Corrupt Sheriff is secretly the most powerful entity in the Talisman universe?

By talismanquestions, in Talisman Rules Questions

So...when it says "anyone" is thrown in jail...does that mean anyone in any region or only in the City?

Because if it's anywhere, what is the reasoning for an average human being able to spontaneously reach from the city to anywhere else like the crown of command and pull someone off the crown of command in the Plane of Peril when not even things like blizzards or siren songs reach that far? But if he has that kind of power and he's already corrupt, why is he still just a sheriff? Why isn't he trying to get the crown of command himself or taking control of all the guilds?

Edited by talismanquestions

You can throw anyone in the Jail, no matter where they are (unless they are in the Timescape, obviously:).

He is a very powerful sheriff, indeed. Your question makes me want to make a character in his image. But I wouldn´ t be the first one, I fear.

There's no reasoning, just like there's no reasoning you must move exact number of spaces instead of roll or less.

1 hour ago, Bludgeon said:

There's no reasoning, just like there's no reasoning you must move exact number of spaces instead of roll or less.

If there was no reasoning they wouldn't bother to write the lore and colorful text or even basic rules. The entire premise of the game is that it conforms to the D&D universe.

Beacuse that makes the game more engaging and enjoyable (which is obviously good).

6 hours ago, talismanquestions said:

The entire premise of the game is that it conforms to the D&D universe.

How do you know?

33 minutes ago, Bludgeon said:

Beacuse that makes the game more engaging and enjoyable (which is obviously good).

How is it more enjoyable if there's a flaw in the game's own universe? There's a difference between a plot hole and a mystery. If you hate consistency and prefer utterly random chaos, then a game with many rules like Talisman probably isn't for you. Writers of successful products generally put in a lot of effort into making a universe holistically detailed, so if none of the writing or lore actually matters to the game, then why were they paid to do it? Why did the developers of the game keep saying "yes" to writing, revision after revision?

33 minutes ago, Bludgeon said:

How do you know? 

Because there's literally a dungeon and a dragon on the cover of the game , and if you play it, the die roll mechanic is objectively similar to that of D&D as it is used to make decisions about movement and battle results. In addition, it has in many cases the exact same culmination of mythologies. In fact, I think they're both legally represented by the same company: Hasbro.

Hey guys, the same with Assassin (City Card).
She immediately reaches the target in the center of inner region and takes away 3 lifes just for 3 golds!!!

(I've reprinted 60% of city cards with better effects...)