Faith Points

By hereth37, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I was thinking about making an inverse of corruption points for Adeptus Sororitas and other saintly beings.

First I wanted to see if anyone else has done it for me, but I couldn't find anything. So I'm here looking for ideas or if anyone has something they've made but haven't posted/made easily searchable.

All I've got so far is that I like the alternate rules for corruption in the Radical's Handbook and wanted to do something like that for faith based points. So no holy mutations, more like bonuses to fate points, fear tests and the like.

worked on it a bit, this is what I got: tables didnt' copy over very well...

Faith Points Faith Point Bonus can be used instead of Corruption bonus whenever it seems appropriate. All I can think of is Legacy weapons and some psychic powers, but maybe there are others. Insanity points gained from the below causes can't incur mental traumas (but will still add to getting the next one). (01-20) +0 Touched (21-50) -10 Blessed (51-80) -20 Hallowed (81-99) -30 Saintly

Blessed: gain 1d10 insanity points (keep in mind this is about extreme fervor) and roll a 1d10 on the following table.
(1-5) Gain +10 to fear and pinning tests (6-9) Hatred of the unholy imposes -10 to Forbidden Lore tests and Hatred (Heretics) (10) Gain the attention of your god. Based on the power of your god (ask the GM) you’ll gain some benefits. Look at the dark pacts from the Radical’s Handbook for inspiration. If s/he doesn’t want to do the work then reroll this result.

Hallowed: gain a temporary fate point during an encounter against a daemonic entity. This fate point cannot be burnt and disappears at the end of the encounter if it goes unspent. Gain +10 to Fellowship test with other people of the same faith. And roll a 1d10 on the following table.
(1-5) After spending a fate point roll a d10, on a 10 you gain the fate point back. If you already have this ability from the home world benefit then you regain the fate point on a 9-10. (6-9) May spend a fate point to allow an ally who can hear him/her to reroll a WS or BS test. (10) Gain an additional fate point.

Saintly: Upon burning a fate to live you go to full wounds, no fatigue and cured of any critical effects, even if the damage was incurred before the event that would have killed you. +20 insanity points, +20 to resist mind control, domination, or anything else that prevents you from acting freely. In addition, gain a force field of PR 20 that cannot overload and reduce your corruption by any amount (min 0).

I'm not sure how to do the malignancy test equivalent.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:20 AM, hereth37 said:

I was thinking about making an inverse of corruption points for Adeptus Sororitas and other saintly beings.

First I wanted to see if anyone else has done it for me, but I couldn't find anything. So I'm here looking for ideas or if anyone has something they've made but haven't posted/made easily searchable. 

All I've got so far is that I like the alternate rules for corruption in the Radical's Handbook and wanted to do something like that for faith based points. So no holy mutations, more like bonuses to fate points, fear tests and the like.

There are Faith Talents to handle unusual status.

I doubt equivalent of corruption points makes much sense. Also it smells like easy mode and "Khornate Knights". ?

Something close to Infamy points or Pain Tokens could work, however. Hmm.

Infamy works mostly like Fate points anyway. There were some kustom rules for Fate Points used only for Faith talents, IIRC?

E.g. Power of Faith talent from Heresy Begets Retribution (in Palatine advances, but not a Paragon Talent or something, but with tough XP cost):

Power of Faith	XP:1000	type:Talent	rq:Pure Faith

The Throne Agent can call upon the Power of Faith when things look bleakest and even the most pious man would
fear that the God-Emperor does not look upon them. Once per game session, the Throne Agent may activate a Faith
Power (as if a Fate Point had been spent) without spending a Fate Point, but only when the character has no remaining
Fate Points to spend. This talent may be taken multiple times, and each time it is taken the character may activate an
additional Faith Power for free when she has no remaining Fate Points.

Pain Tokens are more of "you do this, you can go on doing this" thing.

9 hours ago, TBeholder said:

Also it smells like easy mode and "Khornate Knights"

What's that mean?

Pain Tokens are more of "you do this, you can go on doing this" thing.

I don't see how pain tokens are like what I'm looking for. That's for crazy Drukhari.

There are Faith Talents to handle unusual status.  

I've looked at them and they seem very... mediocre. Besides, if one can gain the attention of the warp/chaos gods, why can't they do the same for other non**** beings. (namely the Emperor and maybe Eldar gods?)

Also, and i think most importantly, I'm running DH 2nd ed so there wouldn't normally be a way to gain Pure Faith talents. Thus I was going to make the acquisition of them linked to Faith Points Bonus.

image.thumb.png.ab11eb16de17bdbf60d0291068b0e738.png This is what I've made for the rest of it if anyone cares. I realize it's a bit OP but I wanted my players to care about gaining Faith Points and so I'll balance it later.

On 5/19/2018 at 5:53 PM, hereth37 said:

What's that mean?

A particularly infamous lore incident related to negating corruption. https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Khornate_Knights .

And easy-mode because if there's an easy repeatable way to prevent or remove Corruption, it becomes less of a big deal.

There are ways to block it, but they are not "cheap". Pure Faith requires to lose a Fate Point at the start of an encounter that's probably going to be hard as it is - and to do so before Corruption happens. Blessed Ignorance doesn't allow to see the source of Corruption or Insanity, whether big or small. Spiritual Cleansing cancels Corruption added in previous round only, not a whole lot, and doesn't work if there's too much.

Other talents reduce Corruption by 1 point, some to 1, some to 0, but there can be 1d10 or more per incident. So it's still something to avoid.

I don't see how pain tokens are like what I'm looking for. That's for crazy Drukhari.

Pain tokens are temporary spiritual "assets" earned by action and spent on boosts. Something similar can be done for other cases.

I've looked at them and they seem very... mediocre.

Which ones? From The Inquisitor's Handbook? Blood of Martyrs? And there's some in Rogue Trader.

Besides, if one can gain the attention of the warp/chaos gods, why can't they do the same for other non**** beings. (namely the Emperor and maybe Eldar gods?)

No one else is quite as active in Warp as the "Big 4". Which is why they are such a big trouble in the first place, of course.

Also, and i think most importantly, I'm running DH 2nd ed so there wouldn't normally be a way to gain Pure Faith talents. Thus I was going to make the acquisition of them linked to Faith Points Bonus.

Convert them.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:58 AM, TBeholder said:

And easy-mode because if there's an easy repeatable way to prevent or remove Corruption, it becomes less of a big deal.

I think there's some miscommunication. This is in addition to Corruption, not instead of. In fact (besides that last bit in Saintly) they have nothing to do with each other.

Pain tokens are temporary spiritual "assets" earned by action and spent on boosts. Something similar can be done for other cases. 

I see what you mean now, but I want something permanent. Like to allow a particularly fervent PC to become a living saint type of power level. Okay, that's a little much, but something more than the Faith Powers.

Convert them.

I gave them exp costs and attached their acquisition to gaining the Pure Faith Talent through the blessings table.

Which ones? From The Inquisitor's Handbook? Blood of Martyrs?

Blood of Martyrs

Well, seeing as I felt the Blood of Martyrs powers were too overt and felt like psychic abilities, I’m not sure I can be of much help here :P

personally, anything more overt than the faith talents in the Inquisitor’s Handbook would be too much for me. I’d love if there were more, but changing stats, instantly healing, gaining night vision, or really physically affecting anything that isn’t a daemon or a psychic attack on you is a bit too much for my tastes :D

The idea here does seem to be reverse corruption. What does the character pay in return for these bonuses? Corruption *can* be beneficial but it is also incredibly dangerous. Just pinning another stat onto characters which has only positive concequences will raise their power level. Will the character have to pay XP for these faith powers?

On 5/26/2018 at 10:25 PM, hereth37 said:

I think there's some miscommunication. This is in addition to Corruption, not instead of. In fact (besides that last bit in Saintly) they have nothing to do with each other. 

Well, you started with phrasing it as

On 5/18/2018 at 3:20 AM, hereth37 said:

an inverse of corruption points  for Adeptus Sororitas and other saintly beings.

So the first question is exactly how one will interact with the other. "Not at all" won't make much sense, and "the same with opposite sign" (the most obvious interpretation) would work as "ablative armor" absorption, which is too much.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:25 PM, hereth37 said:

I see what you mean now, but I want something permanent. Like to allow a particularly fervent PC to become a living saint type of power level.

That's how Infamy score works - collect enough and ascend. Close enough to be used as a base.

Of course, Da Emprah isn't as aggressively present as the Big Four, so it should be somewhat harder. But hey, miracles happen.

Equivalents of Prides/Disgraces/Motivations Failings and other details could vary per sect, thanks to heterodoxy. Even different orders of Battle Sisters don't have exactly the same ideals.

10 hours ago, Servant of Dante said:

Well, seeing as I felt the Blood of Martyrs powers were too overt and felt like psychic abilities

Eh, in the end it still goes via Immaterium.

Faith Talents are set up differently from psychic stuff, in that not only there's no separate test, they spend Fate Points, and most of the really powerful effects require to burn one. Of course, using points working like Infamy can change dynamics of that, too. But it's still something too valuable to throw away.

A good option here was focusing more on the rituals, like those Ecclesiarchy services. With both true limitations and traditions surrounding them. At least making seals was described.

10 hours ago, Servant of Dante said:

I’d love if there were more, but changing stats, instantly healing, gaining night vision, or really physically affecting anything that isn’t a daemon or a psychic attack on you is a bit too much for my tastes :D

It still mostly boosts or weakens characteristics or Tests, whether Fear () or Medicae.

Greater miracles are effects burning Fate points - they do more, and usually are obvious, but aren't going to happen every day, even with greatest priests or Sisters around.

My point was I don’t see actual miracles as definitely happening, ever. The closest I ever want to get to a miracle is something that might be one but also might just be luck, skill or strength of will. Blood of Martyrs flies in the face of that.