Dreamwalkers of Mennara, a Realms of Terrinoth community campaign

By verdantsf, in Realms of Terrinoth

Across Mennara, a strange new magic is at work, tightening the skeins of fate. A score of adventurers hailing from many lands have become connected through their dreams. The heroism experienced and knowledge gained before waking still endure in the light of day. What power has drawn these individuals together and for what purpose? Only time will tell…

Are you a player eager to give the Genesys fantasy setting a try, but don't have a group? Are you a GM who likes to alternate duties with others so you can also play sometimes? Come join Dreamwalkers of Mennara, a Realms of Terrinoth community campaign! Using Roll20 and Discord, it follows a “participate when you can” approach, where anyone who is available to GM or play can step in for a weekly adventure in the Realms.

Campaign FAQ :

Dreamwalkers of Mennara Discord

Dreamwalkers of Mennara Youtube Playlist

Character Creation using S  kyJedi’s Genesys Emporium

event_theme.jpg

Edited by verdantsf

my jackass "friends" (who are also my gaming group of the last 20 years) seem to be dragging their asses as far as getting together behind a Terrinoth Campaign that I've been eager to run...so, I find myself looking for other people that might want to either let me play (already have a paladin-style character build ready) or would enjoy having me GM (this GM is full of spiders, btw)

I've been gaming for the last 30 or so years of my life, but I will admit to being COMPLETELY new as far as online-tabletop gaming - I've got discord, not sure if I have rolld20 (I picked up exactly one online gaming tabletop simulator thingy, have never used it, maybe fantasygrounds? that sound familiar?) so someone would have to walk me through the basics of using those systems together, but otherwise, I'm up for it

also, on an almost totally unrelated note, if we have a large number of SoCal gamers (I'm in Cypress) that want to play a campaign in the Terrinoth/Runebound world, I'm your guy - player or GM... (end shameless plug)

Roll20 is free and web-based :). Here's a look at the system in action from my Fallout campaign:

A challenger appears

As a player, it's pretty intuitive after the GM has set everything up. For the GM-side, I plan to run a tutorial in June on making slides and linking sound files for all the potential Terrinoth GMs.

Edited by verdantsf

Do I need RoT to play or can I get by with the CRB?

Edited by jackissocool

I can help with basic character creation, but you'll need the Realms sourcebook for everything else. It's only $25 at DriveThruRPG and well worth the price.

so, if we're actually going to join this thing - what do we need, and when are we first meeting and/or what's the schedule going to be like?

Here's the campaign FAQ .

Darn! I wish this was on Fantasy Grounds. I've spent a lot of time working with it for the Star Wars campaign I run and the Genesys conversion is pretty good. All fan made, but it's really good for a free ruleset on the App. I don't know I'm smart enough to learn another system like Roll20. Hopefully this takes off more so than the Mass Effect campaign. I'll keep watching. :)

Have joined the Discord, what else needs doing apart from making my character and when to dive in? Just learning Genesys although I'll be studying it in depth as I'm making a big campaign set in Mennara!

What character 'species' / key profiles and home locales do we have on the player side thus far so I can be a bit unique/ possibly benefical by difference to the party? Quite like the idea of being catfolk or similarly one of the lion-persons (One of the Singhara from Zanaga!) if we don't already have similar on the player side.

Here's the campaign FAQ and character roster .

Cheers, have just emailed you for drive access. Which timezone is the session Sat, May 19, 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM which I take it is the planned first session? I'm on UK time but should be able to join that if it translates o.k. to UK time (and work of course)

Google auto-translated the time when you went to the event page :). It's Noon - 3pm US Pacific for me.

Yay! 8pm Saturday 19th UK time is perfect for me! I'm in (if it's not already full- I note you have 5 people at the moment?)

Great! FYI, the current 5th player joined after another had to drop. We still have a week to go, so you might still get in. I'll add you to the wait list. However, if there's enough interest, I might run a second session. Keep an eye on the Discord channel for more updates.

Edited by verdantsf

I'm very interested in this as I really want to play in the Terrinoth setting, I will also probably be GM'ing alot for my RL friends and seeing as I've only ever done that once before (weekend just gone using the GenCon adventure) it would be beneficial for me to play with you guys or atleast watch. However, I've never used Roll20 before.

From what I can see there is now a waiting list, which hopefully I'll just be able to join.

I am excited about the potential in regards to the Terrinoth Genesys community though!

Edited by Zaaik

1 hour ago, Zaaik said:

I am excited about the potential in regards to the Terrinoth Genesys community though!

I can see me running some of my Terrinoth-set campaign online at some point in the future as well (I'm currently creating it so I'll keep people posted!)

On creating my character, the leader of The Forest of Claws Singhara pride, I was asked on the discord:

What brought Saṃsāra to Terrinoth?

It's a long way from home. Was someone else left to rule in his stead in Zanaga?

Some good questions which I'll think about for his background. I was already thinking that the pride through its territorial nature (limited numbers) may need assistance in fighting off the threat from Tarakhe's ongoing 'infectious presence' as detailed in the Zanaga section of RoT, the cities of Terrinoth perhaps also being a source of knowledge and expertise/experts on health, medicine, fighting disease/infection etc (Terrinoth has had to fend off similar taints and threats from the mistlands and Uthuk and its great cities would likely be more advanced in medical and similar matters).

I'm also imagining the character as one with a desire to venture out fueled by his fearlessness and cat-like curiosity to explore what else is out there for the benefit of his peoples, and maybe even hope to find a safer home (which it seems may be a challenge in Mennara!) It's a big decision leaving his pride, especially as it means not being there for them, so is likely to have a number of motivations which could also include pressures from competing prides, hostility from other races/species and thus the need to explore lest there ever be a need to relocate (although lionfolk will only do so if they have to, territory is not readily surrendered unless a better option is found) and also perhaps try and build bridges (as with the lions we know closer to home, there have been kills of other races/species be it for food or from fear as either side, or both, has feared the other- so some other species' individuals can be hostile to the Singhara. This itself could be a relocation pressure.)

Perhaps Saṃsāra knows the other catfolk in the party and they've told him of their adventures (or planned adventures) and he's got the adventuring bug., keen to join them.

A bit like any political leader there is also that element of needing to find allies and potential friends/support as there is a growing pressure for insular Mennara societies to be less so as many threats are rising against these realms and isolation could mean extinction. Especially with the rumours of Waiqar, the Uthuk and Tarakhe's followers realising the dangerous potential of uniting. Leaders, seers and scholars alike sense something ominous is looming over these lands. That's how I'm building it for my campaign (I'm likely to use the character as a key NPC in that as I liked the creation enough)- what similar avenues would you and the others most like the character to bring to this adventure?

And I'm sure the fact he's had to entrust the pride to another has potential for use as GM in this adventure- what if he neglects his pride? How will he manage adventuring/exploring and serving the role he has back home? Will there be a rival competing to take his place?

Edited by Watercolour Dragon

What I will say about the adventure you're playing (which hasn't already been said) is that starting characters will find this adventure quite tough, especially in regards to the final battle, so you may have to nerf some of the enemies. (Or manipulate the GM Dice rolls so characters don't get wrecked :P)

Yup, I've reworked the adventure to fit a starting party. Also, thanks to SWRPG, I always do open GM rolls. With the Narrative Dice System, it's fun to collaborate with the players on unexpected results.

Edited by verdantsf

I'm liking your dreamwalking/ adventurers drawn together idea- looking forward to your story unfolding within our adventures.

Recording of Session 1b, the canon entry from this weekend's three runs. Made a mistake with the Blast rules at the end, but also forgot about the ongoing boost die from burrow gnome militia training, so it all evened out.

Edited by verdantsf

I had a great time. Can't wait for next session!

Listened to your first session! Was fun. When do you all play and are you still looking for others to join?

52 minutes ago, MosesofWar said:

Listened to your first session! Was fun. When do you all play and are you still looking for others to join?

all that info is in the first post bud ? pop in the discord and say hello

The party's investigation leads them to Nerekhall, where malevolent magic once held sway:

Edited by verdantsf