Gentlemen of Fortune: Fantasy on the High Seas

By Noahjam325, in Your Settings

After many months of hard work I have finally completed my homebrew setting/rule system. The link below contains the PDF and character sheet for the game.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cqKgLJE-IWOEr_OfhSLpnApMaWqyAk2f

I apologize that the character sheet is not pretty, but it's the best I could do in my current situation. It might get a face lift at some point in the future. I also apologize if some of the formatting in the PDF is a little weird. I spent months working on a word document for the system. I have never used HTML in my life and just this Sunday just forced myself to use GM Binder without looking at any HTML tutorials. So what you see with the PDF was what I was able to figure out in less than a week. I'm also not a professional writer, so some of the writing might be on the cringy side. The lore and setting is meant to be on the generic side so that anybody can just kind of fit these mechanics into any of their games, so a lot of the content in there was directly inspired by my players. This is one of the reasons you won't find any talents in this book. Rather than making a gigantic list we're planning on using the expanded talent list created by the community and just creating talents as we play. The mechanics and skills were designed in such a way that they could facilitate the many different interpretations of a pirate adventure . The system is designed assuming the players are a small but elite crew of pirates that can take on large navy frigates with hundreds of crew (e.g. One Piece ). But also have the ability to scale up to having their own large ship with hundreds of crew to manage. It also streamlines a lot of the minutia of gear management so players and GM can focus more on cool items and action rather than gear management. Most of these mechanics were play tested a little bit before they made it into this PDF.

With all of that said I'm hoping for honest and constructive feedback and I hope my work will help others with their own systems. If you happen to use any of these rules please feel free to share your experiences.

In the next month or so I'm hoping to also have a map of Karkuun released as well as a "spell book." The Spell Book is going to be a separate PDF that just has a bunch of example spells for each magic skill. The players would not be limited to the spells in any way, but will be a tool to help them learn how magic works in Genesys. It's also just really fun to make up spells. One of my players is also doing some custom art for the book that will get added in future versions.

Edited by Noahjam325

It’s fantastic! I particularly like your Rolling the Bones addition, it’s a great little rule to fit the setting. I think the xp each species has could be changed a touch, I didn’t see any that deserves less than 90xp imho.

The skills are great, Gear is great, magic skills fit really well, and I love the implements you came up with. A quick glance at the ships and they are cool too.

well done.

I had a bit of a hard time with the XP calculation of species because between the Genesys core rule book and Realms of Terrinoth there is a lot of inconsistencies in how XP is calculated. I'm thinking of adding 5 extra XP to some or all of the races.

Rolling the Bones went through at least 3 or 4 revisions before it became what you see. It was born from the idea of wanting to include the Force Die from Star Wars because we didn't want to buy 4 new packs of dice. It's basically a mash up of the way Panache works in 7th Sea, and a mechanic from Fate.

It originally involved adding threat or advantage, but that got way too roll play rather than roleplay. It really promotes both players and GM's feeding into the narrative together. I love mechanics that give players a little taste of GM power. I'm also a huge fan of risk vs. reward situations.

Edited by Noahjam325

I have upgraded the PDF with the second version. Outside of correcting some typos, and some incorrect item stats. The major update to this version is the addition of more races, some new heroic action option, some new talents, and a section I detail as 'The Spellbook.' As detailed in the book The Spellbook is just to help get players an idea of the different types of spell actions the skill can make. The last spell of each section detailed with the "Custom" additional effect is a way of using that spell action in a unique way not detailed in the book, and thus does not add the base effect.

I'm pretty confident that these new sections have a ton of typos so I apologize for that. I proofread as much as possible but I know some slipped through. There are only 2 major updates left for this document, the first being fixing typos and formatting issues. The second is going to be a premade adventure. I'm going to document my party's first adventure and put it into the document so anybody interested in running the setting has a place to start. I won't be adding that until after my party has completed the adventure, which won't be until at least mid july.

Edited by Noahjam325

Great work! Love the setting. However I have noticed that the Boarding Axe is only +1 Damage. Isn't this a bit low? +2 Seems better. On the other hand, the Rapier appears on Adversaries in the CRB and on Terrinoth and it is a +3 Damage, Defensive 1, Pierce 2...Maybe Pierce 2 is too much but +3 Damage seems appropiate.

Thanks for the time and effort.

10 hours ago, Erahard said:

Great work! Love the setting. However I have noticed that the Boarding Axe is only +1 Damage. Isn't this a bit low? +2 Seems better. On the other hand, the Rapier appears on Adversaries in the CRB and on Terrinoth and it is a +3 Damage, Defensive 1, Pierce 2...Maybe Pierce 2 is too much but +3 Damage seems appropiate.

Thanks for the time and effort.

After reviewing the items i definitely agree on the axe, making it +2 damage makes a lot of sense. I have to disagree on the rapier though. Because it has Pierce 1 it effectively has a damage of +3 because of ignoring 1 soak. Because i wanted some diversity in the weapons i traded the defensive for accurate.

So if you want the more defensive weapon you have a normal cutlass, if you want a more accurate weapon you have the rapier. Although the sword does have a lower crit rating. What i might do is increase the Pierce to 2 from one. Which i think is a more interesting solution than just adding a damage.

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful to get insight from new people. As apposed to just my normal gaming group.

The PDF is now on version 2.5. I've made the changes listed above to the weapons as well as fixed some typos. I also made the formatting in the equipment section much prettier. I added a world map to the first page, it's just the first version. I will be making a second version with a bit more detail after. You can also find a much more detailed world map in the Google Drive folder, as well as one just showing off the biomes. I also added a page at the back of the book that serves as a cheat sheet for the different vehicle actions and maneuvers. My players and I never really did much with the vehicle rules in Star Wars so this should help them transition when our game starts. I hope it's useful for somebody else too.

This project is almost near what I would call completion . The PDF has been updated to version 2.9 and outside of more typos than my brain can even begin to comprehend that means this PDF is almost feature complete. There is now a completed map in the Google doc folder that has the names of the oceans/seas and some other major locations listed. The map inside the PDF now also has the oceans and seas listed on it. I've also completed a cheat sheet for magic in the back of the book alongside the cheat sheet for vehicles. This magic cheat sheet can be used for any game, the different magical skills correlate evenly with the normal Genesys/Terrinoth skills outside of their names and some of the lore.

The last major update for this document (version 3.0) will be done after my players have completed the first adventure. Any good RPG system needs a starting adventure and the PDF will include one. While this adventure will be tailored for my personal campaign, it has been designed as a starting adventure. So there will be a lot of open ends and player choices to make that can easily fit into anybody's game.

Edited by Noahjam325

So it's finally done. My players have had a blast playing this homebrew, they handled some of the situations in the adventure slightly differently than I had planned, but it took 4 sessions to complete with about 4 hours each session. The adventure does involve the GM doing some legwork to tailor it to their players, but it should be enough to pick up and go. It involved a tremendous amount of player choice and hopefully it should contain plans and backup plans for even the most adventurous party. There are still plenty of typos and formatting errors but the main PDF is now one complete package. It's 52 pages and should now contain everything the GM and players need including an adventure!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cqKgLJE-IWOEr_OfhSLpnApMaWqyAk2f

If anybody is interested I also have a separate document that just has additional races and careers that have been created after the core book. So far it includes Mimics and Half-Wolves as playable races; if there's demand I'll release a public version of it as well.

For those interested this is just the adventure.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_R5xst7roYiSa2zt_Is5utciaBnQWmfb/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by Noahjam325

Looks very interesting. Just a question from a cursory overview: your copyright notice at the bottom of the page mentions Wizards of the Coast (rather than FFG). Is this simply a typo or is there some WotC connection in theme or setting that I am missing?

3 hours ago, geki said:

Looks very interesting. Just a question from a cursory overview: your copyright notice at the bottom of the page mentions Wizards of the Coast (rather than FFG). Is this simply a typo or is there some WotC connection in theme or setting that I am missing?

I used GM Binder to make the document and from my understanding it's automatically applied because the website was originally intended to make fan content for D&D.

There's also the possibility there's a way to change or remove it that I'm just not aware of.

Edited by Noahjam325

So my campaign in this setting has been going well, my players have finally got a hand on their character concepts and ideas. They've started expanding their crew, created a name for themselves, and are about to reach their first Fame rank by crashing a noble's party and torching their harbor. I've created an extra document that I add to as I add more content to the system. It has additional species and careers, but mostly adversaries. I figured I would post this to see if it helps anybody else with their games. Some of these NPC's are unique to my campaign, and I use a lot of shorthand when it comes to statting out NPC's. E.g. I don't detail talents or abilities that are commonly known or understood. I also fill some minions with a ton of skills and weapons/armor to serve as a reference tool. E.g. the orcs in the PDF have a ton of different weapons, talents, skills, etc.. When I use them some orcs have axe/shield with bodyguard, some wield boarding pikes, some use their fists, etc.. Rather than making 3 or 4 different statblocks for them I just make a single one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Soc2t_1QFar8q4EVRcVe-wZVENWqDDD9

please, report any eventual more progress here, i'm following:)

Unfortunately I don't have much more to add. The campaign I was running went on hiatus. I hope to revisit the setting at some point, but if enough people show interest I might make some more content.