Embrace Suffering

By *Ajunta, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Nobody could give me some answer on the french forum so I try here but previously, I appology if my english is approximative... ?

I have few questions on the 4 XP power Embrace Suffering and mostly for the second point of the power.

As Imperial player, can I :

- Use a passive power from the caracter like Disabling Shot from Gideon ?

- Use a power who need stress like Havoc Shot from Fenn ?

- Use a power who need stress AND who must be call before the attaque like Ambush from Mak ?

- Use ready equipment cards like Tactical Display or Combat Visor ?

And as Rebel player, could the target of Embrace Suffering do in response :

- Use a passive power like Opportunist from Jyn or Boltslinger from Vinto ?

- Use a XP card like Full Sweep from Shyla ?

Thanks for your answers.

5 hours ago, *Ajunta said:

Nobody could give me some answer on the french forum so I try here but previously, I appology if my english is approximative... ?

I have few questions on the 4 XP power Embrace Suffering and mostly for the second point of the power.

As Imperial player, can I :

- Use a passive power from the caracter like Disabling Shot from Gideon ?

- Use a power who need stress like Havoc Shot from Fenn ?

- Use a power who need stress AND who must be call before the attaque like Ambush from Mak ?

- Use ready equipment cards like Tactical Display or Combat Visor ?

And as Rebel player, could the target of Embrace Suffering do in response :

- Use a passive power like Opportunist from Jyn or Boltslinger from Vinto ?

- Use a XP card like Full Sweep from Shyla ?

Thanks for your answers.

The answer to everything under "Imperial Player" is yes. This also extends to any power tokens etc.

The answer to everything under "Rebel player" is no; and not only that: In fact the Imperial Player also gets to do all those.

For more check out the most recent FAQ, which includes an entry on what you can do when taking control of a figure to attack with it + an entry on how "after an attack resolves"/"after performing an attack"-abilities are considered part of the attack (and thus also under the control of the opponent/Imperial Player).

I won - as the Empire - in our Heart of the Empire for one reason and one reason only: the rebels bought a blaster with Stun despite me having Embrace Suffering...

Thumbs up for doing the service of linking to all the abilities you mentioned, making it much easier to answer your question! Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Cremate said:

+ an entry on how "after an attack resolves"/"after performing an attack"-abilities are considered part of the attack (and thus also under the control of the opponent/Imperial Player).

Actually the FAQ only specified that the after attack resolves only use the attack timing, I don't think there was any change to the previous rulings about the control ending just before the after-attack-resolves abilities start resolving.

Disabling Shot: Yes, it's a figure ability. Havoc Shot: Yes, it's a figure's ability (provided the strain can be suffered, or recovered from a surge and then activated). Ambush: Yes, it's a figure's ability (provided the strain can be suffered). Tactical Display / Combat Visor / Full Sweep (Shyla): yes, if they are ready.

Opportunist, Sidewinder, Boltslinger, Fell Swoop (Davith) seem to fall under the old ruling that the control ends before the after-attack-resolves abilities are resolved.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Next time I have a question, I directly come here and don't waste my time on the french forum. ?

May I use Embrace Hate (inflicting one damage while declaring an attack with Imperial unit) with Embrace Suffering used on a Hero?

Embrace Hate isn't while declaring attack, it's start of status phase.

When performing an attack with another figure, it is imperial and rebel only for mission rules , not for Embrace Anger .

So no.

Thanks for answer.

Edited by lorunks
wording
On 6/19/2018 at 10:15 PM, a1bert said:

Opportunist, Sidewinder, Boltslinger, Fell Swoop (Davith) seem to fall under the old ruling that the control ends before the after-attack-resolves abilities are resolved.

So in example I attack using Vinto. Then the player playing Vinto can apply Boltslinger after my attack with Vinto and he will choose an imperial target?

On 6/20/2018 at 2:37 PM, *Ajunta said:

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Next time I have a question, I directly come here and don't waste my time on the french forum. ?

@a1bert is a guarantee ;)

32 minutes ago, Golan Trevize said:

So in example I attack using Vinto. Then the player playing Vinto can apply Boltslinger after my attack with Vinto and he will choose an imperial target?

I would argue Vinto didn't resolve an attack (" Boltslinger : After you resolve an attack.."), but I'm not sure what the IA team would decide.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, a1bert said:

I would argue Vinto didn't resolve an attack (" Boltslinger : After you resolve an attack.."), but I'm not sure what the IA team would decide.

Any chance someone has sent in a question or seen an update confirming this?

On 1/30/2019 at 12:20 PM, player678037 said:

Any chance someone has sent in a question or seen an update confirming this?

I just submitted for you.

IMPO, the "after you resolve" an attack ability should still resolve and should be controlled by the figure's actual controller.

"After you resolve an attack" abilities should still trigger even if the figure's original controller wasn't performing the attack because of how the rules treat the word "you".

Many cards use the word “you” to refer to a figure instead of the player. For example, if a Deployment card reads “While attacking, you may reroll 1 or more attack dice” any figure belonging to that card’s group may reroll one die while it is attacking.

The word "you" in Vinto's ability (After you resolve an attack with a [ranged] weapon) isn't referring to the player, otherwise it trigger off of any hero that player was controlling resolving an attack with a ranged weapon, so we know that it's referring to Vinto the figure himself. And since Vinto did resolve an attack, his ability should trigger regardless of which player was controlling him at the time.

The player using the mind control ability shouldn't get to make choices for abilities that trigger after the attack resolves because of this line from the FAQ:

Some abilities allow players to perform an attack with a hostile figure. To resolve such an attack, the player resolving the ability controls the hostile figure for the duration of that attack

When the attack finishes resolving, the control effect ends, then "after you resolve an attack" abilities would trigger.

Also A1bert posted this answer to basically the same question:

and the imperial player is different to a regular hero?

Murne Rin can use false orders and then use the imperial players class card Adaptive weapons?

i assume hero class powers belong to the figure, so when using embrace suffering you can trigger the hero figures class powers. but when Murne Rin uses false orders, it only controls the deployment card, and everything on it attached or otherwise, and cannot use any imperial class cards?. is this correct? what is the difference between class cards for imperial and heroes.

When you perform an attack with another figure, you can use that figure's abilities.

Abilities on imperial class cards that are attachments are figure's abilities.

Abilities on imperial class cards that are not attachments are under imperial player's control and (most) are not figure's abilities. Abilities with no costs apply to the figure, abilities with costs are decided by the imperial player.

When performing an attack with a hero, it includes abilities on that hero's class cards by definition, but only during the attack when the attack is performed with the hero, not after the attack resolves, because the attack is then over.

(The latest question is, if you perform an attack with another figure, does that figure perform the attack?)

Edited by a1bert