Wasp and Fox confirmed

By Coyote Walks, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

Along with Centipede and Hare. Look closely.

https://imgur.com/a/JYS1IUn

A sample oT12Nzc.jpg

Broken Wave City on Kaigen's Island has been renamed Castle of the Cat....

Also (just because....)

12 minutes ago, Coyote Walks said:

Along with Centipede and Hare. Look closely.

https://imgur.com/a/JYS1IUn

A sample oT12Nzc.jpg

Broken Wave City on Kaigen's Island has been renamed Castle of the Cat....

Is it just me or did they move Castle of the Wasp as I thought it was supposed to be on the border or Lion and Scorpion lands?

I saw the Castle of the Cat and am wondering if there's going to be a Cat Clan?

Other interesting things:

• Centipede are back were they were originally.
  • There's a Tsuma location about where I'd expect the Tsume to be.
  • The City of the Rich Frog appears

I see Dragonfly as well.

might be nostalgia, but for flavor, I liked better when it was called Kyuden Ashinagabashi.

Seems they decided to do without using the old traditional names, like Kyuden Doji, Shiro Mirumoto, kenson gakka...

Weird is not using Kyuden Bayushi and Kyuden Isawa while those are confirmed stronghold names in the LCG.

This map always makes me wonder WTF are the crane doing up Toshi Ranbo, quite far in terms of supply lines.

3 hours ago, Swordbreaker said:

I see Dragonfly as well.

They were already confirmed.

Just now, Tonbo Karasu said:

They were already confirmed.

Now we're twice as sure.

6 minutes ago, Swordbreaker said:

Now we're twice as sure.

I'm not complaining. :)

I also see the Sparrow.

4 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I saw the Castle of the Cat and am wondering if there's going to be a Cat Clan?

It seems they are repurposing Kaigen's Island, so maybe?

Other interesting things:

• There's a Tsuma location about where I'd expect the Tsume to be.

The Tsume used to be in Kintani Valley, IE near Toshi Ranbo.

Tsuma as always been the location of the Topaz Championship and it has, roughly, been in that area since 4th edition.

1 hour ago, Nitenman said:

might be nostalgia, but for flavor, I liked better when it was called Kyuden Ashinagabashi.

Seems they decided to do without using the old traditional names, like Kyuden Doji, Shiro Mirumoto, kenson gakka...

Weird is not using Kyuden Bayushi and Kyuden Isawa while those are confirmed stronghold names in the LCG.

This is from the Beginner's Box for the RPG, so I'm pretty sure the intent is to present new players (the key targets of the Beginner's Box what with them being, you know, beginners) with digestible information. Kyuden Ashinagabachi is a daunting mouthful for someone trying to wrap their mind around this whole new, richly detailed world with all its clans and things. Or, to put it another way, it still is Kyuden Ashinigabachi, which translates to "Castle of the Wasp".

It seems they are repurposing Kaigen's Island, so maybe?

Kaigen's Island doesn't exist. Remember, it was created by the joint actions of the Phoenix and Mantis during the War of Fire and Thunder, to destroy their suddenly-mutual enemy, the corrupted Mantis fleet known as the Dark Wave. That said, there DOES appear to be an island there, with the "Castle of the Cat" upon it. But it's not Kaigen's Island; rather, it's an island that's already there (and might give a strong hint about the likelihood of reprising the whole War of Fire and Thunder/Dark Wave thing. I'm not saying that for sure--I honestly don't know--but I have my doubts that the story will ever head back in that direction).

43 minutes ago, Suzume Chikahisa said:

The Tsume used to be in Kintani Valley, IE near Toshi Ranbo.

Indeed, the Tsuma on the map is different from the Tsume Castle in the Kintani Valley. Or it had better be, or there's going to be an inconsistency in something I wrote!

3 hours ago, Nitenman said:

This map always makes me wonder WTF are the crane doing up Toshi Ranbo, quite far in terms of supply lines.

He who controls Toshi Ranbo controls the North.

-Baron Harkonnen

Wait, no...

Considering that the Phoenix and Mantis created a new island and the Mantis just claimed it, and no mention was ever made of the Throne being apprised that it controlled new land?

I'd be quite happy to see that swept under the rug- and not just because it represented one in a long line of "the Phoenix are duped and now they get to lose a war that they basically initiated" stories from the old lore.

11 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Considering that the Phoenix and Mantis created a new island and the Mantis just claimed it, and no mention was ever made of the Throne being apprised that it controlled new land?

I'd be quite happy to see that swept under the rug- and not just because it represented one in a long line of "the Phoenix are duped and now they get to lose a war that they basically initiated" stories from the old lore.

In fairness the Mantis charter from the Toturi era did give them stewardship over all the lands that were not controlled by the clans (which was used for their justification for the invasion of the Phoenix since they were so depleted post clan war they could not manage their own lands).

Eh, like anybody's charters meant a **** of a lot by the War of Fire and Thunder... and they still should have had some mention of the Imperials going, "okay, we need to assess that island for taxes."

On 6/6/2018 at 3:16 PM, Nitenman said:

It would be nice for some official word on this. Perhaps the Crane can keep it reinforced via the river? Either that or perhaps there may be an Imperial road they can use that follows the southern bank of the river allll the way from Otosan Uchi?

Edited by Eisenmerc
9 hours ago, Eisenmerc said:

It would be nice for some official word on this. Perhaps the Crane can keep it reinforced via the river? Either that or perhaps there may be an Imperial road they can use that follows the southern bank of the river allll the way from Otosan Uchi?

The Crane have a holding not far from Toshi Ranbo--Kyuden Kyotei, the ancestral home of the Crane vassal family, the Tsume. It's located a short distance from Toshi Ranbo, to the south and east. I have to say "a short distance" because, of course, we don't have a scaled map of Rokugan available. However, it's close enough to allow for effective reinforcement and logistics support of Crane forces in the city. At the time of the current story, the Lion and Crane have confined their "disagreement" to the immediate vicinity of Toshi Ranbo. It would make good strategic sense for the Lion to attack the Tsume castle and effectively cut off the Crane from the city, but attacking a Crane holding would require an Imperial-sanctioned declaration of war between the two clans and the Lion haven't petitioned the Throne for that (yet). In the meantime, then, the Crane continue to support their conflict with the Lion from the Tsume castle in hopes of finally seizing the city and gaining effective control over the nearby Osari Plains (they're running low on food because of the tsunamis that ravaged their coastal lands, remember, and the Osari Plains are their best chance for new arable lands.)

40 minutes ago, DGLaderoute said:

The Crane have a holding not far from Toshi Ranbo--Kyuden Kyotei, the ancestral home of the Crane vassal family, the Tsume. It's located a short distance from Toshi Ranbo, to the south and east. I have to say "a short distance" because, of course, we don't have a scaled map of Rokugan available. However, it's close enough to allow for effective reinforcement and logistics support of Crane forces in the city. At the time of the current story, the Lion and Crane have confined their "disagreement" to the immediate vicinity of Toshi Ranbo. It would make good strategic sense for the Lion to attack the Tsume castle and effectively cut off the Crane from the city, but attacking a Crane holding would require an Imperial-sanctioned declaration of war between the two clans and the Lion haven't petitioned the Throne for that (yet). In the meantime, then, the Crane continue to support their conflict with the Lion from the Tsume castle in hopes of finally seizing the city and gaining effective control over the nearby Osari Plains (they're running low on food because of the tsunamis that ravaged their coastal lands, remember, and the Osari Plains are their best chance for new arable lands.)

Sadly from Kotei results looks like the most likely results we should expect are the Scorpion or Crab will be put in charge of the city to act as a buffer between the Lion and Crane.

Even if called "ancestral" home of the Tsume, Kyotei castle was actually home of the Damasu, wiped out by Tsume Retsu in 1118. So barely 5 years. And I'm not even sure that attack on the Damasu had been sanctioned by imperials.

The Tsume came from a small holding in neighboring Kitani valley.

Then along came Matsu Gohei :)

Edited by Nitenman
12 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

Even if called "ancestral" home of the Tsume, Kyotei castle was actually home of the Damasu, wiped out by Tsume Retsu in 1118. So barely 5 years. And I'm not even sure that attack on the Damasu had been sanctioned by imperials.

The Tsume came from a small holding in neighboring Kitani valley.

Then along came Matsu Gohei :)

Indeed, in the old canon this was true.

1 minute ago, DGLaderoute said:

Indeed, in the old canon this was true.

can't wait for an official Dawn of the Empire till present days timeline from FFG, to see what is still canon.

12 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Sadly from Kotei results looks like the most likely results we should expect are the Scorpion or Crab will be put in charge of the city to act as a buffer between the Lion and Crane.

I hope it’s Crab. Their only interest in the city is the near Jade Mines, and they also could use Toshi Ranbo as an asset in negotiations to get more men and weapons. And as a Phoenix, I prefer to deal with Crab near our lands than Scorpion.

As a phoenix supporter too, I'd rather deal with educated scorpion that respect traditional magic, and their respected Soshi scholars than brutish crabs with their bizarre and dubious Kuni.

plus Bayushi was Shiba's twin, so scorpions are Phoenix's cousins.

I bet Tadaka would love it if there were Crab right on his doorstep.