Indiana Jones

By Jareddw, in Your Settings

On 2/7/2019 at 5:29 PM, Jareddw said:

I just uploaded my version of Indiana Jones major players from Raiders to the GoogleDrive. TOD, TLC, KotCS, and Expanded Universe still to come. Let me know what you think.

Checking these out now! I will post my comments soon.

Edited by daddystabz
Update

You were sincere when you say you tend to stat characters a tad lower than what fanboys might judge them. I would have had Sallah's Brawn score a bit higher and I would have thought Indy might deserve a Brawn 3.

I could see Indy getting a 3 in Brawn. I think I evened it out with higher skills, but I wanted Sallah to be more of a "people person" where he knew everyone. Also, watching the movies, he doesn't demonstrate strength or fighting abilities really.

You have done amazing work! Please keep up the good stuff! Mor eNPCs and character writeups, etc. would be awesome. More adventures would be fantastic! I'd even love to have conversions of the adventures from the TSR and West End Games versions.

Wow, can't believe I just found this! Excellent material. I'm starting a new gaming group and we're circling a few sessions of Star Wars. But I was thinking of mixing in some Savage Worlds Pulp/Realms of Cthulhu. I think Genesys IJ may be the answer I was looking for since it won't require the PCs learning a completely new ruleset!

Glad you liked it. I'd love to hear about any adventures you design or play. If you played one of the ones I put together, let me know how it goes.

You can have an "evil cult" which worships the ancient Babylonia Sea God Dagon, or something like that as little bits of Cthulhu-esque thrown it. You may dug up an artifact and now they need it to compete a ritual which may or may not bring in the apocalypse.

If you want ties to Miskatonic University, you could do that. You could even essentially redo Crystal Skull's plot. A colleague from Miskatonic has discovered an artifact which seems to drive people mad, as well as be wanted by the Russians for its supposed magical/psychic properties...and hijinks ensues.

The World of Indiana Jones is one of my favorite sandboxes to play in.

I just found this! This is really great work, thank you for that! đź‘Ť

5 hours ago, PzVIE said:

I just found this! This is really great work, thank you for that! đź‘Ť

Thank you,

I've been working on updating the RPG since we've gotten more information (Player's Guide). So I'll let everyone know when I post that version.

Let me know how it works from a playtesting perspective.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:15 PM, Jareddw said:

Let me know how it works from a playtesting perspective.

We’re currently playing a Call of Cthulhu campaign, but last Friday, one of the guys was missing so I jumped in and offered to GM a one-shot using your Genesys I ndiana Jones setting . Before Cthulhu, we played an Edge of the Empire campaign for nearly two years, so everybody was familiar with the Genesys basic rules. So, here's a few observations from a "playtesting" perspective (although, it didn't feel like playtesting - it was a fully enjoyable RPG night).

We created three characters from scratch (Laborer/Soldier, Aristocrat/Scoundrel, Average Human/Doctor) and I used the Eye of Kilquato adventure you provided. Character creation took 1 hour, and the adventure 5 and a half. Well, it was a huge success! I tried to follow your guidelines in chapter 1, and everybody liked the tone and the setting. The adventure was a perfect choice (however, pretty hard for freshly created characters, and I toned the difficulty down a little; nevertheless, my players complained about the difficulty – they obviously expected a more pulpy game).

Now a few words about your rules set:

When the guys selected their archetypes, we noticed that some classes get 8 class skills, while others only get 7 (my wife – who played the doctor – complained about that; we noticed that Entertainer and Leader also only have 7).

I offered them to add backgrounds, but they all refused. Well, I guess if I would have been a player, I would have selected one; maybe even two. I thought about a random table maybe …? 1 – 50, nothing and then in 5% increments? Dunno. Just a thought.

Glory. A great idea! Although we didn’t use it in the Kilquato adventure, I generally like it and I can easily that this can be a great GM tool … however, when we discussed it, we thought a red challenge die would be more appropriate than a purple difficulty die (mostly because of the Despair symbol which could lead to awkward and memorably situations) , and the characters should start with no dice at all - they surely are Nobodys at the beginning! Now what’s missing is the guidelines … when should they be allowed to upgrade? Maybe every 100 XP earned or so? They earn a green die first, and then another green one? Or should they upgrade the green to yellow first? You might want to add some guidelines here. It could also be depend on the planned length of the campaign ...

I offered them a free tier I Talent at character creation, so we spent a little time to browse through the tier I offers. Nothing to complain here, these seem all good choices for the setting. As I badly miss the Talent trees from Star Wars in the Genesys game (it makes character much more different from one another than the “choose-whatever-you-like” tier-method), more Talents to select from would be great, but in fact, there’s enough for a good campaign.

When we came to the equipment section, the soldier selected a shotgun, the aristocrat took a rapier and the doctor a machete. My wife complained that the machete is so much worse compared to the rapier. She might be right here … also, the machete is missing Enc and HP values. I assumed 1 Enc and 0 HP as the right choice. A sword in Genesys’ Fantasy setting has Enc 1; why does the rapier and the katana have 3? Generally, the characters quickly reached their Enc limits after weapon selection. Also rocket launcher and rifle – both have an Enc of 4 … there was a little discussion about the whole Enc system for the Indiana Jones setting with the overall tenor, that the Enc values are probably a little too high, and that sometimes half-point values could be used. Well, minor things. However, everybody agreed that if we play again, they all will get them at least a revolver (as I mentioned, the adventure is pretty tough for 0 XP characters).

The NPC section is really great – for me as GM, that is one of the most important sections of any RPG. I like to improvise and so I am often in need of quick NPCs. I totally valued the NPC cards from the Star Wars setting – those were extremely useful to me. The NPCs in your book: as I said, great, but I would love to see much more! E xpanded with traders, various craftsmen and other professions (cook, butler, lady … maybe also Wehrmacht officers and soldiers). Again, I find this section the most useful tool for me as a GM.

Bottom Line: Thank you for doing that. This is really great work! I do have many of the West End Games Indiana Jones books, although I never played them. Using the Genesys system and your rules set, seems to be a perfect choice for that setting. I might use some of those old WEG adventures for future Indy one-shots. An expanded NPC section would help a lot!

Cheers,

Ron

Edited by PzVIE

Awesome Man!

I've only played through the intro adventure as well. I just haven't had the gaming group to do so. I see some of the critiques, and see about updating the rulebook.

I wrote a short article on RPGGeek too!

Maybe some groups want to try this out, but haven't heard from it yet. :)

Edited by PzVIE

Do you have a link for that article? I'd love to see it.

Thanks in advance,

I have been a huge Indiana Jones fan since childhood. I have the TSR books and the WEG basic manual, although I have never played them. Adapting the Genesys system to Indiana Jones seems like a perfect choice to me. Thank you for your work! Is awesome. I haven't had a chance to play yet but I hope to do so soon. I am from Spain and I am working on a translation for my future players and I have used some typical Indiana Jones symbols for the dice. I'm also working on an extension for Fantasy Grounds, as I usually use it to play games. I intend to play Indiana Jones as if it were one of his movies, focusing on the story and putting the leveling up aside. When I play I will tell you my impressions.

A70DDD9A-6836-4B70-8445-44E0969D2162.jpeg

Edited by Juanruni87

Sorry. Repeated post

Edited by Juanruni87
On 10/2/2020 at 8:41 PM, Juanruni87 said:

I have been a huge Indiana Jones fan since childhood. I have the TSR books and the WEG basic manual, although I have never played them. Adapting the Genesys system to Indiana Jones seems like a perfect choice to me. Thank you for your work! Is awesome. I haven't had a chance to play yet but I hope to do so soon. I am from Spain and I am working on a translation for my future players and I have used some typical Indiana Jones symbols for the dice. I'm also working on an extension for Fantasy Grounds, as I usually use it to play games. I intend to play Indiana Jones as if it were one of his movies, focusing on the story and putting the leveling up aside. When I play I will tell you my impressions.

A70DDD9A-6836-4B70-8445-44E0969D2162.jpeg

Add me to your game!!!! LOL

Would you be willing to share your Indy theme for FG?

Of course! When I finish the ruleset I will publish it.

Awesome! Glad it is helpful. I'd love to hear your impression.

I think PzVIE's impression is right, in that the initial game "Eye of Kulquato" might require the PC's to add 100 Xp. The Temple of Set game might be more appropriate for beginners.

If I can help in any way with your stuff, let me know...

On 10/7/2020 at 5:42 AM, Juanruni87 said:

On 10/7/2020 at 5:42 AM, Juanruni87 said:

That is great news! Thanks!

On 10/6/2020 at 11:55 PM, daddystabz said:

I have used some typical Indiana Jones symbols for the dice

I'd love to see/get some Indiana Jones Genesys dice... where are you getting them? If you get them can I order a couple sets with you?

At the moment, I have only designed the dice for the FG ruleset. I have them in png format. I show you a screenshot of what the ruleset dice look like. When I have time I want to design them into larger images to make stickers and use them with dice that I have from Warhammer roleplay 3rd. Everything I do I will leave it here.

9370ECD3-7329-42F7-9B56-154DDD6CA24B.jpeg

Edited by Juanruni87

My idea is to do something like that... hat - success; whip - advantage

F7998D80-796D-457B-BF08-D8E3BF4F8BB5.jpeg

Edited by Juanruni87

Brilliant work! Eager to dive into this setting.

Thank you very much for a wonderful effort

Okay, you guys using my files have inspired me.

I updated the Indiana Jones Settings book. I fixed the couple flaws others saw (missing Career skills, too much Encumbrance), and put in the Genesys friendly stat blocks. Please enjoy, and continue to let me know of any mistakes I have.

Oh, I totally like what you've done with the layout! Great work!!! Thank you!