Need Help - New player

By Enzeco, in General Discussion

Hello guys.

My girlfriend offered me this game on my birthday and i am in love with this game.

I read the rules and play a few times so im starting to have some questions. First i saw that this game has a lot of expansions and packs with more cards, then i realized that the game i have (core pack) is very limited do play.

So my first ideia was: i want to make this collection, start buying all the expansions and mini packs. So, many questions for you guys:

- my goal is just to play with friends (3 ou 4 players, cometimes only 1vs1). Not competitive or with other guys with their decks. Only i have the cards. What should i buy so can i and my friends could play?

- Whats the diference betwen deluxe expansions and packs? should i buy deluxe expansions or packs?

- I saw that the same character have many diferent cards (ex: i saw that the Cersei from core pack costs 4 gold, and the cercei from lannister deluxe pack costs 7 i think). Can y play in the same deck with this 2 different Cersei?

So, if i buy one copy of each pack and expansion, can i play with cards off all them together? make decks with them? what should i do?

thanks

Basically, the LCG model has three main types of releases: The Core Set, Deluxe expansions, and Chapter Packs. The only thing you potentially need to buy multiples of is the Core Set.

The Core Set contains a base of cards; generally speaking you need to buy three copies to have a full set (some people dislike having to buy the same thing three times which is understandable, but it lets them include more individual cards in each set).

You then have Deluxe boxes that basically focus on a particular faction; this gives you a significant amount of cards for the main faction, and then a couple of cards for each faction plus some neutral cards/plots and .

Chapter Packs generally give you two cards per faction, then some neutral cards/plots etc.

What you should buy ultimately comes down to how much you want to invest. One option would be to buy the 3 x Cores and the Deluxe boxes, which would give you plenty of options to play with. Two issues: One is things may not be balanced, two is that three factions still don't have Deluxes (it'll probably be another year and a half before they do, they usually come out every 6 months or so). Another option is to go through card lists and buy Chapter Packs that look like they have interesting cards.

However, possibly a better option altogether is to wait a little while: FFG have announced 'intro decks' for each faction ( https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/2/call-the-banners-1/ ). We don't know exactly what is going to be included in these, but it looks like they will draw from the entire existing cardpool. You could probably just buy these and call it a day if you want to run the game essentially as a board game. However they don't work as well if you want to keep collecting - since the LCG model gives you everything, these cards are going to be worthless if you later buy the packs those cards are in

5 hours ago, Abyss said:

Basically, the LCG model has three main types of releases: The Core Set, Deluxe expansions, and Chapter Packs. The only thing you potentially need to buy multiples of is the Core Set.

The Core Set contains a base of cards; generally speaking you need to buy three copies to have a full set (some people dislike having to buy the same thing three times which is understandable, but it lets them include more individual cards in each set).

You then have Deluxe boxes that basically focus on a particular faction; this gives you a significant amount of cards for the main faction, and then a couple of cards for each faction plus some neutral cards/plots and .

Chapter Packs generally give you two cards per faction, then some neutral cards/plots etc.

What you should buy ultimately comes down to how much you want to invest. One option would be to buy the 3 x Cores and the Deluxe boxes, which would give you plenty of options to play with. Two issues: One is things may not be balanced, two is that three factions still don't have Deluxes (it'll probably be another year and a half before they do, they usually come out every 6 months or so). Another option is to go through card lists and buy Chapter Packs that look like they have interesting cards.

However, possibly a better option altogether is to wait a little while: FFG have announced 'intro decks' for each faction ( https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/2/call-the-banners-1/ ). We don't know exactly what is going to be included in these, but it looks like they will draw from the entire existing cardpool. You could probably just buy these and call it a day if you want to run the game essentially as a board game. However they don't work as well if you want to keep collecting - since the LCG model gives you everything, these cards are going to be worthless if you later buy the packs those cards are in

Many thanks!!!

" I saw that the same character have many diferent cards (ex: i saw that the Cersei from core pack costs 4 gold, and the cercei from lannister deluxe pack costs 7 i think). Can y play in the same deck with this 2 different  Cersei?       "

about this, how it works?

Another thing. Maybe my group off friends will be 3 ou 4 (me included). How many cores i need to play a melee format with 4 players with normal decks? so, 4 decks, 1 for each player. DOnt need to be professional decks. We can play like in the tuturial when they mix up 2 factions

Edited by Enzeco
another issue
19 hours ago, Enzeco said:

" I saw that the same character have many diferent cards (ex: i saw that the Cersei from core pack costs 4 gold, and the cercei from lannister deluxe pack costs 7 i think). Can y play in the same deck with this 2 different  Cersei?       "

about this, how it works? 

You can only run 3 cards named Cersei, so you'll have to choose which one to run(or mix them up a bit, but nobody does that actually).

Related to the melee question. If you want regular 60 card decks then I think 3 cores is the bare minimum. Though 1 deck will have less econ (there are 3 rose roads and 3 kings roads in each core, and the 1 each of each econ plot).

I would go for 3 cores and a couple of additional packs. (My suggestions are "the road to winterfell" for "Trading with the Pentoshi", "Guarding the realm" for "great hall").

Sorry, forgot about the character question. Yes, as Knetsch said, you can run a max of three cards by name; this applies to any card, and not just characters. And yeah, generally speaking people will build for one or the other, rather than mixing them. But it's an option if you don't end up getting extra cores.

As for # of Core Sets for full melee decks, yeah you want three pretty much. Otherwise you'll be very limited in what you can do (I think at two Cores you just about have to take everything for a faction), and you'll have to ration out neutral cards and plots. Though economy is actually not too bad - there's actually four Kingsroad/Roseroads per Core, so you can comfortably make four decks, though you'd still likely have to juggle around plots a bit with just the three Cores.

Thanks to all. I will try to buy 2 more cores. Im looking for some people that dont play anymore

Plenty o fun to be had in 2 cores only in my casual experience; don't feel pressured to buy new stuff before playing and enjoying what you have. Enjoy.

Yep... more cores and then those introduction decks. After that deluxe sets. You really want to have 3 roseroads and 3 kingroads in every deck.

one people did say in another Lcg Forum that best bet to build a deck is include 3 of all the card that you like. So that you actually draw those cards... and it is a good start. After that it is taking something of putting something else in to the decks.

also not mentioned here Are Championship decks. Those Are not balanced, but include a lot of good cards !

I suggest you to choose 3 cores and a 2 more packs. "Guarding the realm" for "great hall"

and "The road to winterfell" for "Trading with the Pentoshi".

Anyway you can have some ideas for a better choice in this link http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/agameofthrones2ndedition/a-game-of-thrones-2nd-edition-cards/_/blood-and-gold-cycle/guarding-the-realm/great-hall-r714

Leo .B

“Leaning without thinking is useless thinking without learning is dangerous”

CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC

Edited by FFT_gur
missing words