Identifying Figures in Units

By rasmussen81, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

I’m working on my set of Imperial Assault figures and I’m running into a problem that I thought I would throw out to everyone!

For my Troopers, I want to make it clear which figure is number 1, which guy is number 2, and which is number 3. I put dots on the back edge of the figures’ bases but I can’t see the dots very easily when we’re playing the game. I tried painting 1, 2, and 3 stripes on their shoulder pads thinking that would make it more clear but you can’t really tell between number 2 and 3.

so how have you distinguished the figures in your groups? What works?

I use clear, wide brush marks (about 2mm wide each > so I - II - III) on the side of the bases (at rear). Works ok, until things start getting really crowded.

1 hour ago, 54NCH32 said:

I use clear, wide brush marks (about 2mm wide each > so I - II - III) on the side of the bases (at rear). Works ok, until things start getting really crowded.

This.

I make trapez (?) shaped markings (in unit color) on the flat of the base, 1-2-3 for indicating the number. I found that I was oftentimes hard pressed to see my markings on the side of the base (but also didn't want to use too heavy a color).

5 hours ago, aermet69 said:

I make trapez (?) shaped markings (in unit color) on the flat of the base, 1-2-3 for indicating the number. I found that I was oftentimes hard pressed to see my markings on the side of the base (but also didn't want to use too heavy a color).

Do you paint them freehand or use decals or something else?

I like the low-profile element of having the dots on the back of each base but they're just so hard to see that I wonder about stripes. I'll have to think more about that...

Anyone have pictures they can share of their system?

I'll try and and get something up, I did at one point think of extending the stripes onto the top of the bases by about 2/3mm (so its a bit easier to see when busy... but I haven't yet :)

29 minutes ago, 54NCH32 said:

I'll try and and get something up, I did at one point think of extending the stripes onto the top of the bases by about 2/3mm (so its a bit easier to see when busy... but I haven't yet :)

Ooh, I like that idea. I might give it a try to see how it looks. What color of stripe do you use?

Part of why my dots aren't easy to see could be because I used Silver on all of them but some of the base rings I painted with purple and light blue. So the contrast isn't very high. So did you use a high-contrast color?

Here ya go.

I went white bars for regular, red for elite (although I wish had used a brighter red).

IMG_9228.jpg

Interesting. I like the larger section so I might do that as well. I'm thinking I'll continue the line onto the base because that will certainly make it easier to see.

Thanks for sharing.

12 hours ago, rasmussen81 said:

Do you paint them freehand or use decals or something else?

I like the low-profile element of having the dots on the back of each base but they're just so hard to see that I wonder about stripes. I'll have to think more about that...

Anyone have pictures they can share of their system?

Free hand. I'll take some pics soon.

I paint the rim of the base for each of the token colours (which also match the stickers), plus white and black (I have a few squads of Stormies - but really 4 colours is probably more than adequate), then use roman Numerals on each member (I, II, and III).

There's a basic template available where the Unit card is placed on it and there are three stripes for each of the unit figures. I printed and laminated it, so I can track wounds on each squad member easier.

I run Imperial Guard in the previous version of 40k and have 30 squads of Imperial Guard (and extras) that needed to be easily identified by squad and platoon.

Yeah, I created some documents to help me track damage, which is why I want to be able to keep track of the figures.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/142918

Where on the figures do you paint the Roman numerals? Or are you painting those on the base?

Edited by rasmussen81

I got a bunch of the bases and activation tokens in various colors from Covenant and my group finds them supremely useful.

I use marking on the top of the base, and try to theme them a little bit so they don't look overly 'functional'.

Henm7Whl.jpg