Warships and Merchant Ships of the Age of Sail

By McKeewa, in Genesys

Hi Friends,

Long story short, I'm GM of a Genesyzed 7th Sea table, and I wanted more settings about warships ... so ... I made it.

Warships and Merchant Ships of the Age of Sail, a supplement to Genesys.

There is mistakes, some important ships are missing and much more... and I will continue to work on it with the time.

Don't hesitate to comment the thing ^^

Have a good day.

PS : Dear @SkyJedi fell free to add the thing to the master list if you think it deserve it.

update 1.0.1 : some correction, and tweaks, added crewmen minions adversary

update 1.0.2 :
Some phrasing
Added Crewmen fight during boarding
Add Xebec

Edited by McKeewa
link resurected

This is a great job!!! I just gave it a quick glance but it seems very complete and awesome. It also looks very professional with appropiate images that for an ignorant of the matter like me help a lot.

Thanks a lot for the work. It will come very handy.

Thanks I tried to think it like someone who knows to GM but not so much for warships. ^^

Really digging this. I'm actually looking into an Age of Sail with a Fantasy twist (thank you, Pillars of Eternity 2) setting for a campaign. This is some wonderful resources. I especially like your rules on cannons/decks.

Specialty skill-wise, I was thinking of a special Knowledge (Sailing) check to cover the basics of sailing (rigging, sails, etc). Operating as the rule for actually sailing a ship (i.e. The Captain), with maybe Navigation thrown in for setting courses, routes, etc.

For combat skills, I was thinking of typical Melee, Ranged (Firearms), Ranged (Archaic) and Ranged (Gunnery).

Makes me want to run a fantasy pirate game so bad

@OgreBane99

Indeed I modified skills for my own campaign, but your seems right ^^ .

In my supplement, I left the basic skill of genesys, but I 'll add a few lines about that ^^

McKeewa,

Well done! In my last episode of Finding the Narrative we talked about vehicles / vehicle combat and I brought up the three-masted ships. This is an awesome document! I really like what you've done here a lot! I've played a 50 Fathoms campaign in Savage Worlds, a Pirates of the Spanish Main campaign in Savage Worlds, and others. Reading what you've got here just makes me want to play those campaigns again. Kudos!

I noticed on page 8 under the weapons for the Cerberus Class ship that you have 2 x 6 PD Long Nines - Fire Arc Backward. Should that be Long Sixes or 2 x 9 PD ?

Excellent job!

Z

10 hours ago, Zszree said:

McKeewa,

Well done! In my last episode of Finding the Narrative we talked about vehicles / vehicle combat and I brought up the three-masted ships. This is an awesome document! I really like what you've done here a lot! I've played a 50 Fathoms campaign in Savage Worlds, a Pirates of the Spanish Main campaign in Savage Worlds, and others. Reading what you've got here just makes me want to play those campaigns again. Kudos!

I noticed on page 8 under the weapons for the Cerberus Class ship that you have 2 x 6 PD Long Nines - Fire Arc Backward. Should that be Long Sixes or 2 x 9 PD ?

Excellent job!

Z

Thank you for your message.

There is indeed some mistakes crawling here and there ^^

I'll update the book this day with some correction and more ^^

This document is amazing. I'm currently working on my own nautical themed setting and even just seeing examples of what other people have done is very valuable. I definitely plan to use some of this as inspiration when i start making my own ships. The only major difference is that my setting leans more toward the cinematic side of sailing rather than the historical. Some inspiration from One Piece; where you can have large galleons with hundreds of crew facing off against small ships with a crack team of sailors.

sounds, great, I'd be curious to see that ^^

Thank you very much!

Someone PLEASE run this online and invite to play in the campaign. I've wanted to play in an age of sail campaign for eons.

Hey amazing resource, planning to do a magic the gathering rpg based on ixalan so loads of pirate goodness.

I was just wondering however how the cannons work on personal scale. Cause it feels odd that a 42 pounder only deals 8 damage. Since single cannon damage is 0.8 and converting to personal scale is x10 damage.

Just wanted to know if there was more personal cannon stats cause i imagine my players will want to use single cannons as ambush weapons against certain dinosaurs.

Small Update ?

update 1.0.2 :
Some phrasing
Added Crewmen fight during boarding
Add Xebec

REV 1.0.2

@McKeewa Link seems to be down.

Link broken :(

On 9/4/2018 at 11:53 AM, Argonoch said:

Hey amazing resource, planning to do a magic the gathering rpg based on ixalan so loads of pirate goodness.

I was just wondering however how the cannons work on personal scale. Cause it feels odd that a 42 pounder only deals 8 damage. Since single cannon damage is 0.8 and converting to personal scale is x10 damage.

Just wanted to know if there was more personal cannon stats cause i imagine my players will want to use single cannons as ambush weapons against certain dinosaurs.

Old Quoting because of reason.....

One thing to define, If someone is hit by a canon ball, he ded !! (at the GM discretion to just amputate the Character)

So silhouette 1 and 2 should be oneshoted

You have the option to add the Breach capacity when firing personnal scale entities. (I would do it)

For 3 and 4, I would recommande put 15 damage for smallest cannons and 20 for biggest. Using gunnery skill, it's somehow the damage we can find on biggest weapons in the GRCB (may not be enough dagame tho) (personnal scale again)

Using cannons like this isn't quite the intended use, so I didn't really thought it.

For exemple, I had a game were PCs decide to make a defence line full of cannons against a wave of cannibals. Pouring the cannons with grapeshot. I rolled, behind the GM screen, the pourcentage of dead in the attacking side. Because, what is the matter of counting points the these cases ?

Nice work!