End of turn Fate suggestion

By Hituro, in L5R LCG: Multiplayer Beta Discussion

We've only played a couple of games of multiplayer so far (more this weekend hopefully) but we loved them.

The only thing that didn't seem right was how end of turn Fate was handled, because it is entirely possible to screw one player out of Fate simply by not giving him/her any. i.e. there is nothing that requires that a player gets at least one Fate.

Since Fate already seems to be in much shorter supply in multiplayer, our suggested fix was:

At the end of the turn each player puts one Fate from the general pool on an unclaimed ring of each other player.

What are other people's thoughts?

Maybe doing it like “each player puts one Fate from the general pool on a ring in the unclaimed ring pool of the player to their left”

1 hour ago, Tabris2k said:

Maybe doing it like “each player puts one Fate from the general pool on a ring in the unclaimed ring pool of the player to their left”

That could certainly work too, as long as you don't get to starve people. Choosing which ring gets fate is already tactically interesting. We went with the "1 for each" suggestion just to increase the circulating fate, because it seemed in very short supply compared to 2-player

I like this idea. It will give a Little bit more fate. The only downside is that it reduces the ability to hinder runaway leader. If someone is leading a lot, this allows posibility to not give him any extra fate.

so I almost like more idea about getting extra fate in the fate phase depending on the amounth of players. One extra fate / opponent (alive).

Certainly, you also don't want to give fate to a Dragon wielding one or more Seeker of Enlightenment. While a Dragon with an Enlightened Warrior desires to place fate on as many of their opponent's rings as they can.

Perhaps once a player has 3 claimed rings, it is acceptable to omit them from the fate distribution.

A problem mentioned in the forum regarding the unwillingness to attack first early in multiplayer games, got me thinking about placement of fate on rings as an incentive to attack.

What if players, somehow, are rewarded with fate on their own rings for attacking?

Like say. After a player declares a ring, that player puts 1 fate on an unclaimed ring in his or her ring pool if able.