Heroic Abilities

By lecudas, in Realms of Terrinoth

Has anyone else experimented with custom Heroic Abilities? Our GM approved this ability, which I suggested because I wanted to create a "battle bard." Some may say that it crosses over to other types of magic too much, but I really like the flavor. How about you guys? Have you made anything?

TUNEWEAVING

Your character has a mystical connection to the Turning, which they access through their prowess in singing or musical ability. Whether through playing the bell lyre, horn, pipe or through singing ancient melodies of arcane origins, the character can summon ancient magic in a way few bards or troubadours have ever achieved.

Base: When choosing this Heroic Ability at character creation, pick either Attack, Barrier or Conjuring. While the Heroic Ability is activated, the character may use Verse to cast spells within the type he has chosen with an additional rank in Verse. As a maneuver, the character may also chose one minion group within medium range. That group will not make a combat check against the character for the duration of the ability, unless attacked first.

Improved: The character may choose an additional type of magic, above the one chosen for the Base ability (Attack, Barrier or Conjuring). As an incidental, the character may also chose one minion group within medium range. That group will not make a combat check against the character for the duration of the ability, unless attacked first.

Supreme: The character may choose an additional type of magic, above the one chosen for Base and Improved Tuneweaver (Attack, Barrier or Conjuring). As an incidental, the character may also target all minion groups within medium distance. Those groups will not make a combat check against the character for the duration of the ability, unless attacked first.

Edited by lecudas

I slightly tweaked sixth sense for my Singharan character to make it fit the empathy and tactile nature of felines, adapting it to apply to humans and elves and any other potentially in tune with nature beings- reflecting cats' ability to pick up non-verbal signals, read other living things and weigh them up (threat or friend? - that kind of thing), have an affinity with them and nature and so on. Also fits the 'there's something about cats' belief they may be a bit supernatural and that whilst they can have a fierce side they can also make great companions, knowing what you need of them, when to offer some tlc, and communicating / picking up communication in sometimes unseen ways (also fits things like scent and possibly reading hormonal/health cues), may research cats a bit more to fine-tune it.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
added sentence

I was thinking of one that allows moving one range band as an incidental per round. Potentially ignoring obstacles.

On 5/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, jackissocool said:

I was thinking of one that allows moving one range band as an incidental per round. Potentially ignoring obstacles.

That's really powerful! How would this look like mechanically - especially at Improved and Supreme level?

Inspired by the unmatched mobility Signature ability from Star Wars I would do this:

Basic: You never suffer the usual penalties for moving through difficult terrain. Whilst active you may make 3 manoeuvres in a round instead of the usual two. This third manoeuvre is gained in the usual ways (Eg 2 Strain or Two Advantage).

Improved: Whilst your Heroic Ability is active you also gain one additional free manoeuvre per round.

Supreme: Whilst your Heroic Ability is active you gain two additional free manoeuvres each round, for a total of three.

Alternative Supreme: You permanently gain an additional free manoeuvre each round, this is in addition to the benefits of Improved

Edited by Richardbuxton