Behind Closed Doors

By Nighthawk101, in Mansions of Madness

I see on the statistics page that this new scenario has gone straight to the top as the hardest scenario to play. I have yet to buy the Twilight expansion , but am already looking forward to this one. Is it really that hard ?!

Plays: 296 - 76.98% - EFI

Plays: 13 - 84.62% - BCD

:facepalm

Edited by Shooock
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, Nighthawk101 said:

I see on the statistics page that this new scenario has gone straight to the top as the hardest scenario to play. I have yet to buy the Twilight expansion , but am already looking forward to this one. Is it really that hard ?!

Uh, no? There's a tangential reason for its difficulty. There is an undisclosed timer that is running in the background of the scenario. After a certain number of turns you will be informed that you failed, and the game ends.

BGG had a discussion thread that you had to do a specific something [mild spoiler], but I retried the mission the next day performing that action. It made a difference in the timing of events, but not in the success or failure of the mission. The difficulty of the mission is the unseen clock.

By-the-by, the 2 investigators that are included in the expansion, Lily Chen & Charlie Kane, are great choices for that mission.

Don’t all the scenarios have this hidden timer mechanic ? From my experience if you take too long you will run out of time and fail or the Mythos phases get so hard you end up getting crushed and eliminated. Maybe this particular scenario is just more urgent than the others giving the investigators less time to achieve what they need to. I’m still looking forward to playing it.

I have the Streets of Arkham expansion but am undecided which expansion to buy next ?

(Very minor spoilers.)

We played BCD last night and hated it. Even having read this thread and knowing that there's a hidden timer, its "Times up, you lose" ending was so anticlimactic. And the entire adventure was just a repetitive series of fetch-quests involving equally repetitive puzzles. Worst adventure yet IMO.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, pklevine said:

(Very minor spoilers.)

We played BCD last night and hated it. Even having read this thread and knowing that there's a hidden timer, its "Times up, you lose" ending was so anticlimactic. And the entire adventure was just a repetitive series of fetch-quests involving equally repetitive puzzles. Worst adventure yet IMO.

I'm with you on all accounts.

As for random timers being prevalent in all missions, I'm not sure that's true. The Innsmouth one (whose name I forget, but it's the second scenario from the core set), I never remember losing to time. I remember losing to the mob, or to hybrids/deep ones chasing me into the bell tower. It could easily have a timer I don't remember, but I prefer being overrun if we fail to defeat the scenario quickly enough rather than just an, "Oops, you took to long. Good-bye." Felt like we were being monitored by that lady from the Weakest Link.

On a lesser criticism, I was hoping for a cool mission involving the underbelly of the Order of the Silver Twilight. Perhaps sneaking around, trying to gather information and interrogating named cultists. I was almost more let down by the story than by the mechanics.