End of Netrunner

By Sildric, in Android: Netrunner The Card Game

Like GW with conquest, It is probably WOTC's fault.

6 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Casual X-Wing player here, just saw the announcement. Never played or cared about the game but...

I'm sorry about this happening, guys. It's never a great feeling for a game you enjoy to just get flat out discontinued. You've all got my condolences. I do hope somebody picks up the IP and does something great with it.

FFG still owns the Android IP and they've got plans for it - which is why this definitely feels like it's not on FFG. If you look at their announcement of Android: Magnum Opus, with the Android sourcebook coming out for Genesys, they definitely had planned to be developing this as a living world.

2 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Casual X-Wing player here, just saw the announcement. Never played or cared about the game but...

I'm sorry about this happening, guys. It's never a great feeling for a game you enjoy to just get flat out discontinued. You've all got my condolences. I do hope somebody picks up the IP and does something great with it.

FFG owns the Android IP. They licensed the original Netrunner game system from Wizards, who originally released the game in the mid 90s as a CCG, originally themed around the Cyberpunk 2020 pen and paper RPG. At best, we're going to get a new Netrunner from them, with the old theme, and likely the CCG format ? Which... I mean, as much as I like Netrunner, no thanks. Part of the appeal of Android: Netrunner is the LCG format. In a way it's not surprising they'd want it back under their roof, given CDProjekt Red should be releasing their video game adaptation of Cyberpunk fairly soon as a follow up to The Witcher 3, so the Cyberpunk IP is probably about to get a lot more valuable. That probably factored into them not wanting to continue the deal.

Such a huge bummer :(

I blame this game

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like this is the end of the LCG :( Goodbye GoT, AH, LotR, L5R and everyone else.

Edited by Marinealver

I don't pay myself, but I was at FFG's European Championships this past weekend, and Netrunner games were still being played at 11:30pm when the rest of the hall was empty. The communities for Netrunner (and L5R) looked like they were absolutely thriving.

This clearly looks like it's come entirely out of the blue.

45 minutes ago, kTravio said:

FFG still owns the Android IP and they've got plans for it - which is why this definitely feels like it's not on FFG. If you look at their announcement of Android: Magnum Opus, with the Android sourcebook coming out for Genesys, they definitely had planned to be developing this as a living world.

I actually thought that the announcement was just for an Android/Genesys sourcebook. It's cool that they're moving in that direction with it. Also, they have three other games in the Android universe (before the sourcebook) and multiple books. The setting isn't going anywhere, just the flagship for that setting.

I wonder what the Genesys game setting will be like. They could have a game set for characters trying to eek out an existence on the streets and seedy underbelly of New Angeles. They could also have a sourcebook for how to roleplay Running. I'm much more excited about it than the Terrinoth one. Maybe even more than the eventual Arkham Files one we all know we're getting but have never had confirmed (unless I missed something).

Wow, talk about a Shock! Especially after 2.0 launched like 6 months ago.

For me its such a shame as I've really enjoyed this since 2.0 launched and have been having regular games with a new player who has enjoyed buying and exploring the game.

Bummer. I loved this game and used to play it all the time, casually and competitively. But I got distracted from it for a couple of years, after which it was too expensive for me to get back up to speed. I was more focused on other games, so I sold my collection. Maybe I'll pick up Netrunner stuff in clearance sales and just play it casually, because it truly was a solid game.

4 hours ago, Sildric said:

Netrunner was probably eating into Magic's pie and they jacked the price of the license up. Or honestly Destiny could be doing it and this is their way to fight back.

They have done that before. In the history of ccg the Dune ccg was bought by Wizard of the coast and ended immediately... if you Are big enough, you can do it...

The good thing is that They did make new core before this. It is possible to make working environment by using allready released sets.

Maybe new core and x of those earlier sets would be best combination in the long run?

Edited by Hannibal_pjv

Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Jackson Howard. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains. But when Jackson Howard comes in his glory and all the angels with him, though we know not the time nor the hour, then he will sit on his glorious throne.

Seriously though, I was thinking about getting back into this game in a few months. Guess it's time to shark up a copy of every expansion I've missed. :(

Edited by PenguinBonaparte
1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

I blame this game

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like this is the end of the LCG :( Goodbye GoT, AH, LotR, L5R and everyone else.

Nonsense!

I strongly doubt there's anyone to blame but WotC. And it's a shame, too, because I consider it extremely unlikely they'll ever do anything again with the Netrunner license.

P.S.: I was a bit surprised that the situation with Legend of the Five Rings isn't the same. I hadn't noticed that FFG didn't just license the setting from AEG but actually bought the IP.

Star Wars, though... That license can't be cheap. Disney could well decide to pull the plug as soon as the current contract with FFG runs out.

4 minutes ago, jhaelen said:

Nonsense!

I strongly doubt there's anyone to blame but WotC. And it's a shame, too, because I consider it extremely unlikely they'll ever do anything again with the Netrunner license.

P.S.: I was a bit surprised that the situation with Legend of the Five Rings isn't the same. I hadn't noticed that FFG didn't just license the setting from AEG but actually bought the IP.

Star Wars, though... That license can't be cheap. Disney could well decide to pull the plug as soon as the current contract with FFG runs out.

Probably unrelated though I do find it very odd that FFG went to a random chase sort of model like this.

3 minutes ago, jhaelen said:

The only way I could see that happening is if Disney buys Hasbro, which has been rumored. That would give them WOTC as well, and they may decide to move all Star Wars gaming under one roof. But as of now, FFG has been doing right by the license both creatively and financially, so I can't see Disney just deciding to pull it for no reason.

Wow. I am SO glad I didn't buy into this game. I was really close, I would be so upset right now.

Condolences.

This is heartbreaking, and I don't even play this game!

31 minutes ago, jhaelen said:

My Darth Maul underwear, BB-8 electric toothbrush and Boba Fett trashcan disagree. I don't think Star Wars would "revoke" a license from anything.

6 hours ago, Sildric said:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/8/jacking-out/

Wow, don't even know what to say... I did not expect this...

I expected this, just not so soon. I figured another year, maybe two. Of course having to dish out cash to renew a license will hasten the decision. The game has been sadly dying out from it's heyday. There are a few places where it is still going strong but the revised core wasn't enough to bring the numbers up. I blame FFG's inability to come up with good intro products to get new players into the game. The core was never good at that. Either the game is growing or it is dying.

This is sad, Netrunner was such a cool game. It had a good life span for a game though. I am sad I only got in at the end. Maybe Wizards will do something with this though I some how doubt it.

BTW Destiny is dying fast too. I wouldn't go blaming it. I can imagine Wizards upping the price on FFG for stepping in their territory but not so much they will throw away perfectly good money.

44 minutes ago, jhaelen said:

With X-Wing selling as well as it is, and being if I remember correcting in the top 5 war games I don't think Disney will pull it from FFG, at least not unless they as someone mentioned above bought Hasbro and felt they could do it better, which eh, I doubt.

21 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

This is heartbreaking, and I don't even play this game!

Shh my sweet summer child, the pain will be over soon. Just close your eyes and let the eradication of the game you love and have paid a lot of money for wash over you and be released..

Android Netrunner was the last FF product line I was interested in purchasing.

First they stopped producing Descent 2.

Then they dropped the ball on the Lord of the Rings LCG, and releases have dragged to a snail's pace.

Then I got in on Arkham Horror LCG, but lost interest after I couldn't get the new releases.

Then they stopped producing Eldritch Horror.

Was just about to get in on X-Wing but then they announced 2nd edition.

And now Android Netrunner.

Distribution, design, or licensing - doesn't matter the reason, I just don't trust the Fantasy Flight brand anymore.

Edited by Jeffrey Paul

It would not surprise me if this was not even a WotC decision but one made by Hasbro.

Asmodee is threatening to them. So if they can punch back even just a little they could be willing to do so.

33 minutes ago, Reaver027 said:

It would not surprise me if this was not even a WotC decision but one made by Hasbro.

Asmodee is threatening to them. So if they can punch back even just a little they could be willing to do so.

It is an odd relationship but Netrunner wasn't threatening anything Hasbro is doing and businesses typically don't throw away perfectly good money. Chances are the sells weren't there and FFG decided to not throw perfectly good money away on a license. Anyways, they seem to be very happy with L5R these days.

50 minutes ago, Mep said:

Chances are the sells weren't there and FFG decided to not throw perfectly good money away on a license. Anyways, they seem to be very happy with L5R these days.

If the sells weren't there because the product wasn't being distributed. I preordered a copy of the new Netrunner starter when it was announced in 2017, and still haven't got one. My FLGS ordered some and has never received any either.