New Blog Post/Tom's Uthuk List building!

By flightmaster101, in Runewars List Building

@tgall Has updated our blog with his thoughts on list building now that the Uthuk Y'llan expansions have finally hit the shelves!

Head on over and check it out! Tell us what Tom got right, what he got wrong, and how you are going to experiment with your Uthuk now that we have new toys!

https://runecasters.net/2018/06/18/new-uthuk-list-foo/

Edited by flightmaster101

Hm. You go into spamming a lot of one thing. Interesting concepts, though I’m not sure that I think spamming a single unit - even threshers - is the right call. Though I do realize you are engaging in an intellectual exercise and not recommending it.

I’m finding that I have to run a varied Uthuk army. Whenever I lean towards spam, it backfires. I’m assuming part of that conclusion is my playstyle.

2 minor technical points:

-You make a valid point about Rippers being the good go-to for Kethra’s skill, but you forgot to mention her name at all

-You spelled it Spinned Threshers in one of your headers. Correct grammar is Spun Threshers.

Hey Church!

Yes they are unabashedly spam approaches .. well mostly. I think when you use berserkers there is a natural pull to have a more balanced force unless you're going for maximum abuse of a particular idea.

And typos? I make typOs? Lol, I'm a typo factory. Thanks!

As much as trying to abuse a specific game mechanic - like a blight EVERYTHING army - sounds fun, it seems to lead to relying on good/bad matchups. It seems like a Swiss Army knife army is the way to go for reliable performance.

I don’t usually codify it like this, but I instinctively try to figure out how to include at least 4-5 of the options below:

-Enemy debuff (blight, stun, immobilize, panic)

-Deep strike unit (engage enemy archers turn 2)

-Flank protection

-Armor buster

-Soft target hunter

-Ranged support

-Blocker

-A way to control tempo

-A way to grab objectives

So the list I used for tourneys for 7 months (that I listed quite a few times), had the Deep Strike (1st Ripper), Flank Protection (2nd Ripper), Armor Buster (Ravos), Ranged Support (Fire Rune Berserkers), and Blockers/TokenGrabbers (solo Threshers). The 6 tray berserkers were also a sort of deep strike threat / tempo management.

My most recent fun list is:

Ankaur(Ranged)

3x1 Xbow (Ranged)

Solo Lancer (blocker, objectives)

Ardus w/ Gauntlet (armor buster)

2X 2x1 Death Knights (flanks, blocker)

The last list where I got stomped was 3X 2x2 Berserkers (stacking lethal) and a 6 tray Flesh Rippers. Normally, I have my rippers do double duty as Deep Strike / Flanks, but at 6 trays, they are too wide to slip into the back field and too expensive not to have right in the thick of it. So I basically had 4 line units. Jukey took it apart when he rolled up one flank with Maegan/archers.