Conjure spells - summoning of creatures

By Armoks, in Realms of Terrinoth

Hi fellow Terrinoth explorers!

I got some difficulties with Summon spell effect (Conjure action). How do you hande it in your games?

Do you allow your PCs to summon everything what they desire? Or do you set some restrictions? What statistics summoned creatures have? And last but not least, does ranks in Knowledge (Lore) have any impact on power of summoned allies?

In my game, outside of structured encounter, I let my player to try to conjure what they want that make sense and help push the story forward.

Before starting I've worked with the player to make a list of creatures of Silhouette 0, 1 and 3 that he can summon along with their stats, that make sense for his background (where the druid come from and what he know). We use the stats from RoT manual (like Lava Elemental or similar creatures).

RAW there no use for Knowledge (Lore), but I can use a check on Lore to see if the character know what he want to conjure or, with a +1 difficulty, he can summon a creature with a Wound Threshold more high (1 Wound for each point in Knowledge (Lore).

On 5/29/2018 at 7:43 AM, Armoks said:

Hi fellow Terrinoth explorers!

I got some difficulties with Summon spell effect (Conjure action). How do you hande it in your games?

Do you allow your PCs to summon everything what they desire? Or do you set some restrictions? What statistics summoned creatures have? And last but not least, does ranks in Knowledge (Lore) have any impact on power of summoned allies?

I created a set of summoning templates to make it a bit easier to summon various minions and rivals. You are welcome to use the templates as is, or adapt them to your own setting. My feeling was that summoned creatures should be, on the whole, less awesome on average than "actual" creatures, but still functional and valuable ingame. The templates eliminate a lot of the variables you might otherwise get with summoned creatures, while presenting unique options for a number of different types of beings you can call on.

The templates are in this folder, under "Delve Summoning Templates". It's the same folder with the Creature Catalogue, etc.

Open Sharing Folder

On 6/2/2018 at 10:59 PM, Direach said:

I created a set of summoning templates to make it a bit easier to summon various minions and rivals. You are welcome to use the templates as is, or adapt them to your own setting. My feeling was that summoned creatures should be, on the whole, less awesome on average than "actual" creatures, but still functional and valuable ingame. The templates eliminate a lot of the variables you might otherwise get with summoned creatures, while presenting unique options for a number of different types of beings you can call on.

The templates are in this folder, under "Delve Summoning Templates". It's the same folder with the Creature Catalogue, etc.

Open Sharing Folder

Thanks for sharing this content, I was thinking something very similar and you've done the work for me!

Players used to defined lists of spells, familiar etc. seem to either have complete paralysis on what to do or go completely nuts. I want to try and keep to the Runebound world of content as possible, so what you've done makes complete sense.

I didn't end up changing this much... I got it pretty much right the first time, for once! And I can attest that this method works pretty well in play; my players summon creatures from time to time, and they perform pretty well, especially against minions, but not so well that the players rely on them too heavily.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:59 PM, Direach said:

Open Sharing Folder

I like this idea of this. how are you handling how many minions they summon and what level (minon/raval/ they summon?

do you base it on difficulty dice if so do you have your guideline?

6 hours ago, adairhammer said:

I like this idea of this. how are you handling how many minions they summon and what level (minon/rival/ they summon?

do you base it on difficulty dice if so do you have your guideline?

Table III.2-8 for Conjuring Effects on page 217 covers how many creatures you summon, and of what adversary category.

if that's the case I think the numbers are off a bit. (there is almost no reason to ever summon a minion based on pure stats (for RP of course, there could be)). you would need 2 advantage for it to have the same hit points, less damage, less soak, higher crit and the same attack skill as your Rival.. only thing it does better is Resilience, Vigilance (with 2 advantage). with 4 advantage it could be slightly better but I still don't think so.

also, what happens when you summon without any addons. Minion group of One?

summon a group(ie minons) cost +1d.

summon a rival cost +1d.

perhaps minions should do more damage and have less hitpoint.. or have more soak, hitpoints but less damage

here is an idea. base on your numbers thoughts?
Summon base -- everthing start with this.
Brawn Agility Intellect Cunning Willpower Presence
3 2 1 2 2 1
Soak 3 Wounds 6 M Def 0 R Def 0
Size:1
skills brawl 2, perception 2, resilience 2, vigilance 2,
attack brawl; damage 4, critcal 4, range[engaged]

summon group: +1D
summons 2 +1 per 2 advanages.
skill replaced with group skill
Wounds: -2 wounds.
damage: +2.
Critical: -1

*Summon Normal: +0D

*Summon Small: -1D( can't lower spell to lower then easy)
Wounds: *.5 wounds.

soak: -1(not sure about this)
damage: -1.
size: -1

*Summon Medium: +1D
Stats: +1 intellect
Skill:+1 brawl skill
Soak: +1
Wounds: *2

*Summon Large: +2D
+1 willpower,+1 intellect

Skill:+1 brawl skill
Soak: +2
Crit: -1
Size: +1
Damage: +2

Wounds: *3
Vicious 1
M/R def:+1

only one star (size) can be used. size is always done last. this is for wounds multiplication reasons.

Edited by adairhammer

You are very welcome to adapt the stuff I came up with to suit your own setting however you wish. I don't see a need to change the parameters of the table for Conjuration difficulty. My goal was to provide easy-to-use templates for different types of summoned creatures.