Paying Fate to Rings

By suburbaknght, in L5R LCG: Multiplayer Beta Discussion

When a card requires you to pay a Fate to a Ring (i.e. Togashi Initiate, Kitsuki Investigator) can you choose one of your own Rings? This seems much more powerful now as you can guarantee that you'll recoup your own Fate later.

When Written in the Stars goes off does it add Fate to all players' unclaimed Rings without Fate / remove a Fate all players' unclaimed Rings? This seems much more powerful now as not only are there a lot more Rings to add Fate to but the game adds Fate to them at a much slower rate.

Oh, dang. I hadn't gotten that far. Excellent question. So much of Dragon's options revolve around this. In addition to other cards, these three really hinge on the question.

L5C01_59.jpg L5C01_60.jpg L5C06_94.jpg

So, we know the following about placing fate on rings at the end of the round.

Placing Fate on Rings

During the Fate phase, instead of placing a fate token from the general token pool on each unclaimed ring, in player order each player chooses a ring token in another player’s unclaimed ring pool and places one fate token from the general token pool on it.

Edited by Duciris

Rings and Card/Game Effects

When a card or game effect refers to one or more claimed or unclaimed rings, it only refers to the ring or rings in the unclaimed ring pool or on the provinces of the controller of the card effect, or by the player resolving the game effect. This rule does not apply to cards that specifically call out rings in an opponent’s claimed ring pool.

40 minutes ago, shineyorkboy said:

Yep, read that a half-dozen times and I'm still not sure how it applies here.

50 minutes ago, suburbaknght said:

Every card that ask to “spend fate to an unclaimed ring” is referring only to your own unclaimed rings. Yes, a turn 1 Written in the Stars can net you a 4 Fate gain.

But then again, if some clan is gonna have an advantage seeking Enlightenment, it sure has to be Dragon.

Edited by Tabris2k
49 minutes ago, suburbaknght said:

It's fairly straightforward when you think about it a bit; It is a little counter-intuitive, but you have to think of them in the new multiplayer meta.

Seeker of Enlightenment is weaker, as she only checks your personal ring pool, which you have less control over which/when they get fate.

Enlightened Warrior is stronger, since it "an opponent" refers to any opponent.

The Stone of Sorrows is insanely powerful as it effects all of your opponents.

Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks! So to be clear:

1. Togashi Initaite, Kitsuki Investigator, and Written in the Stars only spend Fate to my Rings but then allow me to recoup that Fate at my leisure.
  2. Written in the Stars only takes Fate off my own Rings so there's no point to using that effect.
  3. Seeker of Enlightenment only checks for Fate on my Rings but I can leave it there for longer since I can retrieve it at my leisure.
  4. Enlightened Warrior can trigger when any other player attacks and chooses one of their Rings with Fate (seems likely at some point).
  5. Stone of Sorrows screws over all the other players.

Correct?

37 minutes ago, RavenwolfXIII said:

Seeker of Enlightenment is weaker, as she only checks your personal ring pool, which you have less control over which/when they get fate.

Except for the Written in the Stars+Seeker of Enlightenment Turn 1 Combo, that gets you a 6/6 body and a 2 Fate gain (because you spent 3 Fate, but you’ll recover 5 Fate from your rings). But yeah, very marginal situation.

Could it be possible that the opponent is the player that you Are currently attaking? Not all other players...

7 minutes ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Could it be possible that the opponent is the player that you Are currently attaking? Not all other players...

It’s exactly like that. When the cards says “your opponent” or “The opponent” is the player you’re facing during that specific conflict. But if it says “An opponent” is referring to any other player that is not you.

1 hour ago, suburbaknght said:

Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks! So to be clear:

1. Togashi Initaite, Kitsuki Investigator, and Written in the Stars only spend Fate to my Rings but then allow me to recoup that Fate at my leisure.
  2. Written in the Stars only takes Fate off my own Rings so there's no point to using that effect.
  3. Seeker of Enlightenment only checks for Fate on my Rings but I can leave it there for longer since I can retrieve it at my leisure.
  4. Enlightened Warrior can trigger when any other player attacks and chooses one of their Rings with Fate (seems likely at some point).
  5. Stone of Sorrows screws over all the other players.

Correct?

2. Written in the Stars.

You can add 1 to each of your rings also, it's a choice to add or remove. If you add to each of your rings then select a ring, you immediately recoup the cost and have bonus fate each time you select one of them for a conflict. Also, you can permanently (well, much more than in single player) boost Seeker of Enlightenment with Written in the Stars because your opponent can't select those rings.

Hmm. Looks like some Phoenix cards, like Isawa Tadaka, will be more manageable to deal with.

Follow up question: can Jade Masterpiece move fate off of Rings in my opponents' unclaimed pools? If so, can I move it to Rings in my unclaimed pool?

9 minutes ago, suburbaknght said:

Follow up question: can Jade Masterpiece move fate off of Rings in my opponents' unclaimed pools? If so, can I move it to Rings in my unclaimed pool?

Nope. Card effects that refer to claimed or unclaimed ring only refer to rings in their controller's provinces or unclaimed ring pool, except if they specifically refer to rings claimed by an opponent. So you can only move fate between your own unclaimed rings.

Rings and Card/Game Effects
When a card or game effect refers to one or more claimed or unclaimedrings, it only refers to the ring or rings in the unclaimed ring pool or on the provinces of the controller of the card effect, or by the player resolving the game effect. This rule does not apply to cards that specifically call out rings in an opponent’s claimed ring pool.

That's what I thought but I wanted to check.