Health Elixir Contradiction?

By BigGreenPickles, in Realms of Terrinoth

The Health Elixir description on page 102 of Realms of Terrinoth says "They do not actually heal injuries, although they can help comfort and stabilize an injured individual" Then, in the next paragraph, the reader is told that the Health Elixir is a painkiller and to see page 116 of the Genesys Core Rulebook.

From page 116 of the Genesys Core Rulebook, "Painkillers are our generic term for consumable auto-healing items..." and then goes on to clearly explain that a character can use a painkiller to heal wounds.

To me this seems a contradiction, am I missing something?

Bonus Oddity:

This Elixir costs 25 silver, works every time, doesn't require a roll, has an encumbrance of 0 and a rarity of 3.

The Regeneration Elixir cost 50 silver, has an encumbrance of 1 and rarity of 4, requires a Resilience check, Successes heal 1 wound, a triumph keeps the healing going into the next round.

If i had to take a guess; i would say that's just fluff to describe how it won't fix broken bones or lost limbs. But recovers wounds on the character sheet as normal.

Health Elixir: Yes, I saw that, too, and wrote it off as contradictory fluff.

Regeneration Elixir: Not subject to pain killer's diminishing returns and has potential for exploding results. My guess is that the potions with Enc 1 are the ones the Dev's think would break the game if you carried 10 to 20 of them around routinely.

They don't heal crits. That's what they mean I'm sure.

It’s splitting hairs. The Genesys explaination was written from a generic, setting agnostic perspective. The RoT description is specific to Terrinoth and how it impliments the painkiller concept.

Even taken literally, the rules are clear Critical Injuries are the life threatening hits which impact a character in a meaningful way and wounds are merely how much damage a character can take before becoming injured and going unconcious. Healing injuries is different from healing wounds and both items say nothing about being able to heal injuries.

Re Bonus: Not sure what you see as odd. Both items recover wounds but have very different restrictions/objectives in how they do it.

Edited by Hinklemar

Thank you all for the thoughtful feedback! I was thinking of the terms Wounds and Injuries as synonymous rather than as wounds and critical injuries. I guess I "tunnel visioned" that one.

Hinklemar: I'll admit I was thinking of their use at the beginning stage of the game before the characters have advanced much, because that's where my players are now. That potion would be quite valuable to a character that has built up the requisite skill.