Getting non-AGOT fans to try the game...

By jl_zao, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hi folks,

Okay, I've got a question and maybe a challenge for you.

I have a few friends that I regularly play games with. They enjoy playing games, but I'm by far the biggest geek among them, and their patience for learning new games is not too high (I'm sure you know the type). Moreover, they have a harder time with ccg-type games as opposed to board games, and the card games they do like tend to be sci-fi themed (netrunner, x-files...). I've mentioned AGOT a few times and they haven't really shown much interest.

So, my question: what tips/strategies do you have for getting people interested in this game when they haven't read the books, and they aren't super into fantasy-themed games? Do you have ways of reframing the game to non-readers that make people more interested in the cards and factions and characters? Please, anything will help, and it could be a fun discussion.

On the plus side, I think my friends will really dig the theme of Call of Cthulhu when the core set comes out, but I really, really want to play AGOT with them and I'm struggling to figure out how to hook them.

One possibility: how is the multiplayer of the core set? Maybe if I just present it as a board-game experience and play up some of the interesting multiplayer dynamics I can get them more excited. I don't know. What have other people tried?

Thanks in advance for your help, your suggestions, and your creativity in "marketing" this great game!

Jeremy

#1 Jeremy...make it to my aGoT nights!?!!!!!?!!! :)

#2 - yes, show it as a board game, which really for MP Core set it kind of is.

Rings!

Thanks for replying. When are the AGOT nights?? I was looking at the First Pick calendar and didn't see anything. I'd very much like to come and play some time!

Also any chance for Organized Play at the store in January?

Jeremy

jl_zao said:

Rings!

Thanks for replying. When are the AGOT nights?? I was looking at the First Pick calendar and didn't see anything. I'd very much like to come and play some time!

Also any chance for Organized Play at the store in January?

Jeremy

Welcome!!!

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=285

Here's the organized play infos.

I had the same problem.

Then, I decided to let them try the Core Set as a game board, focusing on the fact that it is playable in Joust (1 against 1) without spending lots of money, espanding the collection with 10 euros per month.

Result: they picked up a core set and are completely addicted to the game.

I've to say that 2 of them have read the books, but someone did not...Started to do it after playin' the game.

I suggest you to let them play basic strategies that are similar to the game they actually play.

If they just like having a good time with war-ish games were they kill something after another, teach them play with stark and focus on an aggressive approach. I don't think they'd like control-slow strategies.

A friend of mine doesn't like card games in general, but it's a kind of "power player" who likes the direct kill and the feeling of being Strongest on the military side (strange people, aren't they?)

Bara and Stark are wounderful suggestions: not so complicated on a basic level and very funny.

Good luck Jeremy. If you're in Rings' meta - that will really help.

Personally, i have never had lcuk getting non -ASoIaF fans to stick with the game. I think its biggest long term appeal is to fans of the series.

I think one of the biggest selling point is the plot deck. My friends and I hate games where random, dumb luck wins the game, or where bad luck can prevent you from competing. Creating your own plot deck with search, kill, etc., is a great way to elevate strategy above luck, but maintaining the randomness of a game that is different every time you play.

jmccarthy said:

I think one of the biggest selling point is the plot deck. My friends and I hate games where random, dumb luck wins the game, or where bad luck can prevent you from competing. Creating your own plot deck with search, kill, etc., is a great way to elevate strategy above luck, but maintaining the randomness of a game that is different every time you play.

Totally agree.

I think MtG players would sell their soul to abort the Lands mechanic.

It's great when you build up the ultimate deck, with the ultimate combo and lose the game 'cause you draw 4 lands, isn't it?

gran_risa.gif

So, this may sound weird, but I'm home for Xmas, and I'm demoing the game to quite a few of my friends that would *never* generally do the whole CCG thing (or really card games in general), and are not typically into the fantasy thing either that much either, so I was sort of in the exact same boat. What got quite a few of them interested was the LCG concept. Because it was new, and they hadn't heard of it. "Wait, so you get new expansions *monthly*?!"

Fact: People love shiny new things.

Fact: The LCG concept is shiny and new.

I've demo'd the heck out of it, and have been asked by several more friends to do so throughout the week, because they're intrigued by the concept. Granted, this probably doesn't work at all for people you've already mentioned it to. It was easy for me -- I brought down 15 board games, and while everyone's eyes were all lit up with glee and I was going down the line, I threw in a little bit about what an LCG was, and questions were asked.

Aside from that, I agree about the plot deck. It's an amazing concept and mechanic that can really perk up peoples' interest.

The Red Woman said:

"Wait, so you get new expansions *monthly*?!"

Weeeellll.............. that part is a little iffy....................

Great to hear people were so interested though. I'm wondering, how many of those people were MMO players of one kind or another?

Kennon said:

The Red Woman said:

"Wait, so you get new expansions *monthly*?!"

Weeeellll.............. that part is a little iffy....................

Great to hear people were so interested though. I'm wondering, how many of those people were MMO players of one kind or another?

The people that were concerned were calmed by the fact that they were completely optional. A few of them were MMO players, most of them just general console or board gamers. We've been having fun with it, though.

jl_zao said:

So, my question: what tips/strategies do you have for getting people interested in this game when they haven't read the books, and they aren't super into fantasy-themed games? Do you have ways of reframing the game to non-readers that make people more interested in the cards and factions and characters? Please, anything will help, and it could be a fun discussion.

If they are interested in board games perhaps you should try out the "Iron Throne"-Boardgame. There they can pick up a little about the lay of the land and the houses in a more "traditionell" style. If they get hooked (which they are going to because it is a good game all by itself) you can point to the more "intriguing" LCG. And who knows perhaps they get interested enough to read the books. Just a suggestion.