What to watch next

By LTD, in Star Wars: Armada Off-Topic

My son (7) is a Star Wars fan, but I want him to get the real experience.

So we started with New Hope, and add a new movie each year on May 4th.

It has been great, since I’ve been able to keep a lot of spoilers for him (and his sisters, though they don’t care so much).

We just watched Jedi (return of the), and eyes went wide and gasps were heard when Luke and Leia’s Sibling hood was revealed.

I now have a year to decide what to show next. Do we stay OT Ish with Rogue One, or go Prequels?

I havenever been a huge fan of the prequels, but little kids like the robots and laser swords.

Thoughts?

Edited by LTD

I'd go with the prequels, when they are still at an age to appreciate Jar Jar (yes, I like him, but he's funnier the younger you are), then introduce Rogue One when they are older, hopefully thereby being able to grasp some of the more subtler plot points. Then go for the Sequels, though as that'd be 5 years away, a lot will probably have changed by then. . .

Edit: Of course, a lot of the better bits of the prequels are in the background (i.e. what happens, why, how it represents government, etc) so maybe that should be saved. . . . meh, I'd still say show the prequels first.

Edited by GhostofNobodyInParticular

I'd agree with Ghost on this.

Laser Swords and Robots...

I’d go with the Prequels too. Episodes I and II will be pretty fun for that age.

Machete Order is still good but I wonder how the new movies affect it....

(Ep IV -> Ep V -> FLASHBACK ( EP II, EP III) -> EP VI

doesn't spoil the father reveal then goes on to show the origins of DV as luke discovers them, then Luke slightly more dark side goes into ep VI.

... maybe Solo and rogue one can be placed before IV in the order...

sequel films are back to back ( think that was a bad choice for the story but whatever) but imagine if you get to place them before and after the order, force awakens -> but who is luke -> but who i darth vader -> Luke wins -> Sequel again

I am going to call this the Tesseract order:

Epiode VII, solo, rogue one, episode IV, episode V, ( EP I optional) episode II episode III episode VI, EPisode VIII?

could we? SHOULD WE? DARE WE?!?!?

Edited by Geressen

When I organize the Star Wars movies on my HDD, I go I, II, III, Rogue One, IV, V,VI, VII, VIII.

Thanks for suggestions...

I’m going to avoid the sequels as long as possible I think.

Phantom, Attack, then Clone Wars - that will be a fun 2021...

Rise in 2022.

By then he’ll be old enough to choose his own brain manipulation...

I remember reading an episode of the web-comic "Dork Tower" where a dad is getting ready to show his son the original trilogy, and this is after his little boy has already seen the prequel trilogy.

The dad is like: "Ok, son, now I'm gonna show you the Star Wars I grew up with." The son is intrigued.

As they're watching the movies, the son is saying: "Wow, that old guy does a rad Ewan McGregor impersonation!" and says a few other things that are, of course, out of order in the dad's mind. So the dad ends up locking himself in a bathroom, bawling and crying. LOL!

at some point they will learn about the existence of the prequels, so they could watch them, also if they watch prequels they can watch Clone Wars with it

and if you want more OT stuff, I really like Rebels,

Rogue One, VII and VIII could be for later ages

The "anti-cheese" fan edits of the prequels are truly brilliant. It makes them really good movies.

Clone Wars and Rebels are both excellent animated series. I hope that Resistance (I think that's what it's called), the upcoming anime style animated series (also helmed by Dave Filoni who did the first two CG animated series) turns out as high quality in storytelling.

I've often thought, more than once, about getting an external hard drive for solely the Star Wars saga.... Eps I, II, The Clone Wars series, III, Rogue One, Solo, IV, V, VI, Resistance, VII, VIII, IX...and whatever other Star Wars films/shows come along.

I also did enjoy Gendy Tartakovski's Clone Wars animated series.