) cause the concept of PvP has always been an iffy one for me... Someone says "buff with the warmarshal Vhael! HELP US!" or something like that... so I talk to the war marshall that was right next to me (NPC) who provides me a buff, and I wander over there. Man. 5 destruction players trying to take back the area that I was completing my quest in. I help out a bit (throwing some DoTs around and some heals), they retreat, I finish my quest stuff, except for one piece which I realize needs done in the area that destruction still held... ugh. by 'holding' I mean a battle feild objective which consists of 5 guards and a flag. Kill te guards, take the flag, and three minuets later the area is yours, 15 minutes later your guards spawn there and it can again be captured by the opposing faction... so I join those other PCs party, we try and take back that battlefeild objective. some more destruction show up (some of the same one's we'd just killed plus like three more). We retreat to our battle feild objective. We get two more, but its not enough to push through, so me and another lower ranked witch hunter decide we're going to go ambush destruction players after the die on their way back to their objective. Works great, we kill off two of them and we're both alive so in the interum our side was able to push enough progress through on the battlefeild objective and capture the flag... which is then taken back by the opposing side (destruction), but by then I had already grabbed the bag of flour I needed in that area anyhow, and decided to call it a night.

SO that was a pretty epic first PvP experience. I learned a few things about my class. Warrior Priests are WARRIORS and priests. They have to alternate fight and heal to be the most effective. I also learned to kill the squishies first... of which I was apparently one of them. heh. Which is fine cause I need to be in combat to use my abilities the best.

So yeah. If you like MMOs and like a game that can give you PvP fun and PvE fun also (sometimes at the same time) then give WHO (WAR) a shot.

game on.

In MxO you were safe on the PvP servers until you hit lvl 10 I think it was, but it didn't make a great deal of difference when a super charged lvl 60 (top lvl) is sitting on a roof sniping you as soon as you spawn. You did have the choice of non-pvp servers, which was fine if all you wanted to was grind out the missions, but did get a bit dull after a while. the other great thing, in my mind anyway, about MxO was the radio stations, each faction had their own station, manned by players, one of which went on to become a professional.

My main issue with WAR, WoW and several others like it is the monthly fee, I resent paying for a game I have already paid for. I know I'm in the miniority here, 10 million WoW players who abuse their parents credit card can't be wrong. happy.gif It just doesn't sit right with me, and I feel it also is one of the contributing reasons for people playing those games to excessive levels. Lets face it, when you aren't playing it you are wasting money. Obviously these games, in some cases, offer more to the players than a fee free Guild Wars, but I don't need the ability to jump or feel the need to pay for it.

Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be out now, but it has all gone very quiet. A couple of sites had early screen shots and some speculative ideas, but I haven't seen or heard anything new for a while now. As a GW player I'm totally looking forward to it, partly because my characters now directly affect any new ones I play in GW2 with their achievements in the first game, it's all based on titles. I'm sure it will appear at some point to eat more time from my life that I don't have enough of already. happy.gif

If you need help on Guild Wars my main character name is Kurnous The Hunter, I'll cheerfully help you along the way. happy.gif

Tallgeese said:

City of Heroes/Villains: Great game, pity about the lack of community.

Ugh, extremely bad PvP (they allegedly fixed it, but there's still no reason to do it anyway), and a boring PvE game. Loved the character creator, but beyond that there's not a lot to like about the game.

As far as the lack of community, IIRC that wasn't the case, but if you're on the Euro servers I get where you're coming from.

Tallgeese said:

My main issue with WAR, WoW and several others like it is the monthly fee, I resent paying for a game I have already paid for. I know I'm in the miniority here, 10 million WoW players who abuse their parents credit card can't be wrong. happy.gif It just doesn't sit right with me, and I feel it also is one of the contributing reasons for people playing those games to excessive levels.

I chose to research video game addiction as my writing topic for an academic writing course, and, actually, monthly fees have very little to do with why some gamers play excessively. The most supported reason for excessive video gaming by advocates of video game addiction is that addictive gaming is often a manifestation of "underlying problems." Also, a very fine line drawn between gamers who can objectify their real life over gaming (i.e., "self-regulation") and those who can't: the latter group shows a significantly greater chance for video game addiction than the former group. While a multitude of personal problems that cause video game addiction do exist, gamers' in-game outlets are much more streamlined, which makes differentiating the root cause for a specific addiction rather difficult. Monthly fees do not factor into motivation for addictive gameplay, but they could be an incentive to continue "engaged" gameplay that may lead to an addiction.

@ thread: "We've had this date with each other from the beginning." Stanley, A Streetcar Named Desire

Without monthly fees, MMORPGs would've died off a long time ago.

I mostly play Final Fantasy XI (little over four years now...)

also play a mediocre but reasonably fun game called Mabinogi, it's run by Nexon, the same company that made Maple Story. Going back to my initial statement, Mabinogi becomes unplayable and insanely un-fun when the game lags even a little bit, and mob balance is incredibly poor because their AI doesn't account for lag (they appear to ready and cast spells as well as draw and fire arrows in about half the time players need, for example). You can play the game for free but they have optional paid services... frankly, the game sucks enormously if you aren't using any paid services, and even with that revenue the servers still lag it up once in a while. I couldn't imagine how godawful the game would be if it was completely free to play.

Tagrineth said:

I couldn't imagine how godawful the game would be if it was completely free to play.

No MMO could ever survive on that thing.

Hell, even Kingdom of Loathing has donation drives.

Wait, how come no one plays Tabula Rasa...?

Well, for the sake of PvP, I see what you mean, verm, and well for me I'm just not that into PvP in general. I wouldn't be into MMO's at all if it wasn't for the fact that my bro's paying mah fee. Oh, and btw Lich King is SO NOT WORTH IT until you get a death knight and even them its sorta meh cuz you start off with all this BA gear but then you have to still get lvl 80 gear like everyone else. I wish I had known this before I bought it.

papernaut said:

Wait, how come no one plays Tabula Rasa...?

- Garriott's a blowhard

- It sucks heavily

as far as WotLK goes... unless you have a 70, it's absolutely not worth the time. A fact that should have been made clearer, but hey.

Tallgeese said:

In MxO you were safe on the PvP servers until you hit lvl 10 I think it was, but it didn't make a great deal of difference when a super charged lvl 60 (top lvl) is sitting on a roof sniping you as soon as you spawn. You did have the choice of non-pvp servers, which was fine if all you wanted to was grind out the missions, but did get a bit dull after a while. the other great thing, in my mind anyway, about MxO was the radio stations, each faction had their own station, manned by players, one of which went on to become a professional.

My main issue with WAR, WoW and several others like it is the monthly fee, I resent paying for a game I have already paid for. I know I'm in the miniority here, 10 million WoW players who abuse their parents credit card can't be wrong. happy.gif It just doesn't sit right with me, and I feel it also is one of the contributing reasons for people playing those games to excessive levels. Lets face it, when you aren't playing it you are wasting money. Obviously these games, in some cases, offer more to the players than a fee free Guild Wars, but I don't need the ability to jump or feel the need to pay for it.

Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be out now, but it has all gone very quiet. A couple of sites had early screen shots and some speculative ideas, but I haven't seen or heard anything new for a while now. As a GW player I'm totally looking forward to it, partly because my characters now directly affect any new ones I play in GW2 with their achievements in the first game, it's all based on titles. I'm sure it will appear at some point to eat more time from my life that I don't have enough of already. happy.gif

You are absolutely right about the non-payment versus payment thing. When I had WoW for free for a while (bit of a fluke) I would play it... a bit. I wasn't obsessed with it, well I as at first, cause I was like "WoW for free? what's going on here!". That ended a bit ago, but I bought another month to show my girlfriend it to... and you're right. Now that I have it, I feel like I've wasted that fifteen bucks by NOT playing it... weird.

Think there's a parallel here with CCGs also... "oh no dude... I already have Magic cards" kind of thing...