My impressions from Legion Tournament in Birmingham

By Tokra, in Battle Reports

I have been on the legion tournament at the UK game expo this weekend.

After this i just wanted to give my impressions (MY, subjective, not general...).
But from what what i saw, legion is no good tournament game right now (because of the rules, the meta and because there are so few units).

First of all i REALLY dislike the tournament rules and the structure for it. Win/Loss with 2 hours, number of rounds like Armada and SoS as first tiebreak are stupid. I don't really know how many we were, but 32 did register. The plan was to do 3 rounds. This means 4 player with 3 wins in the end. And the SoS is no real good Tiebreaker for this to decide a "winner".
In the end we have done 4 rounds. But even with this there should be 2 player with 4 wins. So no clear winner.
This might be fine for cassual tournaments or games. But if they want to make legion as a "real" tournament game, they really have to rewrite the rules. Or find a way to make a difference point system like it is with Aramada.

Second is the Meta. I was playing only with what i had. I didn't really expect anything with this list. I even expected to loose all matches. I had never done a 800 point match so far, and i have no real list. I just added all i have (AT-ST, 1x Speeder Bikes, Vader, Veers, some Trooper).
But all 4 matches were against exact the same Rebel Lists. For two reasons.
- The game just favors activations (even worse than Armada does). More units, especially Trooper, means better chances. So Basiacally: 2 generals, 6 Corps. Rest the cheapest you can use. And this is exactly what i was playing against. Luke, Leia, 6 Corps (mix of Fleet and Rebel Troppers). Rest 2-3 AT-RT.
- There are not enough units to make so many different lists (at least for rebels).

I am not even sure if there has been any Airspeeder at all. Yes, i saw a few AT-ST, but because of the way the game is working (Victory points as only win condition) it cannot really work on most missions (at least it did not work well for me). The only one that i could really play was the " Recover The Supplies". Because each side will get his two tokens, and there will be only a fight for the middle one (at least this way in the game i had it). In this case you can use the AT-ST to attack all that are going for the middle.
Intercept The Transmissions need trooper, Breakthrough and Key Positions need more units (again in favor of 6 corps). And depending on the terrain it means you might not even be able to cover/protect these tokens with the AT-ST.
After the 4th round i was a bit annoyed that i was playing 4 times against the same list. But on the second thought, there is no other list that you can play right now if you don't want to play the Airspeeder (i was told that it is really bad). You can only use a max. of 3 AT-RT. And you can only play two Generals. The possibilites for lists are really limited right now. The 6 corp units even had each the Z-6. I just assume it is really hard to even fill the 800 points right now (unless you add an Airspeeder).
The current meta is so limited because there are no alternative "expensive" units right now. The game is missing the vehicles. And it might become even worse with Han and the Commandos (kicking out the AT-RT for more Troopers).

Third is the terrain. Yes, lot of terrain is good and should be done. But We had some maps so filled with buildings that it was not even possible to move the AT-ST around (not to mention an Airspeed, that would just have crashed in one building after another, some were to high for an Airspeeder with Speeder 2). Troopers could just move around really free and just hide from the Walker. It is really hard when the game is already in favor of more cheap units. But if the terrain is making a big vehicle even useless, it is really not helping at all. It only will lead to lists with no big vehicles at all, because they cannot be used.
Why should you use an AT-ST with Mortar Launcher, when you can never fire it, because you have no clear line of sight.

Fourth: This might be really a subjetive notice from me. But i find the rebels are way superiour to imperials right now. They are cheaper and in some kinds better.
Rebel Troopers vs. Stormtroopers. They are really about the same (red defense, white attack and attack surge for the Imperials, black attack, white defense and defense surge for the Rebels). And still, the imperals cost 10% more.
Nearly each Rebel Trooper unit had a Z-6 Trooper. This seems to be an auto include. A unit that can add 6 white dice on range 3 is just to good for 22 points. Thats half of the points of a full imperial squad (yes, it missing the attack surge...). But it adds 6 white dice. For only 22 points. I find this one really insane (and way better than the DLT-19).

When i compare Luke and Vader, i really cannot see why Vader cost 40 points more (25% more than Luke). Luke is so much better with speed 2, Jump, Son of Skywalker, surge to crit.
Yes, Vader is also great, when he can get into range. But with only Speed 1 and no jump it is way more difficult for him. Once he is in range, he is deadly. No question about it. Even the Saber throw, with 3 red, Impact 3, Pierce 3 is really good. But is this really worth the 50 more points compared to Luke?
Especially when you take the Son of Skywalker. A 1 pip card that give this ability is just insane. It should have been 2 or 3 (IMO!). Yes, Vader can get a second attack as well with his 1 pip. But for this he suffer one damage, you have to draw it again, and your opponent can react to it with another activation. For the Son of Skywalker it comes all to the terrain again. But on the maps we had it was really no problem for Luke to get into range of any unit he want, and just "jump" it and kill it (unless you totally mess up the dice, but this is bad luck and not so common).

Next are Leia and Veers. Yes, Veers is cheaper. But Leia seems to be so much better. Inspire 2 (instead of 1 for Veers). Sharpshooter 2 (instead of 1 for Veers), Nimble, for endless Dodge Tokens, Take Cover, for free Dodge Tokens (and endless ones for the Rebel Troopers). Offense and Defense Surge (but only a white defense). I was even surprissed that she cost more than Veers, i was expecing a 70 point card.

Last point was the legal product part. This one really does not matter this much. Especially because i could not have played rebels at all, because i didn't buy anything but the core set for them.
Leia and the Fleet tropper were legal for the tournament. But the sad part is, that you could not buy them at the expo. This is really a big problem in general. In Germany they were hard to get. If you did not preorder them, you had nearly no chance to get them (unless you want to pay a really insane price for them, and might have a delivery time of more than one week). They were sold out in all my normal stores in the first day. Next release in a few month. I was checking each store at the UK Game Expo. Not one had Leia or the Fleet Troopers (i was checking on the first day). I asked a few, and they said: sold out before the expo.
The problem i see with this is, if FFG is giving out this few with the first print, they should not make them tournament legal. It is really not nice if there is a rebel player who just cannot play the newest set, because they made such a limited first print.
But as i said, it did not matter for me, and i was not expecting anything with my list. So there was no difference if the opponent had Leia or the Fleet Troopers. But it was a bad suprises. I did not check Leia or her abilites, because she should not have matter for this tournament (legal 11 days after, so from 4th).

In the end i have to say it was a fun tournament. Even when i see some problems with the game. The normal rules were, more or less, fine. Even when i really find the Line of Sight rules a little bit strange/confusing. And a bit to extreme abuseable (hidding the unit behind cover and only keeping the leader out is abusing, i hope no one is denying this).

Well I know a bloke that probably played your tournament with an imperial list with veers, 6 squads of DLT stormtroopers and 3 speeder bikes and won all his games. I'd say the Imperials have access to the best units right now overall:
- Stormtroopers have the range advantage forcing the rebels in, which in turns makes it easier to aim+shoot which the stormtroopers are good at
- Speederbikes are probably the most cost efficient unit in the game right now, with the compulsory move being both good and bad but not a massive handicap unlike for the airspeeder.
- Snowtroopers with flamethrowers and 'nades are both tough and dangerous for various builds
- Vader is a rockstar that everyone fears

In stark contrast, for the rebs :
- The airspeeder is just plain bad (hard to manoeuver, poor range for its vulnerability... It's badly designed IMO, too bad for a good looking model I enjoyed painting.
- Troopers that require cover to actually work, or with optimal order activations.
- Better commanders (leia's orbital strike is arguably better than veer's, she ignores cover, has a better inspire, while Luke is able to move around as he pleases, to his own risk often)
- Fleet troopers have a keyword that is only ever used on very specific scenarios.

For the tournament rules issues, I'm not sure I really understood them, but the overall feel was that it was not that great so I guess you're probably right.

However, you have to realize that you came in, as you said, with a "to **** with it" list and expected to do decently in a tournament where most players will actually be serious. Tournaments are not fun unless you get there with the proper mindset: I play in some other game's tournaments, not with the slightest hope of getting to the podium but just to have a good laugh and see people playing their way which is a different "meta" than my club. If I went there hoping to just do well with only "what I have", it would most certainly not work that great.

Thanks for the right-up. Always good to hear the experiences from other areas.

Yeah, I think most people agree that the tournament structure is not great from a competitive point of view. To me, it just emphasizes FFG's hobby/casual focus for this game (which is further emphasized by the lack of any "Top X" prizes in the OP kits).

The meta will get a lot more interesting once we have more units available. The release of Leia and Fleet Troopers expanded the Rebels' possibility quite a bit already. Hopefully they weren't too uncommon at the tournament! I hope the size of the print runs improves over time. This is a new game, so I'm sure they wanted to be cautious with the first few releases. Overall, I think the two factions are pretty well-balanced when played to their strengths.

And I just don't agree with all the hate on the airspeeder :) . It's absolutely not a set-it-and-forget-it piece like the AT-ST. It requires forethought and coordination with other units (for an Armada player, this is probably second nature). If you're just kinda lone-wolfing it, I can see its limited effectiveness.

Glad you had fun. Our tournaments around here have been great so far, and I'm sure will only get better as more varied lists are possible.

6 hours ago, Tokra said:

And a bit to extreme abuseable (hidding the unit behind cover and only keeping the leader out is abusing, i hope no one is denying this).

I'm curious: which part do you feel is easily abused?

1 hour ago, nashjaee said:

I'm curious: which part do you feel is easily abused?

Basically standing in front of a cover with the leader, while the rest of the unit is behind the cover.
Range is taken from your Leader, and not from the each mini. This way you have the full cover for the unit, but can attack further, because the leader is at speed 1 ahead of the rest.

This is by far the least problem of the rule (after all it is rather clear and easy). But it just feel a bit strange sometimes.

2 hours ago, Tokra said:

Basically standing in front of a cover with the leader, while the rest of the unit is behind the cover.
Range is taken from your Leader  , and not from the eac   h mini. This  way yo  u hav  e the full cover for th  e unit, b  ut can attack further, because the leader is at speed 1 ahead of the rest.

This is by far the least problem of the rule (after all it is rather clear and easy). But it just feel a bit strange some  times.

While it looks like a gamey way to increase range it is reciprocal. If the enemy leader can reach your leader (at the front) at that range then he can hit all of the troops in the squad regardless of how much further back they are, so long as the cover isn't LoS blocking, in which case they cannot contribute fire to the attack pool in the first place. There is just a concept of nebulosity to the footprint of the squads that sometimes spills over to range but it keeps things fairly simple where other games sometimes end up with complex and exploitable rulesets governing who can shoot who in a squad.

13 hours ago, Tokra said:

I have been on the legion tournament at the UK game expo this weekend.

After this i just wanted to give my impressions (MY, subjective, not general...).
But from what what i saw, legion is no good tournament game right now (because of the rules, the meta and because there are so few units).

First of all i REALLY dislike the tournament rules and the structure for it. Win/Loss with 2 hours, number of rounds like Armada and SoS as first tiebreak are stupid. I don't really know how many we were, but 32 did register. The plan was to do 3 rounds. This means 4 player with 3 wins in the end. And the SoS is no real good Tiebreaker for this to decide a "winner".
In the end we have done 4 rounds. But even with this there should be 2 player with 4 wins. So no clear winner.
This might be fine for cassual tournaments or games. But if they want to make legion as a "real" tournament game, they really have to rewrite the rules. Or find a way to make a difference point system like it is with Aramada.

Second is the Meta. I was playing only with what i had. I didn't really expect anything with this list. I even expected to loose all matches. I had never done a 800 point match so far, and i have no real list. I just added all i have (AT-ST, 1x Speeder Bikes, Vader, Veers, some Trooper).
But all 4 matches were against exact the same Rebel Lists. For two reasons.
- The game just favors activations (even worse than Armada does). More units, especially Trooper, means better chances. So Basiacally: 2 generals, 6 Corps. Rest the cheapest you can use. And this is exactly what i was playing against. Luke, Leia, 6 Corps (mix of Fleet and Rebel Troppers). Rest 2-3 AT-RT.
- There are not enough units to make so many different lists (at least for rebels).

I am not even sure if there has been any Airspeeder at all. Yes, i saw a few AT-ST, but because of the way the game is working (Victory points as only win condition) it cannot really work on most missions (at least it did not work well for me). The only one that i could really play was the " Recover The Supplies". Because each side will get his two tokens, and there will be only a fight for the middle one (at least this way in the game i had it). In this case you can use the AT-ST to attack all that are going for the middle.
Intercept The Transmissions need trooper, Breakthrough and Key Positions need more units (again in favor of 6 corps). And depending on the terrain it means you might not even be able to cover/protect these tokens with the AT-ST.
After the 4th round i was a bit annoyed that i was playing 4 times against the same list. But on the second thought, there is no other list that you can play right now if you don't want to play the Airspeeder (i was told that it is really bad). You can only use a max. of 3 AT-RT. And you can only play two Generals. The possibilites for lists are really limited right now. The 6 corp units even had each the Z-6. I just assume it is really hard to even fill the 800 points right now (unless you add an Airspeeder).
The current meta is so limited because there are no alternative "expensive" units right now. The game is missing the vehicles. And it might become even worse with Han and the Commandos (kicking out the AT-RT for more Troopers).

Third is the terrain. Yes, lot of terrain is good and should be done. But We had some maps so filled with buildings that it was not even possible to move the AT-ST around (not to mention an Airspeed, that would just have crashed in one building after another, some were to high for an Airspeeder with Speeder 2). Troopers could just move around really free and just hide from the Walker. It is really hard when the game is already in favor of more cheap units. But if the terrain is making a big vehicle even useless, it is really not helping at all. It only will lead to lists with no big vehicles at all, because they cannot be used.
Why should you use an AT-ST with Mortar Launcher, when you can never fire it, because you have no clear line of sight.

Fourth: This might be really a subjetive notice from me. But i find the rebels are way superiour to imperials right now. They are cheaper and in some kinds better.
Rebel Troopers vs. Stormtroopers. They are really about the same (red defense, white attack and attack surge for the Imperials, black attack, white defense and defense surge for the Rebels). And still, the imperals cost 10% more.
Nearly each Rebel Trooper unit had a Z-6 Trooper. This seems to be an auto include. A unit that can add 6 white dice on range 3 is just to good for 22 points. Thats half of the points of a full imperial squad (yes, it missing the attack surge...). But it adds 6 white dice. For only 22 points. I find this one really insane (and way better than the DLT-19).

When i compare Luke and Vader, i really cannot see why Vader cost 40 points more (25% more than Luke). Luke is so much better with speed 2, Jump, Son of Skywalker, surge to crit.
Yes, Vader is also great, when he can get into range. But with only Speed 1 and no jump it is way more difficult for him. Once he is in range, he is deadly. No question about it. Even the Saber throw, with 3 red, Impact 3, Pierce 3 is really good. But is this really worth the 50 more points compared to Luke?
Especially when you take the Son of Skywalker. A 1 pip card that give this ability is just insane. It should have been 2 or 3 (IMO!). Yes, Vader can get a second attack as well with his 1 pip. But for this he suffer one damage, you have to draw it again, and your opponent can react to it with another activation. For the Son of Skywalker it comes all to the terrain again. But on the maps we had it was really no problem for Luke to get into range of any unit he want, and just "jump" it and kill it (unless you totally mess up the dice, but this is bad luck and not so common).

Next are Leia and Veers. Yes, Veers is cheaper. But Leia seems to be so much better. Inspire 2 (instead of 1 for Veers). Sharpshooter 2 (instead of 1 for Veers), Nimble, for endless Dodge Tokens, Take Cover, for free Dodge Tokens (and endless ones for the Rebel Troopers). Offense and Defense Surge (but only a white defense). I was even surprissed that she cost more than Veers, i was expecing a 70 point card.

Last point was the legal product part. This one really does not matter this much. Especially because i could not have played rebels at all, because i didn't buy anything but the core set for them.
Leia and the Fleet tropper were legal for the tournament. But the sad part is, that you could not buy them at the expo. This is really a big problem in general. In Germany they were hard to get. If you did not preorder them, you had nearly no chance to get them (unless you want to pay a really insane price for them, and might have a delivery time of more than one week). They were sold out in all my normal stores in the first day. Next release in a few month. I was checking each store at the UK Game Expo. Not one had Leia or the Fleet Troopers (i was checking on the first day). I asked a few, and they said: sold out before the expo.
The problem i see with this is, if FFG is giving out this few with the first print, they should not make them tournament legal. It is really not nice if there is a rebel player who just cannot play the newest set, because they made such a limited first print.
But as i said, it did not matter for me, and i was not expecting anything with my list. So there was no difference if the opponent had Leia or the Fleet Troopers. But it was a bad suprises. I did not check Leia or her abilites, because she should not have matter for this tournament (legal 11 days after, so from 4th).

In the end i have to say it was a fun tournament. Even when i see some problems with the game. The normal rules were, more or less, fine. Even when i really find the Line of Sight rules a little bit strange/confusing. And a bit to extreme abuseable (hidding the unit behind cover and only keeping the leader out is abusing, i hope no one is denying this).

I totally agree with your opinion of the rebels compared to the imperials. I think rebels and rebel trooper spam is alot better right now. And once special forces come out its gonna get worse.

1 hour ago, Gun4hire said:

I totally agree with your opinion of the rebels compared to the imperials. I think rebels and rebel trooper spam is alot better right now. And once special forces come out its gonna get worse.

all you had to do was look at the victory conditions and you knew from there that Troopers will dominate.

Thanks for your thoughts!

7 hours ago, Tokra said:

Range is taken from your Leader, and not from the each mini. This way you have the full cover for the unit, but can attack further, because the leader is at speed 1 ahead of the rest.

This is by far the least problem of the rule (after all it is rather clear and easy). But it just feel a bit strange sometimes.

I don't see what's strange about a leader standing at the front of his squad. He's leading, he should be in the front. And range goes both ways.

Edited by Contrapulator

Biggest 'problem' I can see is that with 2 hours for a game is its more like a 40k or WFB tournament than Xwing.

This means when deciding a sensible winner takes 6+ rounds you need 2 days to play. A one day event of Legion will be more like "fun games" rather than hyper-competitive due to not enough games etc for 'swiss' to kick in and determine a 'real' winner.

I do like the game though :-) and I think balance / choice etc is just fine.

2 hours ago, Contrapulator said:

Thanks for your thoughts!

I don't see what's strange about a leader standing at the front of his squad. He's leading, he should be in the front. And range goes both way  s.

It would be easier if you meassure the range for all minis to all minis. Only these that are in range can be killed, only these that are in range can shot (like they did with the line of sight).
Right now you can shot with minis that are out of range of the shooting one, and kill even some that are out of range of the leader. Giving a maximum range of 3 (or 4 for DTL) +2x speed 1.

This whole rules look so mixed up. True line of sight, with checking each mini to each mini (who can be seen, who can see). But for range its a simple "Leader -> closest". Somehow it seems like different people did different parts of the rules. And one wanted to make a more realistic system, the second want a simple system.

I am not saying that the current rules are bad, they just feel strange (mixed up).

Well FFG maybe didnt expect people to find cheesy ways to find and exploit loop holes in the rules that go againt common sense. But thats what people do. The first time i saw the leader in front of the barricade thing the conversation went like this

Me: ok, go your turn

Opponent: im moving this dlt unit touching this barricade. Im moving just the unit leader speed 1 in front of the barricade and leaving the other 4 units behind the barricade. Im just within range 4 and fire the dlt.

Me: alright. But it seems kinda silly the only one in range 4 is your unit leader and he doesnt even have the dlt.

Opponent: well the rules dont say I cant

Me: ok, why did you keep the rest of your guys behind the barricade like that?

Opponent: well now the whole unit gets heavy cover, the unit leader is in front of the barricade so theres no obstruction to shoot through. And i can get extra range while still keeping heavy cover

Me: ok i guess

Opponent: the rules dont say I cant

Me: whatever lol

4 hours ago, Tokra said:

It would be easier if you meassure the range for all minis to all minis. Only these that are in range can be killed, only these that are in range can shot (like they did with the line of sight).

I think it's just the way the rules are written that makes it seem difficult. I look at it this way:

1. Measure range from your leader to the closest figure in the enemy unit.
  2. If your figure can see any figure in the enemy unit, it can shoot.
  3. If an enemy figure can be seen by any of your figures, it can take wounds.
  4. If something is obscuring at least half of the figures in the enemy unit, add cover.
Edited by Contrapulator
4 hours ago, Tokra said:

Right now you can shot with minis that are out of range of the shooting one, and kill even some that are out of range of the leader. Giving a maximum range of 3 (or 4 for DTL) +2x speed 1.

This whole rules look so mixed up. True line of sight, with checking each mini to each mini (who can be seen, who can see). But for range its a simple "Leader -> closest". Somehow it seems like different people did different parts of the rules. And one wanted to make a more realistic system, the second want a simple system.   

I am not saying that the current rules are bad, they just feel strange (mixed up).

The problem with your argument is that entire idea of an absolute range beyond which targets cannot be hit is itself inherently unrealistic. Unguided weapon fire typically declines off in accuracy over a great range long before it fails ballistically. Most games use arbitrary absolute ranges purely for convenience and playability. If in the same circumstances you were required to measure from figure to figure but the range bands were a (arbitrarily) few centimeters longer then you wouldn't bat an eyelid if all the figures could be targeted. So why does it actually matter when it goes both ways and both players understand it?

In modern turn based games "simulative" realism is pretty much unachievable - and few designers attempt it. Instead most games now attempt an emulative approach - trying to get the final results right and ideas like squad cohesion , range and line of sight can be fairly simple and abstract so long as they can well defined. Line of sight is WYSIWIG just because that is also the simplest and most unambiguous way of doing it. But shooting from figure to figure is not the easy as you would think when you run into situations where each shooter can hit a different subset of targets. Then you end up with each shot being resolved separately and a complex set of rules to arbitrate hit assigment. And there's plenty of scope for gamey exploitation by unscrupulous players.

If you need to get your head around it then just view the position of minis in the squad as defining the broad area which the squad occupies and the position of the other teams as being approximately where they are - especially bear in mind that any squad will "realistically" be anywhere between where it was the turn before and where it could be the next turn. So long as you understand the rules and the opponent understands the rules and you know when and who you can shoot and who can shoot back and the final results are sensible then there really isn't a case for a false dichotomy of "realism" versus "simplicity".

Alex Davy was about at the end of the tournament. The winners had a chat with him and the scoring system was mentioned, his response seemed to imply they are open to other ideas. I think they were partly using this tournament to test the whole process a little.

He also joked the rules update was on its way, fingers crossed on that one!

What tournament was this? What were the top lists?

Do some math. Z6 is bad as ****, no matter what. 1,5 hit stat, which is 1 on dices, - 1 at least with cover, bim, negate.

8 hours ago, Gun4hire said:

What tournament was this? What were the top lists?

It was the uk games expo.

19 hours ago, RaevenKS said:

Do some math. Z6 is bad as ****, no matter what. 1,5 hit stat, which is 1 on dices, - 1 at least with cover, bim, negate.

Well, it's a good example of stats not saying the whole truth.
It just throws so many dice that it has an amplitude of possible results, meaning that it often doesn't do jack but sometimes does 4 crits jsut because you're throwing so many dice.

I mean, 5 black + 6 whites, that's basically a garanteed crit, and you can keep him for last meaning you're always assured until your squad is wiped that you will have around 0.75 crits. I don't particularly like it though.

Edited by Deuzerre

Overall, Imperial units are more consistent with less dependence on cover and what not, rebel units are much spikier, so they may die to 1 volley or miss with every shot or alternatively land 5 crits. and never die coz cover and dodge...

The terrain and cover rules are not only fine, but actually Ideal. While it may be jarring to some of you to have the leader the only one who matters for range, or the leader to be in front of a barricade and the squad behind it granting heavy cover, the alternatives are MUCH much worse.

Legion's terrain, cohesion, movement and cover abstractions are a godsend if you've played more complex and grossly bloated game systems where your opponent spends 5 minutes moving to get the formation of a squad JUST right so that he has cover, but denies it to you and won't have to lose the heavy weapon first but still be in range....

It sounds like the tournament had too much cover and scattered terrain, which would heavily favor rebels. FFG will probably address this soon, as again, the game's in it's infancy, give it a chance to find it's legs and to let OP figure out how to run these tourneys as best as they can.

On 6/5/2018 at 1:34 PM, Tokra said:

In Germany   they were hard to get. If you did not preorder them, you had nearly no chance to get them (unless you want  to pay a really insane price for them, and might have a delivery time of more than one week). They     were sold out in all my normal stores in the firs  t  d  ay.     

Interesting. I live in germany and I had no problem getting them without preordering at my local store. I even bought another pack of them a few days ago.

LoL, every other post seems to state Rebs are OP and the next Imperial s are OP, guess they must be balanced then? ?

Hope to see more varied list in the future though, I'd be bored stiff playing against the same thing every time.

I feel that as far as FFG games go, Legion is remarkably well balanced.

That is, until the Weequay Pirates expansion is released. They'll have Speed 3, red die defense w surge, red dice offense with surge, Pierce 3, Sharpshooter 2, can reroll both theirs and the defenders dice while attacking, etc, etc.

Oh wait that's Imperial Assault. Let's hope they learned fron their past mistakes lol.