Review of Dark Heresy

By Kadrek, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

I made a review of Dark Heresy and the other RPGs in the same universe. What do you think? Is there something I should change in the review?

Wow, my 1st question for you besides the my little pony game system, what other games systems do you currently enjoy playing. I've played 40k wargame since there were Squats before they all got eaten ? and I have played the 40k system since it came out with a local group of players who are liberal as can be.

Yes 40k universe is a fascist system that is crumbling as you state that is trying to bind all humanity together in 1 big block to survive against the all threats. As is the Empire in Star Wars.

But you miss that while yes the Space Marines are "powerful troops and stars of the Game" what really holding back the hordes (be they Orks, Tau, Necrons, Craftworld or Dark Eldar, Mutants, Chaos forces (Human or Space Marine) or even Human Rebel forces) are the PDF and Imperial Guard units which are made up normal humans. But most people are more concerned with happening on lets say Planet Kadrek, because of the Feudalism nature of the planetary systems then to worry about rest of the Imperium, the planetary ruling class and/or Imperium Assets will care about the sector and above. Even the Imperial Creed changes for "local" conditions.

You could and should be able to find just about any government style on the local level from clan/family bands most likely with imported planetary ruler sitting in orbit station to 1980 era [ not sure you get much more modern as the setting not that advanced with gear ] modern world style governments with the local leadership of any Political Ideologies, because the as long as they meet the Imperial Tithe, the Imperium doesn't care how the planets are run. Fail to make that Tithe and soon or later the Imperium will come calling to find out why.

First, your video is in no way a review of Dark Heresy as you claim.

It is no more than a rant about your individual overinterpretation of the WH40K lore driven by your political views. It proceeds then to slander GDW.

What do I think? It is you making an excuse to grandstand your politics.

How could it be improved? Actually review the games properly, or delete the video. As it is, it is garbage.

If you genuinely are finding the Warhammer RPG/gaming community sees the world through the same sort of prejudiced keyhole as the stereotypical imperial....then I worry. A lot.

I will say, I've not had that experience, but I accept that's not the same as 'it's not true' - it may be different in different parts of the world.

Regardless, if it is, they have more problems than liking warhammer. I play Imperials in star wars (as you can probably tell from my Avatar) but in no way do I think Vader & Palpatine are role models for political leaders....

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I play Imperials in star wars (as you can probably tell from my Avatar) but in no way do I think Vader & Palpatine are role models for political leaders....

If films and books were not created by the victorious rebels... Well, at least we have Thrawn...

13 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

I play Imperials in star wars (as you can probably tell from my Avatar) but in no way do I think Vader & Palpatine are role models for political leaders....

Nah.... the role model is Jar Jar ? ?

7 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Nah.... the role model is Jar Jar ? ?

Better than Hux.

Just as an observation - the reviewer may have a bit of prior with "eh?" comments: I refer you to the only post other than the above video on the FFG forums:

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2010 at 11:06 AM, Kadrek said:

There is a more likely reason as to why there are no wolf priests:

The space wolf chapter can't get new troops since they went in the eye of the terror and mutated (they have claws and can't make new chapters). Ever since then, the wolf priests have had to stay within the chapter.

Look it up on Wikkipedia.

On 7/3/2018 at 2:27 PM, Jargal said:

If films and books were not created by the victorious rebels... Well, at least we have Thrawn...

And Pellaeon!

And now I'm mad at Disney again for killing off the Legacy comics.

4 hours ago, Lynata said:

And Pellaeon!

Yeah, Gilad was always an exemplary Imperial officer.