Beating KariThorne

By Susanooo, in Runewars Tactics

Kari thorne is devastating for me. I dont have any idea how to fight it. Ive tried to kill archers and crosbowmen with solo carrions but one could not catch the elves and other one was killed in close combat with crossbows. in the same time kari, hawkthorne and rune golems melted my 12 tray reanimate unit (kari in close combat finished off Maro that reanimated my skeletons so he was on 1 hp left). Any idea how to beat karithorne as waiqar?

I know this is loose and general, and I agree that Karithorne is a very strong list, but try skipping the Waiqar heroes who are just expensive soft targets and put in more Death Knights. The DK:s are serious threats to non-Ravos heroes, Oathsworn and Rune golems due to their mortal strike capabilities (dial in and artifacts*). And they are good against archers as well since they have both the latest move and a initiative 3 charge, they can close in after the archers have shot and then charge them. With 3 dice + the mortal strike and defence 3, they wreak havoc when engaged with archers. Mohahahaaaa!

*Reaping blade and Obcasium's gauntlet are auto-include.

Edited by Maktorius

Maybe something like this (have not tried it yet though):

200/200
Death Knights [42] 2x2
Reaping Blade [4]
Total Unit Cost: 46

Death Knights [42] 2x2
Obcasiums Gauntlet [5]
Total Unit Cost: 47

Reanimate Archers [32] 2x2
Combat Ingenuity [6]
Total Unit Cost: 38

Carrion Lancers [15] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 15

Carrion Lancers [46] 2x2
Wind Rune [6]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 54

Blight and/or Dispatch Runner.

Death Knights are seriously recommended. For me they are absolutely carrying my Waiqar.

I feel like I should explain more....

Dispatch runner (especially on Knights) allows for you to respond to their charge. Usually Oathsworne give Waiqar a **** of a time as they can win the charge and attack before all your units on the next turn. An initiative 7 or 9 Dispatch Runner allows you to hit them after the charge. Yes, you took damage, but damage you can do during the dispatch should drop their threat. If you have a Reanimate Star, that single attack should expect 8-12 damage. That’s, 2-3 trays gone (they won’t be armored if they charge) and the unit much less of a threat.

File leader also comes in handy. Especially if you combine Raven Standard Bearer and File Leader. If they charge, then you hit them hard first. If they just run into you, then you at least aren’t getting double tapped before you can respond and you may be able to attack first depending on initiative.

KariThorne has absolute bonkers damage output, but is really weak to flanks. If you deploy a set of Knights to the side and use your init7 move+reform, you can set up for flanks. If you have Raven Tabards, then you can beat them to the punch for a flank charge. KariThorne becomes embarrassingly bad if you land flank attacks on those knights.

Wait.... Rune Golems? Get your happy *** an ObcasiummGauntlet and charge the Golems. That’s a lot of dead Golems caused by a 29 point unit.

Honestly though, can you post the build or something close that’s getting you? I’m not sure what variant of KariThorne you are facing

Edited by Church14

I might try big naked block of reanimates like 9 trays or something, 4 trays of death knight (2 trays are too fragile vs shooting in my opinion), maby ardus and some carrion lancers in one unit. So far 2 tray archers with combat ingenuity didnt worked for me well (maby unlucky but they usualy only dealt 1-2 blight with dialed in surge). I faced a list that won recent tournament that was Kari with fortunas dice, hawkthorne with might of daqan and shield of margath (5 shield basicly that deals 5 damage each time i attack him), 4 trays of deepwood archers in 4x1 formation that deal a lot of damage and they have precise so 4 threat with rerolls, 3 tray crossbowmen with rank discipline (again 3 threat with reroll. Even carrion in meele could take them down) and 2 units of golems, one 2 tray and one 1 tray. Ive tried 12 tray reanimates with ressurecting solo maro (he ressurected 4 trays but then couldnt do a thing) 2 solo carrions(one was killec in melee by crossbowmen and other one was chasing archers) and 2 units of 2 tray reanimate archers with combat ingeniuty (blight was taken away by tons of inspiration tokens and i usually dealt 1 blight anyway). Other time ive tried 4 carrions unit (one dead carrion per turn by shooting) and death knight managed to kill kari once but then they got shooted to death. thats why 2 tray is too fragile to me and i need 4 trays at LEAST. I will try 4 tray carrions, 4 tray death knights, 6-9 trays reanimates and ardus (maby he will work) and will see if i have some spare points for archers. Here is one idea (but with 2 tray death knights)

Ardus IxErebus [37] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Ancient Technique [2]
Total Unit Cost: 45

Carrion Lancers [46] 2x2
Master-Crafted Weapons [4]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 55

Reanimates [35] 3x2
Necromancer [3]
Aggressive Drummer [5]
Lingering Dead [3]
Total Unit Cost: 46

Reanimate Archers [18] 2x1
Combat Ingenuity [6]
Total Unit Cost: 24

Death Knights [24] 2x1
Obcasiums Gauntlet [5]
Total Unit Cost: 29

And here is second one that i will try in near future. It has 3 heavy hitting units and nice flanker in form of arrdus but no ranged support

Ardus IxErebus [37] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Ancient Technique [2]
Total Unit Cost: 45

Carrion Lancers [46] 2x2
Master-Crafted Weapons [4]
Moment of Inspiration [5]
Total Unit Cost: 55

Reanimates [35] 3x2
Necromancer [3]
Blighted Vexillum Bearer [3]
Aggressive Drummer [5]
Lingering Dead [3]
Total Unit Cost: 49

Death Knights [42] 2x2
Obcasiums Gauntlet [5]
Deathmist Banners [4]
Total Unit Cost: 51

Here is the exact list im trying to beat, but i dont want to side to it too much cause its not the only list in tournament for example. Just i want SOME answers if i end up fighting it.

Kari Wraithstalker [32] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Rune Golems [28] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 28

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Wind Rune [6]
Metered March [2]

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 34

2 hours ago, Warlordus said:

Here is the exact list im trying to beat, but i dont want to side to it too much cause its not the only list in tournament for example. Just i want SOME answers if i end up fighting it.

Kari Wraithstalker [32] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Rune Golems [28] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 28

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Wind Rune [6]
Metered March [2]

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 34

That looks like an easy one to counter with Deathcall Disco. The archers and crossbowmen are the only thing that wouldn't get rick-rolled by the disco.

You'd have to play carefully, but Kari is too fast to be able to move into range to shoot without getting killed by disco. After she falls, everything else is downhill from there.

Edited by playnwin

Deathcall disco was that list with 2x 6 tray reanimates with deathcaller and support carrion lancer or just one unit of it?

You need two so you can get Kari down. Otherwise she can use Fortunas to guarantee sniping out the deathcaller.

I really hope someone can try this out as a counter to their archer part of the list:

Reanimate Archers [45] 3x2
Raven-Standard Bearer [3]
Combat Ingenuity [6]
Total Unit Cost: 54

Here's the deal: This thing attacks with threat 3 at initiative 4, so it will *always* fire before the elves and the crossbowmen. With Combat Ingenuity and a dialed in surge, you're going to throw 1+ blight on their counter attack. Now their return fire is going to be 1 die about ~50% of the time, or zero dice the other half (assuming no banked inspiration). I think your strategy is to keep doing the initiative 6 or 7 movements (or shifts) until you are in range of their archers or xbows. The following rounds you're always attacking first and throwing down the blight.

Another consideration, since you have 6 trays of archers, you could also look at adding a [5] Shield Wall to this as well. Now you can shield wall against their initial attack (which is probably consuming some inspiration) to halve any damage you take.

So I'm posturing to counter their ranged with your own beefy ranged unit. You'll just need something outfront to intercept their rune golems or Hawthorne. A couple single tray whatevers my work.